MSCI Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.8

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Terrible process. Initial HR phone interview. Met with 2 people in person. Then had 3 phone interviews and didn't hear from them for weeks. Would not recommend to anyone looking for a job in finance

Interview Questions

• Describe passive investing?   1 Answer

Index Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Went through 2 rounds of phone interviews with two different people. Was told everything went great and will hear back from them within weeks end about the next steps and never heard back from either of them.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY).

Interview

1. 25min phone call with recruiter
    2. On site: 1 45min interview with senior analyst (SQL queries, Valuation Models, Terms and conditions of FI instruments) 2 45min phone interviews with senior analyst and VP in New York office (same type of questions, very conversational)

Interview Questions

• Given this table, write a SQL query to ...   Answer Question
    • What do you see happening to interest rates in the next six months, and why?   Answer Question
    • How would you use Black/Scholes to value a put option with terms...   Answer Question
    • How would you reduce unsystematic risk? Systematic risk?   Answer Question
    • List all the terms and conditions of a bond that might be of interest to an investor.   Answer Question

Reference Data Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY).

Interview

asked about what classes I took and tested a lot of questions based on the content of the classes. Just like you are doing an mid-term in class, but by oral.

Interview Questions

• Put/call options? Examples?   1 Answer

Risk Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY).

Interview

One phone interview, one on site interview with four people, the interview process was very pleasant, but I'm a bit overkill for the position, so they referred me to another position.

Interview Questions

• Not anything unexpected, asked me about what VaR is, and do I like to work with Excel.   Answer Question

Vice President Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn, got a call from HR the next day, had interviews scheduled over the next two weeks and got an offer in under two weeks. Overall, the process was very quick and the HR recruiter was fantastic and guided me through the process very well.

Analytics Consulting and Client Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Initial HR Phone Screen lasting 30 minutes in which they asked background questions. Basically looking for you to hit keywords and such. Next round was a Phone Interview with the hiring manager. He asked rather detail oriented questions regarding the job description. Analytical questions in which how you analyze data sets and or your experience working with such data. The way the interviews work is you're in contact with the HR rep assigned to you, and the interview process is facilitated through him or her. Mine called me to ask me what the next steps were. The hiring manager told me that the HR rep would let me know of the next steps. The HR Rep said he would check with the hiring manager and I have never hear back since.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding holdings based risk analysis.   Answer Question

Client Service Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone followed by in person interview on site. Met with several team members throughout a single day interview process. They explained the role, skills needed, asked a few financial modeling and derivative securities questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself. Describe your experience and familiarity with our tools.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Week 1: I applied for position via an internal recruiter's post on eFC.
    Week 2: Received an email the next week scheduling a 1:1 phone call with the recruiter. They asked me about my background and skills, then told me more about position. Conversation was very relaxed and short. At end the recruiter said they'd forward my CV to the hiring manager.

Week 2: Received email from recruiter 3 days after phone call saying HM wanted to schedule 1:1 phone call
    Week 3: Spoke with hiring manager - asked me about my background, why I liked the position and told me about the position and the team. I asked about the team and effects of MSCI's recent acquisitions. Again, very easy. Received call from recruiter that evening saying the HM wanted me to visit onsite for panel interview, however MSCI did not offer to pay my travel expenses.

Week 4: Had 1:1's with 5 people over 3 hours, including HM. Each interviewer was very friendly. They did most of the talking - about themselves, the role, the company. Asked me about my background, skillset and some easy technical questions, ie "How do you calculate VaR, what is a CDS, how do you price a future etc"

Week 5: received offer
    Week 6: accepted offer

Interview Questions

• Questions I received were:
      Background:
      What did you like most about your last job?
      Why did you leave?
      What was you favorite class in college?
      How do you feel about living in New York?

Behavioral:
      Why do you like this position?
      Tell me about a time you failed/made a mistake and how you dealt with it

Technical:
      How do you calculate VaR?
      How do you price a future?
      What is a CDS?
      What risk attributes are most important to consider in an equity portfolio?
      What's the difference between a Hedge Fund and a managed account?   Answer Question

EQUITY ANALYTIC SALES SUPPORT ANALYST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

HR person didn't call me the day he was supposed to call. So we rescheduled. But the phone interview was very short (15 min) and I already felt like he is not interested in me. He just asked me my strength and weakness and why I am interested in this position.

Interview Questions

• My strength and weakness and the reason I am interested in the position and the company.   Answer Question