MITRE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 18, 2017

2.8

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clarksburg, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Clarksburg, WV) in September 2016.

Interview

The interviews were setup through a career fair and and you needed to apply online to the career fair job listing first. The next stage was a phone screening about 2 weeks prior to the career fair. At the career fair there were a series of meetings with groups of 4-7 employees as well as some waiting time in-between meetings. Near the end I met with the HR representative. The process was very challenging but everyone was friendly and the atmosphere was very welcoming. The process made it apparent they take a great deal of interest if who they hire, not just the resume.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a class and an a class instance   1 Answer

/Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Representatives came to the campus, each person had a time slot with them where they would ask questions/get to know you. Mainly discussion of prior internships and school projects that I worked on.

Communications Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MITRE in August 2016.

Interview

I was scheduled for a 30-minute phone interview a few weeks after applying for the job. The interviewer was haphazard. She didn't offer clear instructions about whether she would call me or if I should call her, even after I specifically asked about this preference. On the interview day and time, I called in but was not able to reach her. I then received an email that she was running late and could I call Skype, which had not been previously mentioned as an option, or her number. I called back and finally reached her.

She asked questions that were contrary to the position description for which I applied. My resume had been tailored to the description. Shortly into the interview, she surmised that I wasn't suitable based on my resume, leaving me to wonder why she wanted to talk at all. I have an abundance of experience in the areas she wanted to know about, which I described, and I submitted an addendum to my resume. She agreed, but I never heard back.

Overall, the process was disorganized with obviously shifting, but unforthcoming, priorities within the company. I feel like I wasted my time.

Interview Questions

• Have you developed communications strategies for senior management?   Answer Question

Operations Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA).

Interview

Good experience. Had a couple phone interviews with non-HR, non-hiring personnel as a screen. Then phone with HR, followed up by a half-day on site where I made a presentation and met with a half-dozen would-be co-workers. All of them were exceptionally nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• Interviews were conversational, but probed for functional knowledge of modeling and statistics, and did dig into techniques and methods a bit. For a true math/stats person the Qs were probably on the easy side. If you're more of a generalist or non-technical they were more moderate. Certainly nothing especially difficult if you've gotten through the initial stages I'd guess.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Very professional phone interview by management followed by a very long full day on site interview. Had to give a 45 minute presentation which took quite a while to prepare. The team was very enthusiastic about the presentation, asking plenty of questions which made that part of the day fly by. Then between 6 and 8 one on one interviews with the engineers in the group. It was clear who had industry experience and who didn't at this point. Unfortunately the people who introduced themselves as senior engineers asked the most ridiculous questions, prodding to get proprietary information. I even ended up having to politely refuse to answer one question. I think he was offended, so that was purposely followed by a string of ridiculous trick questions (not only trick, but not related to my current job) which I found completely unprofessional. It also came up later in another one on one about my performance in that previous one-on-one. That's when I knew I wasn't going to get an offer, and again, very unprofessional.

I didn't get an offer but I'm glad I didn't because I probably would have accepted at the time. Many of the negative experiences I've read on this site were a mirror image of my own. Same advice as everyone else, if you're fresh out of college it really did look like the place to be. Otherwise, if you have industry experience and unless someone is referring you, I wouldn't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• A group of in-flight airplanes are running an OSPF network. One plane overtakes another plane. How does the network reconverge?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted one week later. Went in for a very informal interview with two current employees. They told me there was two other candidates they were also considering and they would let me know in about a week whether I got the position or not. After two weeks I called and was told they would call me back. Never got a call back and never had my calls or emails returned.

Interview Questions

• How are my excel skills? They stressed the importance of excel for the position.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA).

Interview

Applied online and received an email about 2 weeks later to schedule a phone screen later that week. The phone screen was pretty straight forward just talking a little about my resume and hearing about MITRE from the interviewer. A week later I was contacted to schedule an on site interview in 3 weeks time. The on site interview consisted of a 15 minute presentation to 5 team members followed by separate 45 minute interviews with each of the team members present at my presentation. All interviews felt more like a conversation rather than an interview with the exception of the hiring manager interview which was a bit more formal.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about MITRE and why do you want to work here?
      What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question

Web Development Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

The process started with a brief phone screen, mostly them telling me about the position and asking a few questions about me, ending with a couple of simple coding questions. Then I was called in for an on-site interview, where I met with an HR rep, a web dev team member, a software team member, a team lead, and finally the department head. I was asked to do coding exercises during two of the meetings, and the rest were behavioral. Everything was pretty laid back in general; it was a very nice atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• If you could do [past project we discussed] over again, what would you change? What are some lessons you learned from that experience?   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Was pretty disappointed with the entire interview process. For starters, I was given the wrong time to show up by the HR coordinating from MA. I showed up an hour earlier and then everyone locally had to adjust their schedules to accommodate me which was nice.

However, none of the interviewers seemed to have even looked at my resume and some were going through it as they asked me questions. I had a total of 5 interviews and many of them kept asking the same questions like ,"Tell me about yourself or Why do you want to work here?" One interviewer even asked me to describe the position I had applied to. :).

The questions were so open ended that I could not understand what they were trying to judge.
    Also there was no pre-screening of any kind which could have saved everyone a lot of time here.

In the end I felt the company did not care about the time and effort spent by me as well as by their own employees.

Cyber Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

The best word to describe my in person interview was long. With a start time of 8:30am and an end time of 2:30pm it was by far the most arduous interview I've ever had. (Bearing that in mind, this was my third on-site interview for my first full-time job). Throughout the day, I had about 9 30-minute interviews, and was asked technical/coding questions in three. As is the case with most technical interviews the questions I was asked primarily boiled down to 1-basic coding style, 2-knowledge of algorithm fundamentals such as breadth first search, sorting and basic error testing. My best advice to someone interviewing for an entry level position at MITRE is as follows:
    1-Be sure to get a good night's sleep and to have a good breakfast before going in. Doing so will significantly improve your stamina.
    2-Prepare a lot of questions ahead of time. Try to challenge yourself to think of questions you can ask different people and get different kinds of insight from the different answers. These are very helpful as you will be meeting a lot of people and they will each ask if you have any questions for them.
    3- Review your basic algorithms. While you should do this for any interview, the schedule is set up such that you don't know who will ask you a technical question.

Interview Questions

• Given the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 the smallest number divisible by all of them is 12.
      Given the set of numbers (integers) A ={1, 2, 3, 4, . . ., k};
      write a function that will find the smallest number divisible by every element of A
      Answer Question