Macmillan Publishers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.8

Digital Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I sent my resume through the website, and heard back in about a week and a half. The interview itself was average. Because I was going for a part time position, I was contacted by HR and asked for a personal interview.

My interviewer was polite and very much went straight into my resume and asked me personal resume-specific questions. She was honest and told me another person was going to be interviewed for the position. My experience in person was overall unique, because in the middle of my interview there was a building-wide fire drill. I don't believe this effected my interview too harshly but it was quite distracting, despite the fact we were in a conference room.

After my interview I was asked for my references through email and I heard nothing for 2 and a half weeks. I had to email them asking for a follow up to then tell me I did not get the position. Apparently, they are notorious for this I hear.

The overall process I found to be a little sloppy. It wasn't negative, but I wish the communication was a little better post-interview.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview

I applied online through the Macmillan website and heard back from them within two weeks. There were three stages to the hiring process which took place over the course of a month. None of the interviews I had were particularly difficult and all the employees I interviewed with were very friendly and enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you know about Macmillan?
      2. Why publishing?
      Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Contacted on very short notice for the final day of interviews. HR asked for an in-office interview although my application stated I'm outside the metro area. HR and the department I interviewed with was very accommodating to my request for a video interview. I spoke with several editors and the process took a total of about 2 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Very Brief. The interview was done over the phone. The woman was very friendly and explained the position and what they were looking for very clearly. The interview only lasted around 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• She asked for me to walk her through my resume. She choose which parts she wanted me to explain, focusing on publishing and communications-related positions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in March 2016.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with a person in HR that took about 15 minutes. It was a basic, introductory interview discussing the company, my resume, the internship program, and my goals for the position.

Mid Level Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website and received an email a few days after. The interview with the manager was casual, we had colleagues in common. I could have pushed to show my qualifications, instead of only taking information away.

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied mid December. I was called in for an interview in the New Year. They said they wanted to fill it immediately. I had an hour-long interview with the Hiring Manager. I followed up two times as my career counselor instructs, and was not given a reply. I had moved on, and about half a month later a junior staff member emailed to give me the standard, canned reply: "We’ve selected a candidate whose skill set and qualifications are a better match for the position."

Interview Questions

• What 5 magazines and newspapers would you take to a deserted island? Where do you get your news?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview

I applied online through the company website and was called for an interview about a month later. When they called, I was asked to come in the very next day. I went in and waited for my interview. When it was time, we did the interview and it lasted over an hour, but felt very short. The tone was conversational but with the interview in mind the whole time

Interview Questions

• - If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 newspapers/magazines would you bring?
      -How/where do you get your news?
      -Name a situation when there was a crisis and things got "off track" and you dealt/fixed it.
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview

Applied internship online, quick interview in their office. The interview went fine. Just a run through of questions of my past experiences and asked me about any strategies I know to help their digital marketing techniques. I thought I will get the position but never heard anything from them in return.

Interview Questions

• Past experiences and suggestions how I can improve their social media marketing.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

My phone interview came first (on a Tuesday) and within 24 hours I received an email from the interviewer asking me to come in for an in-person interview in the city. My interview was scheduled for the next Monday. I was scheduled to interview with 7 different people over a 3 hour period.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why am I interested in publishing versus staying in journalism (newspapers, magazines, etc.)   Answer Question