MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

You have 2-3 calls with hiring recruiter. Once you get past this process you have 2 in person meetings with hiring DSM. After you pass this process you have phone interview with Regional Vice President of Sales.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation needed since offer was at high end of salary range.

Driver Interview

Interview

Submitted by temp agency, shot interview and drug test and I got the job

Negotiation

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

I was interviewed on the Phone with the recruiter. That was followed up by an interview in Person with HR/Recruiter. After that they scheduled a final day. I spent a half day one on one with 6 persons from the management team, spent another half day doing the job (spend a day)

Interview Questions

• where do you see areas for opportunity in our organization?   1 Answer

Telesales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jonestown, PA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Jonestown, PA) in July 2008.

Interview

You had to attend a job fair first where they did the initial interview. Once they cleared you through that, you had to do a "spend a day". This consisted of 4 hours sitting with employees doing the job. That was worthless since the lady I sat with was working on a large problem that had not much to do with the position. I had to do role play with the manager and sell her something. She used items I was selling at my other job. Typical questions about background.

Interview Questions

• Role playing with the manager. I never did that before and had to think on my feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated nothing.

Verifier/Checker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fernley, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Fernley, NV) in June 2014.

Interview

Standard question & answer. Basic self assessment questions. Interview with 3 levels of management. 4 or 5 days between the many processes of getting hired to actually working.
    Easy if you give generic "I'm awesome" answers. Be confident with each level and smile a lot.

Interview Questions

• When are you considered late   1 Answer

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

Got a call from HR to interview. Meet with HR and the manager of the department, and was offered was asked questioned such as, why should we continue with the hiring process?

Customer Segment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY) in March 2009.

Interview

The MSC HR recruiter was very professional and outgoing -- she was the best part of the whole interview process. Before that, the 3rd party recruiter who had handed me off did not understand the original job spec very well, having thought the position was direct marketing related -- it was in reality, a business development position --- I adjusted early in the game --- which landed me in headquarters for a live 1:1 interviews.

The hiring team interview process was a significant let down in 2 out of 3 1:1's. There were even some pot shots taken at my professional qualifications ("well-educated people" was the word I heard a few times). I think they were enjoying seeing the out-of-work, well-educated people on the street looking for work at a company such as MSC. After a strong phone interview and invitation to come in for a 1:1, the hiring manager slouched in his seat during my live 1:1. I believe the prior interviewer gave me a "down check" as I sensed intense competition about my skills/experiences versus his.

After the interview, I received very ambiguous nonconstructive feedback from the 3rd party recruiter. After this, I actually followed up with the hiring manager (who declined to comment and referred me to HR). In fact, my post-interview follow-ups earned an amateurish HR rejection letter from the very charismatic HR recruiter. It was a shame, I sensed she wanted to say more and provide more definitive feedback but duly followed HR policy.

My advice, only apply for a management position if you don't have an MBA or significant experience -- these and other professional qualifications, savvy and confidence spooked the hiring team --- hey look, they've been there there for over 10 years, who needs "Maverick" from Top Gun to shake things up. In short, they were looking for Gumby.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

General discussion of skills and experience; they thought I was overqualified. Company wasn't convinced that the position was challenging enough and seemed to feel it was a dead end job without even giving the benefit of the doubt to the candidate. Something isn't right with the employee philosophy of the company. Employees are apparently not valued. They have no concept of talent acquisition. Prior comments are 100% accurate. Surprised the company has survived but would'nt be if they don't make it in the tougher environment ahead. Could be a good short stock play.

Interview Questions

• Why are you willing to take a pay cut?   1 Answer

Telesales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wood Dale, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Wood Dale, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

Submitted my resume through their web site and received an initial contact from HR a week later. The lady was helpful and lead me in the right direction. It took about 2½ weeks to get another call from an outbound telesales supervisor for a 1:1 interview. My resume seemed impressive enough to cut to the chase and within 20 minutes I knew it was a metric oriented job (phone time and # of contacts is monitored). Went to another interview a week later this time with a younger manager who was late and seemed to be drinking too much company cool aid.

Both explained benefits and reasons to grow with the company (401k, medical & dental insurance, profit sharing, job advancement, etc..) yet the atmosphere seemed very cookie cutter and stale by the variety of wrinkled up shirts. Office environment is bright and looks very new.

Interview Questions

When applying for fix salaried sales jobs it's important to realize a full potential to be earned if an annual goal is met (base salary + bonus - taxes = net income). Both managers were not very open to to this but willing to give the regular mumbo jumbo such as uncapped, month-to-month, and performance based. The base salary was $10k less than my previous job. Felt it was very entry level and not a good fit.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

There are several steps to the interview process. Initially there is a phone call with management to determine phone skills and appropriateness for the position. If this is acceptable, then there is a face-to-face interview with management. If there is interest there is a second interview. Finally, there is an offer to spend the day observing the job being completed in order to determine personality fit.

Interview Questions

• questions are standard and look for specific examples of success   Answer Question

Negotiation

set base salary, no negotiation on salary or time