MTA Metro North Railroad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 24, 2017

2.9

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied for the associate engineer position on the company website. I was scheduled for two written test before the interview. After successfully passing the test, I was scheduled for 2 separate interviews with different departments. Each department evaluates your education, professional background, skills, and then selected for the position. The associate engineering program lasted 18 months. It was a panel interview with HR manager, department manager, and senior engineers. Questions asked were behavioral and technical. Questions are pre selected and notes are taken for your responses.

Very long process. The whole process took about 7 months.

Interview Questions

• Tells us about yourself and your professional background?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Entry level position. Salary grade not negotiable.

Associate Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and didnt hear back for months.
    Finally went to the interview heard back a few weeks later about the job and drug screen/background test.

Interview process is very rigid, panel of interviewers ask set questions and write everything down.

Associate Engineer Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the position. I was contacted by HR a month and a half later to schedule an interview that same week. The interview was a panel format with a recruiter from HR and a few senior engineers. All questions were read out of a packet. The interview was only ten minutes long at most. Felt very rushed and that it was an assembly line of interviews. In the position description it said you would be placed into one of three departments based on your discipline. The interview panel consisted of members of the same department, meaning they already placed you in one without telling you. I received a phone call from the recruiter a few days later and was told that I had made it to the final round, just needing to complete a background check and toxicology tests, essentially meaning I got the job. I turned this offer down as this position/organization was not the right fit for me, then the recruiter ended our conversation quite abruptly.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this position and why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What was a project from school or work that you really struggled with and how did you overcome the problems?   Answer Question
    • Name some applications for storage batteries.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between dynamic and pneumatic braking?   Answer Question

Position and organization were not the right fit for me.

Video Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (White Plains, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Panel of 3 employees plus HR rep. Was a very interesting interview. Questions were short and easy to answer. Panel seemed to like me a lot except had some discrepancy on what the exact position entails and what I will be doing. They seem to not have that figured out yet especially for an interview. It took about 3 months to get an interview but after that the hiring process also took about a month

Interview Questions

• What video security systems have I had experience with?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad in November 2015.

Interview

The interviews consisted of an initial screening then an in person panel interview. The panel questions were a mix of behavioral and experience based scenarios. HR recruiter never reached out to me after the interview, despite her pledge to do so. The environment seems to be heavily political with rampant nepotism. I wouldn't bother wasting time interviewing here because my experience leads me to believe that they most likely go through the motions to fill interview quotas before settling on pre-determined candidates. Extremely poor communication throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have had to deal with an emergency situation.   Answer Question

Supervisor Bus Comoany Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Had a panel interview which lasted about 45 minutes. They asked me my strengths and weaknesses. We went over my qualifications and resume. Some of the questions were scenario based. At the end of the interview they said they would be in touch. This was four weeks ago. Anyone else experience this?

Coach Cleaner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I am interested in the position in the position you have available I will be Great access to your company i'm eager to learn new things every day whatever the job consist of thank you for your time and support have a blessed day

Human Resources Testing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad.

Interview

No screen interview, the first interview was with hiring manager. Asked specific job knowledge questions combined with other behavioral questions. Enjoyed and appreciated the rigor in the interview, but I dropped out of process after accepting an offer from another employer.

Interview Questions

• How is adverse impact analysis conducted?
      Describe an appropriate method of setting a cut score for an exam.
      Answer Question

Corporate Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad.

Interview

Interviewed at their New York office, received an offer a few weeks later by phone. Following the offer was a background check, drug test, and physical checkup (physical and drug test done at their cost in midtown).

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

First ut was a phone screen, then they scheduled for me an in person interview with the Human Resources Recruiter and the Corporate Compliance Manager. The dynamic was like a conversation, first they told me what the Department does, what I would be assisting in and after was all about me, my experiences, skills,etc.

Interview Questions

• How will this internship collaborate to my future goals?   Answer Question