Macquarie Group Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 5, 2017

3.4

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Very structured interview process that was very comparable to other investment banking firms. The timeline was generally accelerated compared to its competitors, but this may have been to retain talent before it was acquired by other companies. The first-round and the superday were all comparable to other companies, except the fact that during the superday round, a case analysis and case presentation were expected.

Interview Questions

• Heavy emphasis on why Macquarie over competitors, as it is a growing firm in the United States, and the team in the US is really trying to develop a new culture here.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macquarie Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was a 1 hour telephone interview with the HR representative and a 1 hour interview with Director from the Infrastructure team.

The HR interview began with a description of the company's operations in the United States, and career development opportunities. Mostly fit questions on my background and why I was interested in working at Macquarie.

The interview with the Director seemed very under prepared. He seemed to ask me questions of the cuff. Basic questions such as what is EBITDA and how to calculate it, what is WACC and how to calculate it, what types of transport infrastructure projects exist and then I was asked to give some revenue streams from an infrastructure project such as an airport.

Interview Questions

• I had to give the WACC for an Airport buyout, with little information - just the expected EBITDA and EBITDA leverage, and overall value of the project.

The EBITDA leverage was 4x and EBITDA was $200m, overall project value was $1bn.

No calculator was allowed.   2 Answers

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

7 round interview, all of which were very straight forward and surprisingly relaxed. Interviewers, in specific order, were MD, SVP, VP, Associate, SVP, Associate, Recruiter. They give you a few breaks (for lunch and in between interviews). I highly recommend using this time wisely. All in all, pretty straight forward for an IB interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

There was a day with 3 different interviews with different people. One interview was a case study and you had to lead them through your thinking process. You're allowed to ask questions and they help lead you in the right direction if you are struggling. They are most interested in your thought process.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, first there was an on-campus interview with an associate and analyst (mix of fit + technical); then they make you take an online assessment that is pretty difficult and a week later they invited me to the superday. The super day was two fit interviews and one case (not like consulting more understanding why a merger was done and structured in a specific way).

Interview Questions

• the case was hard if you don't know what financial engineering is and when to use stock vs cash.   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Group pannel interview with two mid-range employees. Questions were fairly typical for investment banking interviews- accounting, basic valuation. Second round was a superday in their NYC office. Two interviews with fairly senior people. One was more quantitative one was more soft. Quantitative focused on basic math, speed and confidence. One of their main focuses was where you see yourself in 10 years and what you have been doing to reach it.

Interview Questions

• What is the square root of 100,000?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2008.

Interview

The interview process was not too detailed, but included the basic questions from various levels of management. They had me take a personality test which I thought was ridiculous. COme to find out most of the bankers hired have been let go due to the market downturn. The restrucuturing side is still chugging along, but heard the demise of the banking division.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Superday which included an M&A case study, a fit interview and a technical interview. Fit interview was relatively laid back. The technical interview was a bit more tricky but generally doable if you read the case study well and know basic formulas before the interview. Asked a couple of brainteasers as well. The final interview consisted of three conversational interviews with different teams where they see if you're a good fit.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Phone Interview. If you pass that stage you get to the interview at their offices. The latter consists of 2 interviews, one based on your personality and work experience and the other based on a case study

Interview Questions

• Run me through your CV (the following questions follow from that)   Answer Question
    • Many technical questions based on an M&A case that they give you to read before you go into the interview (you have 45 mins to read it). It is a big box file.   Answer Question