Macquarie Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2018

3.1

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

I recently got interviewed in Macquarie Global Services, Gurgaon. And it was a really bad experience.
    I passed the online tests both technical and psychometric.
    I was finally called for face 2 face interview.
    I went to the building where the guard told me wait in the cafeteria. My interview was scheduled for 11 am. I came 15 minutes before the time.
    I waited for around 45 minutes and no one from HR came to talk to me or called me.
    Finally 2 interviewer came and my interview started.
    Now see how they took my interview
    one of the guy asked for my into. I started with my technical experience. And all of a sudden he interrupted me. "Can you tell me from where you live". I said I live in Gurgaon, but he was not satisfied with the answer. He asked where you basically from. I said, I am from UP. Then again he was not satisfied, he asked where in UP. I thought in mind why the hell you want to know abt my base location before the start of interview. Does it matter to you. I told him abt my city.
    He seemed not interested in taking the interview and he left.
    The other guy started asking technical questions. He asked me about assignment operator, i explained him clearly but he himself got confused and started arguing about something that was not technical correct. I tried to confront him and explain him but because he was the interviewer he thought he was correct.

Then he asked me 2 puzzles which is asked in companies which are high pay masters like amazon flipkart.
    1) one is below
    Connect n ropes with minimum cost
    There are given n ropes of different lengths, we need to connect these ropes into one rope. The cost to connect two ropes is equal to sum of their lengths. We need to connect the ropes with minimum cost.

2) The second one was ,
    Trapping Rain Water

I solved first problem, for second he gave me only 10-15 mins. And when i was abt to solve , he says your time is over.
    Now my question is when a company cannot pay 16lakhs to 7 year experience profession. Then why he asking questions which are asked in companies who give a package of 40lakhs.
    Is this standard is set for everyone candidate or you just want to reject me.

My advice... Please don't judge anyone before taking the interview. Please don't reject on basis of caste creed, location, religion or gender.

Interview Questions

• 1) one is below
      Connect n ropes with minimum cost
      2) The second one was ,

Trapping Rain Water
      Given n non-negative integers representing an elevation map where the width of each bar is 1, compute how much water it is able to trap after raining.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews. Phone with HR, then two separate interview days. First round with HR was easy, very basic questions about why the service line, why this work etc. Second round was intense, loads of market questions which was full on from the start. Third round was tricky to tell. Macquarie definitely ask you some left field stuff to see how you will react, whereas Goldman interview was more direct.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and technical. Why Macquarie, why this division, where do you see yourself going in your career path. Then harder questions that required more specific examples about overcoming challenges, receiving negative feedback, feeling ashamed etc
      Second Round was mostly market based questions. Prepared for third round but it was a waste of time as they asked the most random questions.   Answer Question

Incident Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone call with managers, if you pass then another manager interview with Australian manager, then personality test.

They will not give the courtesy email on process updates. This was 2nd time interviewing with Macquarie, Their NYC HR recruiter promised to respond if declined. Both times they refused to respond to polite inquiries. First time I made it thru interviews and invited to take their version of a personality test, but employee referral quit so assumed I was blackballed.
    I was invited 2 years later to interview after another employee referred me, but since I was associated to someone that quit I assume it happened again after I did my phone interview.

Interview Questions

• review prior work experience and how it applies to the position   1 Answer

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New Delhi (India)) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process starts with a group discussion, followed by 2 technical sessions in which candidate is screened under various aspects. All aspects of knowledge is tested in a candidate.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview was a difficult and long process, involving interviewing at four different times with divisional and executive directors. After the interview process I was required to take an IQ and personality test with the results held by HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate and the presentation of salary was confusing leading to actual pay being lower than I expected.

Senior Compliance/Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2014.

Interview

Very intense interview process consisting of a 3 hour psychometric exam followed by 4-5 one on one interviews with the hiring manager, department head, and two other head ofs. First interview focused on culture fit and background. The second interview with the department head was significantly more challenging focusing more on technical abilities and demonstrated experience. Unfortunately, I did not get the role as it was only at the second stage that I was made aware of the department head's desire for a candidate with very specific experience.

One thing you'll notice immediately is that there is a high achieving culture as the people are very intelligent. I was impressed by this compliance team's values and the management's vision for how it will add value to the business as a whole.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of "compliance" in reference to investment banking? Be specific.

This question was unexpected because there was no previous indication that the role would be focused on investment banking (it was advertised as a generalist role).   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Manila, Manila (Philippines)) in April 2010.

Interview

Sent my resume via email. HR called to conduct 1st interview (screening), then scheduled for the tech interview. It was a the phone conference with the Associate Director for the Manila dev team. Got asked hard hibernate, spring, identity management questions. Passed, was scheduled for pschometric exam - hard.

Interview Questions

• The difficult question was if i was how to solve Hibernate n+1 problem in a web application environment where the session was already dead at the presentation layer. When is it acceptable and when should it be addressed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for double my current salary however I was given 50% lower offer. I was able to bargain more because I had another offer giving me 75% increase. We settled for 70%, I took it because the other offer was with a software company known to be toxic.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Berkeley, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Two times of phone interviews, and on-site interview

Interview Questions

• Behavioral question on the first round. Did not make it to the second round   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in December 2010.

Interview

Very lengthy and stringent. Multiple interactions spanning over a period of almost 6 months and technical discussions, interviews etc. Finally there is a psychometric assessment as well and then salary negotiations.

Negotiation

Very difficult, Indian HR had very poor exposure on hiring process and etiquette.

Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in July 2009.

Interview

Basically, the initial communication was very standard by email informing candidate to know whether they had received a 1st round interview. Be aware!! Interviews are given at extremely short notice (1-3 days!).

Advice is to really read on your brainteasers well before the interviews!

Perception of the people working there are :

Young, smart, tech-savvy and all seem single!!

Office is in heart of martin pl which is good

Work culture seems very tedious but that's investment banking for you!