MSCI Interview Questions in Berkeley, CA | Glassdoor

MSCI Interview Questions in Berkeley, CA

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Berkeley, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter for a Senior Engineering Position at MSCI. The phone interview went well, i was questioned on threading, difference between using synchronized keyword an d Reentrant locks in java.

Once the phone interview was done, i was called for an on-site interview at MSCI Berkeley office (this office was an acquisition from BARRA systems). Five engineers interview me, apart from asking questions about my previous projects they asked mostly Java related questions.

1) What search algorithm runs in log (n) time.
    Ans) Binary Search.

2) What is a race condition and how would you avoid it.
    3) Is one painter paints a room in one hour and the other painter in 30 mins. How long woud it take for both the painters to paint the room.
    4) What is ThreadLocal ?
    5) What Final and abstract class in java ?

And some basic java programming questions.

I did well on the interview except one where i knew the answer but i completely blanked out. So, my suggestion will be to keep your confidence level high. A few interviewees were not very responsive and it seemed they are just robots asking you questions.

I didn't hear anything for about three weeks. I contacted the recruiter to check the status, again after a week she told me that they are looking for someone with more years of experience. I than got an email again after a week that they want to re-consider me and would like to talk on the phone one more time with Head of Application Development.

The phone interview again went fine, and they told me that my resume is impressive and that that are looking for someone energetic. I was asked again about my previous job experience, and a question related to Garbage Collector wen doing performance testing in my previous job. A week from that i got an email from recruiter that they again are looking for someone with more experience.

Not really a good experience overall, communications is slow. It take them forever to decide, and they go back and forth on their decisions.

Interview Questions

• what does log (n) running time translates into.   1 Answer

Applications Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at MSCI (Berkeley, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied through UC Berkeley's job board and received a call and an email from an HR representative asking to schedule an interview a week later. There was no phone interview, just speaking directly with the manager who I'd be working with if I got the job. Interview as pretty standard: behavioral questions, why this position, requested some writing samples and presentations to bring in.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about MSCI?   1 Answer

Analytics QA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I interviewed at MSCI (Berkeley, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

1. Talking with HR
    2. Talking with Senior QA with technical questions
    3. A open project about option pricing
    3. Conference meeting over phone, read paper about future pricing and present
    5. On site with 6 ppl

Interview Questions

• What type of bond price increase as interest rate increases   2 Answers

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Berkeley, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Disjointed with a lot of waiting between calls. Then group interviews and couldn't find places. No real help because no visible office managers. HR not really existent except for one person who was grouchy and encased in office, surfing net. Really disorganized office. And a long time for any follow up after the meetings.

Interview Questions

• Trends and data switch on sales - what do yu see in NOrth American and EMEA markets?   Answer Question

Fixed Income Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Berkeley, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Half day on site interview with 8 half hour interviews with various analysts, senior associates and VPs. Got called back for a second day where I interviewed with the teams I would eventually collaborate with (It, software engineering, data developers, and research). This was followed by a half day of shadowing analyst that would eventually make up my team,. Overall a good experience. The Barra team seamed genuinely interested in making sure I'd be happy with the work, and were very collegial through the whole process.