Macquarie Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2017

3.1

Equity Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

Started with application through university database. On campus interview with one sales and one research director. Had to then take online exam. After that go invited to interview at main New York office. Had to take a second online assessment after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Asked to walk through resume. Asked for me to pitch stock as well.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview process included quantitative questions, along with in-depth discussions on why I would like to pursue a career in the division. In the end, I believe it was more of telling my story and vision more than valuation during the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2014.

Interview

Online Application. Phone interview with recruitment and member of team (motivational/behavioral questions and some technical). Aptitude tests (numerical,verbal, reasoning). Final technical interview. Overall a fast process with feedback along the way. HR is very helpful.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was a 1 hour telephone interview with the HR representative and a 1 hour interview with Director from the Infrastructure team.

The HR interview began with a description of the company's operations in the United States, and career development opportunities. Mostly fit questions on my background and why I was interested in working at Macquarie.

The interview with the Director seemed very under prepared. He seemed to ask me questions of the cuff. Basic questions such as what is EBITDA and how to calculate it, what is WACC and how to calculate it, what types of transport infrastructure projects exist and then I was asked to give some revenue streams from an infrastructure project such as an airport.

Interview Questions

• I had to give the WACC for an Airport buyout, with little information - just the expected EBITDA and EBITDA leverage, and overall value of the project.

The EBITDA leverage was 4x and EBITDA was $200m, overall project value was $1bn.

No calculator was allowed.   2 Answers

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2014.

Interview

Initial communication from internal recruiter via email. Interview scheduled promptly. Process was extremely professional. I was interviewed by two attorney-managers who were prompt and courteous and clear. There was no pre-screening. Interviews lasted roughly 30 minutes and were conducted in a prompt and professional manner. A pre-screening interview with the recruiter probably would have made sense in context.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer believed the job was "below" my qualifications and asked questions around that issue. The question wasn't difficult, but the expectation wasn't clear prior to the interview, hence it was surprising.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I was called in for an initial interview where the job was described and I was asked basic questions. After this they scheduled a second interview with a higher level of management. Both asked the same questions and focused on the ability to take direction and work hard.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process included aptitude tests (eg. what image comes next in a sequence) and behavioral tests that took almost three hours. No feedback or contact whatsoever after interview process complete (three interviews and aptitude tests). Lack of follow up a concern, and unprofessional.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

7 round interview, all of which were very straight forward and surprisingly relaxed. Interviewers, in specific order, were MD, SVP, VP, Associate, SVP, Associate, Recruiter. They give you a few breaks (for lunch and in between interviews). I highly recommend using this time wisely. All in all, pretty straight forward for an IB interview.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY).

Interview

On campus recruiting like all other banks, then first round interviews on campus with a girl from HR or a relatively junior person, then took some ridiculously long assessment test, then final round superday at the company office (3-4 interviews, 30 min each). They did draw out the process a lot longer than I would have liked, but they gave me two weeks to decide and let me pick my start date the following summer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work specifically at Macquarie? (didn't know much about the firm when I applied)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Standard analyst contract

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

3 interview process, spanning at least a month. First interview was with 2 associates from the small team. Very nice, smart people with international backgrounds. Second "interview" was a psychometric examination. About three hours, lightweight math test, personality questionnaire and logic test. Very boring. They put you in a room just big enough to hold a desk and for the door to swing open. Obviously, this room was a closet. Third interview was with Counsel/head of compliance. Nice, well educated woman. Interview was about an hour and was wide ranging. Heard nothing after that for about a month until I was told the position had been filled.