Macquarie Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.1

Commodities and Financial Markets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy interview process through on campus recruiting at my school. Applied through my school's career website, then received an email notifying me I had been selected for an interview, and went to the thirty minute on campus interview. A couple technical questions/ questions about the market, but mostly wanted to see why I was a good fit for the position based on my past experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something happening in the markets that's interested you recently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First round was simple, two friendly interviewers mostly interested in my background. A couple of basic markets questions, asked some questions about macroeconomic trends. All in all, was a very routine interview-- do some research on the company and it will take you a long way.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Very structured interview process that was very comparable to other investment banking firms. The timeline was generally accelerated compared to its competitors, but this may have been to retain talent before it was acquired by other companies. The first-round and the superday were all comparable to other companies, except the fact that during the superday round, a case analysis and case presentation were expected.

Interview Questions

• Heavy emphasis on why Macquarie over competitors, as it is a growing firm in the United States, and the team in the US is really trying to develop a new culture here.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Bethlehem, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Through school career website. Applied online and then Macquarie contacted me. They had an invite dinner the night before, and then it was two recent alumni who did the interview. Overall very behavioral, until I got hit with one super technical bond question that I had no idea how to respond to.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2015.

Interview

Back to back interviews, mostly behavioral nothing serious. Had to take them through my resume and talk about my dream job. More of just trying to get a feel for who you are.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to happen when the interest rates rise?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlebury, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Middlebury, VT).

Interview

General interview about relevant experience and exposure to finance. General a test for fit with the company and a couple brain teasers. The interview is very manageable if prepared well and understand the banking universe.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. 4 one-on-one interviews of 30 minutes each. It was fairly conversational with a few technical questions. Mostly SVPs and above did the interviews. Following this, had a IQ kind of test which every single employee has to do at the firm.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews with HR and department directors. Interviews were cordial. Some questions were tough but fair. Every candidate must take an assessment. Math, verbal, pattern recognition. It's like an IQ test. Someone scored better so I did not get the role.

Interview Questions

• Have you managed multiple projects and how did you approach it?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was called for an initial screening by an off-site hiring consultant. We spoke briefly about the position and to see if I was a good fit for the role and the company. After about five days or so, I was contacted by the hiring manager to meet in Manhattan for an interview with two members of the team.

I met with both gentlemen and we spoke briefly about the role and my desires that were geared toward this specific role. As an entry-level position with no real experience necessary, they did not delve into nor desire to hear much regarding my schooling nor my experience as a post-grad.

Given the position, I would have more than likely taken it, but I felt like I was not welcome very much from the beginning. My answers to their questions never really seemed quite up to snuff and I felt quite debased each time I answered. I've had a variety of different experiences on interviews, but I'd have to say, this wasn't the best one by any stretch.

Interview Questions

• Some experts and individuals within the industry say that the S&P 500 is overvalued, what are your thoughts on this? And why?   Answer Question
    • What is the square root of 10,000,000?   1 Answer
    • How many windows are in New York City?   1 Answer
    • Tell me something interesting about yourself. Tell me something interesting in general.   1 Answer

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by 3 different recruiters for this position. I had and initial phone call with a Macquarie recruitment member and then a phone interview with one of the hiring managers. Throughout the interview process, I got the feeling that I was exactly what they were looking for, completely based on their responses to my questions and overall tone of voice and language. However, I never heard from them after I took their assessment - even though I was told by the recruiter that I had passed.

1. Initial Phone Interview
    2. Follow-up Phone Interview
    3. Assessment - Supposedly I passed this, but they said I did not "hit it out of the ball park"

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our Company?   1 Answer