MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone screening interview with HR. We discussed the details of my resume and discussed what I was seeking in a new opportunity. The interviewer was very easy to communicate with. I think I was not offered the opportunity for the next interview due to my availability timeline.

Interview Questions

• Can you effectively work as a project manager where you do not have direct authority over the people on your team?   Answer Question

Operational Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

First, I was interviewed by an HR Rep that lasted 30 minutes. Second interview was with the Hiring Mgr. Third interview was with supervisors and managers who supported the position. Next, I was asked to take an assessment followed by a follow up interview with the Hiring Manager.

Interview Questions

• Name your strengths & weaknesses.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Moved fast at first, however they did seem disorganized. Questions at in person interviews centered on managing people and taking feedback on personal performance. Multiple in-person interviews scheduled for the day. Most were with different HR people. They seem to think they are experts at hiring based on the psychology and behavioral interviewing process, but I would argue they are incredibly over-complicating the process. I was very excited about the opportunity with the company, however in hindsight, I'm glad it didn't work out. The position is needed, but I have concerns they don't know what really happens in the job and how it helps a company's success. Took two months for them to follow-up after my final meetings that they were moving in a different direction. Again, pretty disorganized. If you want top-talent, you can't wait that long. Would love to know with whom they filled the job. My guess is with someone of the opposite sex than I and I'm ok with that. The only other women I saw were in HR. That may be a sign.

Interview Questions

• Sometimes we need to provide feedback to our employees, tell me how you approach the conversation?   Answer Question

Night Shift Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

First was called by a recruiter for a phone interview that took 30 mins. The recruiter called me 45 mins later than when she was suppose too. After the phone interview I was invited for a face to face. I sat waiting for 30 minutes waiting to go back to start interview. I was interviewed by two people who it seem like they were new to interviewing they read 50 questions off a paper. Basically the same questions reworded. The Interview took 2 hours then they had me do a walk through the warehouse even though they knew they were not having me back for a second interview.

Process Improvement Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Interviewed multiple ways, via phone and face-to-face, (total of 8 interviews), Interviewed with HR, hiring manager (several times), interviewed with three other managers, interviewed by VP and hiring manager again. HR reviewed the benefits on last interview. Process was long and time consuming. No regard for interviewers time.

Internal Audit Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Several phone interviews with various managers in the department. Interviews lasted approximately 30 minutes to an hour. Some repetitive questions asked by different managers. Straight forward questions about my experience along with some questions regarding team building, etc.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an external recruiter about a Director position at MSC in North Carolina. The overall process took 4 months and I interviewed with about 10-12 people. 3 of the interviews were with HR representatives. Overall the process was structured like interviews in other large companies, but there were some warning signs along the way: (1) job title and job level was not in line with everybody else reporting to the hiring manager, this position was 2 levels below peers (2) HR interviews were primarily focused on disciplining under-performing employees (3) Nobody would give a true representation of what the company is like, everything was great. I personally prefer to get a honest idea of what is going on, so I know what I walk into (4) Long times between interviews (5) the personality testing and review with an industrial psychologist was very repetitive and even though some standard tests were used, there was a strong focus about depression/suicidal tendencies/daydreaming. The supervisory questionnaire again focused on dealing with under-performing employees. (5) I traveled to North Carolina for a second round of interviews. They were all conducted through video conferences with New York. No personal interview.

Interview Questions

• If you have a stellar employee who has been a high performer for a long time and she suddenly starts to fail what would you do?   Answer Question

Payroll Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

This position was in the Davidson, NC office.
    First point of contact after submitting my resume was from a recruiter in New York just to pre-screen. The next day, another call from the same recruiter to schedule a phone interview with one of the hiring managers the following day. Two days later, an interview with a slew of people in the Davidson office. Two who were physically in Davidson, and four people in New York via video conference.
    All of them were nice enough, though only one was directly related to Payroll. The next closest would be an HR person (to discuss benefits mostly) and an Accounts Payable Manager. This seemed a little odd.

Though the interview seemed to go well, I did not get a second interview. After following up with the recruiter, I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Several people in the interview process asked questions regarding how I discipline my staff. I have been with my current company for a number of years and pride myself on the due diligence I put into my hiring process, and as a result, have had very few instances where I have had to discipline my staff. They did not seem pleased with that. Looking back on it, it seems that they may have been looking for more of a disciplinarian than a manager. It is unfortunate. In the course of management, you may have to discipline people, though I believe that if you put in your work on the front end and hire a top notch staff, you would gain more from having a leader than a disciplinarian.   1 Answer

National Accounts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Was contacted by 3rd party recruiter, went through MSC's process which took literally 11 weeks. Including a 3 hour skills assessment test and phone call with a NYC Psychologist.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 2 things that are not on your resume that should be.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC).

Interview

Process took 4+ months. Initial phone screening interview with HR Recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Then no communication, i tried to get feedback on progress from recruiter, got the standard line of "we'll get back to you when any decision has been made". Asked to have a few more phone interviews with seemingly random people. Between each interview I had to chase the company for results, next steps and general trying to keep on their radar. Requested that I complete an application form but that had already been done a month before (great paperwork tracking system, not! - this should have been an early warning flag for me). Then 'radio silence' for 2 months, I actually thought that I had been dropped as I couldn't get any response from the internal recruiter.

Final interviews at HQ and were organized very poorly. I was told to arrive at 10am, but when I got there my first interview was scheduled at noon so I had to sit in the building foyer for two hours. The interviews themselves were pretty standard and all the interviewers were very positive about my skills and experience. Then never heard from the company. I contacted them weekly for four weeks asking for an update, eventually I gave up. When they finally got back to me I was told that they were going to repost the position with some different job tasks.

MSC is clearly internally disorganized and has difficulties executing on decisions. I should have listened to my gut early on and not wasted 5 months.