MIT Lincoln Laboratory Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Technical Staff Interview Questions

3.1

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Lexington, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Many individual interviews during the day with a couple of different departments. and a technical presentation. I arrived during the morning and met briefly with the human resources person, then spent the rest of the day in one on one or two on one interviews. Ended the day with a presentation of technical work.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in MIT Lincoln Laboratories   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Lexington, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online and HR contacted me a few days later to come in for an interview. The time from applying to receiving an offer was 8 weeks. Meet with HR first. They described the benefits, and interview process. Had 4 one-on-one interviews with managers and technical staff members. Meet with HR and the end and checked out.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult was asked. Most questions related to my previous work experience.   Answer Question

I would have loved to work for Lincoln Labs. The initial salary offer was only 1.5% more than I was making at the time. I tried to negotiate a higher salary, but it didn't increase much. I couldn't justify moving to an area with a high cost of living without much of a salary increase.

Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Interview

I arrived to the Lincoln campus at a little before 9:00 am on the day of my interview. I waited about 20 minutes for the HR representative to retrieve me from the lobby. The interview began with the HR representative asking general questions about my background. Things along the lines of, why are you interested in this job and why are you looking to leave your old job? This discussion was very friendly and informal. This initial stage took about 30 or 40 minutes.

The second portion of the interview was with the group leader. It was at this point that I received a full description of the position. This was perhaps the most intense part of the day and the only part that felt like I was being quizzed. After this hour I though all was lost and I should be getting on my way.

After the first interview, I met with about 5 more members of senior technical staff and technical staff members for 0.5 hours a piece. These interviews were much more colloquial. Mostly we talked about things that were on their mind or small problems that crop up while doing research. This portion of the day went well.

Following the morning of interviews I met up with a few of the people I saw throughout the day at the Lincoln cafeteria. I tried to initiate casual talk about some of the technical problems I heard about throughout the day and everyone was responsive. Lunch turned out to be pretty fun.

To end the day, I met with 3 or 4 more staff members and gave a hour long seminar before my quick HR exit interview. The seminar was on some of my Ph.D. research and was received with interest even though it was an unfamiliar topic for many people in the room.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Two day interview with three different groups. Met with different members from each group for 20-30 minutes to talk about what I do and what they do. Additionally gave research talk on first day of the interview. Meetings with individual staff members ranged from very useful to not useful at all. Some were very interested in my research and 20-30 minutes seemed way too short, some had very little use and the professional stuff ended after 5-10 and we talked about the company or Boston in general. Everyone was very nice. I'm marking it as difficult, not because of difficult technical questions, but rather because doing two 8 hour days back to back with non-stop mini meetings was very tiring

Interview Questions

• Most were specific about my current research   1 Answer

Negotiation

They contacted me and asked me what it would take salary wise to accept their offer. Since it's an FFRDC there are not other added benefits (e.g. stock options, etc), and the other stuff like medical and retirement is all fixed. I send them a range of about 10k and they contacted me with a number about 1k off the high end of my scale and I accepted

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Lexington, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Three-stage interview process: 1-on-1 (general), phone (experiential and behavioral), on-site (technical and informational). The on-site stage was most exhaustive. It was a day-long series of 10-30 minute mini-interviews with members of management and staff. It also included an hour-long research talk. Technical questions were fielded throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• Can you give a detailed description of any projects where you've used [some skill listed on resume]?   Answer Question

Technical Staff Interview

Interview

I discovered MIT Lincoln Laboratory at a job fair hosted by my university and signed up for an interview. I was not asked to participate in a phone screening, but was instead invited to the lab for a full interview loop. I was also asked to give a ~30-minute presentation of my academic work, partly to see if I was a good technical fit but also to gauge my presentation skills.

Interview Questions

• There were some good technical questions asked during my presentation, but they were very domain-specific and not worth repeating here. However, the obvious conclusion is that you should be very well prepared when you present.   Answer Question

Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Interview

The first interview was with a recruiter on campus during the college career fair. After talking to me for about 10 minutes and quickly looking through my resume, an interview was scheduled for the next day. During that interview I was mostly asked to explain my research and how it might be relevant to work done at LL. I was then advised to fill out an online application, being sure to note my school code, and apply for all positions that show up when searching for my major. I was contacted by a different employee a month later, during which I inquired about the status of my application multiple times with the HR and the recruiter. This was a phone interview, where again I was asked about my research, as well as various specifics of my background--including course work, programming experience, etc. At the end of the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted about scheduling an onsite interview, and sure enough, about a week after the phone interview someone from the HR contacted me about scheduling my visit. The scheduling was very smooth, with LL putting nearly all travel expenses (car rental, hotel, airfare) on their company card, and I got reimbursed for the remaining expenses very promptly. The onsite interview lasted a day and a half: I talked to people from 3 different groups, including the group leaders as well as staff at my level, and I also gave a presentation about my research on the first day. As a side note, I was asked to send my abstract at the last minute (same day as my flight), and also email my slides, again at the last minute (the night before), so make sure you check your email frequently before the interview. Most of the people I talked to were very nice, and didn't grill me--mostly I was asked about my research projects, experience, and interests. There were a couple of cliched questions such as "where do you see yourself in five years" as well. The group I interviewed with on the second day was more intense, as apparently none of the group members were able to attend my talk, and as a result I had to essentially give my talk in five minutes over and over again (I admit it got tiring and annoying at some point). One of the group members asked me a detailed technical question--the only one during my interview process--about the Fourier transform of the signal coming from a radar detector under some conditions (I don't remember exactly). I can't do Fourier transforms in my head and I didn't answer that very well. Some of the people I interviewed with asked about my national origin, even though I believe that it's illegal of them to do so. I am not sure why they were asking that, I suppose out of curiosity. My application was rejected a month later, even though I kept contacting the HR contact person periodically to check up on the status of things, and even informing them of another job offer I received did not speed things up. Overall, LL made a very positive impression on me, but I have no idea why their hiring process is so slow, and why it takes them so long to reject an applicant.

Interview Questions

• What is the Fourier transform of the signal coming from a radar detector under some conditions (I don't remember exactly)?   Answer Question

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Response

Aug 8, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

We are pleased that you were overall favorably impressed. It is a concern that you were asked about your country of national origin. The Laboratory is fully committed to legal and regulatory... More

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Lexington, MA).

Interview

Phone interview, technical presentation and face to face interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

1 month of background checks

Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Interview

I got the interview through on-campus recruiting. They had me present my graduate work (essentially my thesis defense) to the group, and I met with several interviewers including the group leaders. No particularly challenging or unusual interview questions. I think the interviewees with a background in the same area that my group works in get much more difficult questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Definitely try to negotiate!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (Lexington, MA).

Interview

- Submitted resume at career fair - told to apply online (yadda yadda)
    - on-site interview arranged via career center
    - *no* behavioral questions - spent full 45 min discussing my research
    - am I authorized to work in the US?
    - was told HR is slow, but to get in touch if I got another offer (??)

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem that you solved with your graduate work   Answer Question