Macmillan Publishers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

2.8

Publishing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was very casual. I was warmly greeted by two publishing supervisors, and they interviewed me for about 30 minutes. The questions were not hard and they were very kind, but they ended the interview a bit awkwardly.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY).

Interview

HR was thorough and very professional. They followed up at every step. I interviewed with HR, then the hiring manager and then with someone in a senior role in my department.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Nothing outside of the norm.   1 Answer

Publicity Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview

Pretty casual, explained that there would be a lot of administrative tasks, not a whole lot of independent work. I met with the Senior Publicity Manager in her office. Very nice, enjoyable conversation. Wanted to know about specific experience in publicity i.e. making reviewer lists, press kits, using Cision, etc.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary, what do you read? Why Macmillan? etc.   Answer Question

Publishing Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied directly through a recruiter, and scheduled an interview within 48 hours of sending my information along. I met with two senior executives and the interview took at least an hour. The first half of the interview, we talked about the position, my experiences and reading preferences, The second half of the interview I answered some typical interview questions and some tougher, situational questions.

Interview Questions

• If you were stranded on an island for a year, but could have a subscription to any 5 newspapers or magazines, what would they be?   Answer Question
    • Imagine you had to send an author to a conference in L.A., and they had a presentation at noon and 7:00 p.m. You've sent along books to accompany both the 12:00 and 7:00 presentations, which successfully arrived weeks before the conference date. The day before the presentations, the conference organizers call you and say that they opened the box of books that should be accompanying the noon presentation and they are the incorrect books and incorrect author. The warehouse has the books you need in stock, and can send them overnight but they won't arrive to L.A. until 3:00 p.m. the day of the conference. How do you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online. A few weeks later, I received an email from an HR assistant, asking to schedule an in-person interview. I met with an HR recruiter, and we spoke for 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions - nothing out of left field   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I sent my resume through the website, and heard back in about a week and a half. The interview itself was average. Because I was going for a part time position, I was contacted by HR and asked for a personal interview.

My interviewer was polite and very much went straight into my resume and asked me personal resume-specific questions. She was honest and told me another person was going to be interviewed for the position. My experience in person was overall unique, because in the middle of my interview there was a building-wide fire drill. I don't believe this effected my interview too harshly but it was quite distracting, despite the fact we were in a conference room.

After my interview I was asked for my references through email and I heard nothing for 2 and a half weeks. I had to email them asking for a follow up to then tell me I did not get the position. Apparently, they are notorious for this I hear.

The overall process I found to be a little sloppy. It wasn't negative, but I wish the communication was a little better post-interview.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview

I applied online through the Macmillan website and heard back from them within two weeks. There were three stages to the hiring process which took place over the course of a month. None of the interviews I had were particularly difficult and all the employees I interviewed with were very friendly and enthusiastic.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Contacted on very short notice for the final day of interviews. HR asked for an in-office interview although my application stated I'm outside the metro area. HR and the department I interviewed with was very accommodating to my request for a video interview. I spoke with several editors and the process took a total of about 2 hours.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Very Brief. The interview was done over the phone. The woman was very friendly and explained the position and what they were looking for very clearly. The interview only lasted around 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• She asked for me to walk her through my resume. She choose which parts she wanted me to explain, focusing on publishing and communications-related positions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in March 2016.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with a person in HR that took about 15 minutes. It was a basic, introductory interview discussing the company, my resume, the internship program, and my goals for the position.