MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated Dec 16, 2017

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in November 2017.

Interview

Application online to a phone screen with a corporate recruiter. Questions were very in line with both behavioral and situational questions, left time to describe the role in detail, allow candidate to ask questions and share any next steps in the process.

Took an online assessment, not too hard and about 20-25 minutes to complete.

Moved on to a FaceTime interview with the hiring manager, however, I was given no confirmation from the recruiter. The hiring manager contacted me that morning and asked to move the time (which was fine), but that was the only confirmation I was given to know the interview was still set up. Questions were rapid fire, but pointed on the role and one's background. Lasted about an hour.

Got set up with the VP of Business Development, via phone, for an interview. Tried hard to ask difficult questions, but felt their personality was trying to show through as tough / hard / rigid. Took it seriously, but asked me questions about my background experiences that he knew were not there and felt it was more of a "gotcha" moment to me than a conversation.

In the end, I did not get the role and that is ok - But after 5 hours of working with their talent team, hiring manager and VP, I got the automated email rejection notice. No human interaction, feedback or context to why I did not the role. Emailed both the HM and HR, with no replies.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your time / experience in driving contract compliance and how you made the customer spend the contracted amount of money.   Answer Question

TELESALES Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Southfield, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

There were two interviews. One with a supervisor then the second with two supervisors and a ride along to see if you can really handle the position. Even during the ride along process customers were irritated to be taken away from their jobs.

Interview Questions

• Can you memorize part numbers?   1 Answer

Davidson Corporate Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 4+ weeks that started with a phone interview with HR and had two additional in person interviews. The questions were typical and easy to answer.

Any Available Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Fernley, NV).

Interview

After the call back it took roughly two months for the interview to take place. HR was present with reasonable questions and inquries. During the interview I was required to take a math test that's subject was number patterns. Also, I was asked to demonstrate proper lifting techniques.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer

HR Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was called by the company to set up a phone interview. I interviewed with my prospective manager over the phone, then was called to come in for a face-to-face interview. I came in and learned I would be interviewed twice, once by my prospective manager, and separately by a manager of a different department within HR.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't accomplish a goal in a leadership position. What did you do in response to that?   Answer Question

Salaried Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a cumbersome and targeted process. It was was a bit over the top and was an internal interview for a lateral position. They are more focussed on education than experience and was ultimately passed up for someone with zero experience simply for budgetary reasosn.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone screening interview with HR. We discussed the details of my resume and discussed what I was seeking in a new opportunity. The interviewer was very easy to communicate with. I think I was not offered the opportunity for the next interview due to my availability timeline.

Interview Questions

• Can you effectively work as a project manager where you do not have direct authority over the people on your team?   Answer Question

Operational Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

First, I was interviewed by an HR Rep that lasted 30 minutes. Second interview was with the Hiring Mgr. Third interview was with supervisors and managers who supported the position. Next, I was asked to take an assessment followed by a follow up interview with the Hiring Manager.

Interview Questions

• Name your strengths & weaknesses.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (New York, NY).

Interview

Took a long time. Interviewed with 2 people in HR and also about 4 others in addition to hiring manager. Then there was an outside screener and had to take a "personality" and skills assessment test.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relatively benign and nothing challenging.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

I went through 4 phone interviews, one in person and one video interview. Then there was a skill test and a psyc. Interview. Way over the top for the position. Looks of general interview questions, not very personable.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your weaknesses?   1 Answer