MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated Dec 16, 2017

HR Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was called by the company to set up a phone interview. I interviewed with my prospective manager over the phone, then was called to come in for a face-to-face interview. I came in and learned I would be interviewed twice, once by my prospective manager, and separately by a manager of a different department within HR.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't accomplish a goal in a leadership position. What did you do in response to that?   Answer Question

Salaried Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a cumbersome and targeted process. It was was a bit over the top and was an internal interview for a lateral position. They are more focussed on education than experience and was ultimately passed up for someone with zero experience simply for budgetary reasosn.

TELESALES Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Southfield, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

There were two interviews. One with a supervisor then the second with two supervisors and a ride along to see if you can really handle the position. Even during the ride along process customers were irritated to be taken away from their jobs.

Interview Questions

• Can you memorize part numbers?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

First step was a 1/2 hour phone interview with the hiring manager to be sure I was qualified to go to the next round of interviews. The 2nd round of interviews included a face to face interview with the hiring manager, again for 1/2 hour and then an hour interview via teleconference with a manager in another location. The 3rd round of interviews included 1/2 hour conversations with 5 more managers with whom I'd be working closely if I were offered the job.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were pretty standard "tell me about a time where you..." They want to know specifically what you've done in your past career that can apply to the job you are interviewing for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Elkhart, IN) in August 2015.

Interview

It was long, but worth the wait. First you apply online, then you wait for a phone call. The interview starts on the phone, then you are asked to spend the day and if you do well and they like you they will start the hiring process,which consists of background check, drug, and verification of diploma.

Order Picker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

It was very simple like any other but for this job the good thing about it is they give you a Spend A Day that you actually do the job a day before you get hired to see if you like it.

Account Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Garden Grove, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had two phone screening calls. One was for the headhunter that contacted me and the other was the HR department from MSC. After, I had a one on one interview with the direct manager. I did not receive word until probably a week and a half later.

Interview Questions

• One thing that they asked me was would I be a good fit.   Answer Question
    • What skills would you bring to the table to help the company?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Through my interview process, I started to get the feeling that I knew more about sales than the DSM I interviewed with. Very uncomfortable process and it really made me skeptical about the next step in the interest process.

Better Offer

Director Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Moved fast at first, however they did seem disorganized. Questions at in person interviews centered on managing people and taking feedback on personal performance. Multiple in-person interviews scheduled for the day. Most were with different HR people. They seem to think they are experts at hiring based on the psychology and behavioral interviewing process, but I would argue they are incredibly over-complicating the process. I was very excited about the opportunity with the company, however in hindsight, I'm glad it didn't work out. The position is needed, but I have concerns they don't know what really happens in the job and how it helps a company's success. Took two months for them to follow-up after my final meetings that they were moving in a different direction. Again, pretty disorganized. If you want top-talent, you can't wait that long. Would love to know with whom they filled the job. My guess is with someone of the opposite sex than I and I'm ok with that. The only other women I saw were in HR. That may be a sign.

Interview Questions

• Sometimes we need to provide feedback to our employees, tell me how you approach the conversation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

Great interview the interviewer was complimentary and professional, seem to ask very good questions that were applicable to me and to the position I was interviewing for it went smoothly and I was taken to the next step in the process what they call spend a day..

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem that you solved without supervision   Answer Question