Macquarie Group Senior Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macquarie Group Senior Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Macquarie Group

3.8

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Was interviewed for a contract to perm position. First interview was in person with 2 people. Next round was via telepresence with someone in Sydney. The assessment was intense.

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation but salary and package was good so I was comfortable. Too bad I didn't know that 3 years would go by without them giving any raises or I would have asked for more money up front!

Other Interview Reviews for Macquarie Group

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in July 2010.

Interview

long process. approx 5 sets of interviews incl psych testing et al. interesting experience and met some very nice people

however, for a senior management (IT) role i ws surprised by the lack of vision and clarity in what they were after. wanted leadership but clearly not themeslves able to show leadership. did however like the flexibility and the flavour that a given role was not for life...so there were some positives. in the end i was not successful, clearly i was not what they wanted but as it took a month for them to get back to me after saying "will get back to you within a few days" - so i am not convinced about their standards of leadership or communication.

happy in the end to have gone thru the experience but coupled with other feedback i am happy i am not joining the sweatshop !

Interview Questions

• dont have precise wording to hand - but the questions often aluded to something quite hypothetical yet sufficientialy vague to ensure a very general answer   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Lengthly and thorough but pretty efficient. HR did a good job of communicating what ended up being several rounds of interview and psychometric testing. All the people were friendly and engaged and asked reasonable questions. There were few surprise or difficult questions. Used specific examples related to my experience and background.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Mostly job related and specific to my background. All were manageable with specific examples as answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

small salary increase over initial offer

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2013.

Interview

I first went through an initial screening on the phone with HR. During the conversation, we went through my CV on my work experience. Essentially I think HR was trying to get a clearer picture of my profile. After that, I had my first face to face interview before proceeding to sit for a psychometric test. Lastly, I had my final interview a week later.

Interview Questions

• Abstract reasoning portion of the test and some of the behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview was a difficult and long process, involving interviewing at four different times with divisional and executive directors. After the interview process I was required to take an IQ and personality test with the results held by HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate and the presentation of salary was confusing leading to actual pay being lower than I expected.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Lengthy process, slow responses and highly bureaucratic. From date of initial application until receipt of final answer, 5 months passed by. Got a verbal offer confirmation which was withdrawn afterwards.

People are lovely when you speak to them but the overall recruitment process was very flawed and it does raise questions about the company's ethics if they provide a verbal confirmation on a job offer and later decide not to go for it (I do realise they are not legally obliged to anything up to that point).

No reasons offered as to why offer was withdrawn. Utterly disappointed

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Had to go through an initial round where the hiring manager reviews your work experience and suitability for the role. At Macquarie, they place a big emphasis on your motivation, why you want to work for Macquarie specifically, and what you hope to achieve during your time there. After that, you get progressed to the psychometric assessment which tests your verbal reasoning, numerical and inductive (abstract) reasoning abilities. You also have to answer a personality questionnaire. Note that the intelligence tests (verbal, numerical, abstract) can definitely be prepared for and you will do well to practise as many of these you find online as you reasonably can. The personality questionnaire is far tricker because despite there being no 'fail', Macquarie has an 'ideal' personality profile for each role based on the profiles of high performers who did that role previously. As you'll have no way to know exactly what this profile is (and the structure of the personality questionnaire makes it very difficult to replicate the profile even if you did), your best bet would be to deduce the kind of traits that would be useful for the particular role based on the job description and what you find out during the first round interview. As a general rule of thumb, Macquarie seems to prize competitiveness, assertiveness, drive and initiative so make sure you can demonstrate that both in the interviews and the personality questionnaire. After you pass the psychometric assessment, you then get invited to a second round interview and this will be conducted by the hiring manager's boss (manager-one-removed) and also one of the hiring manager's peers. I've heard of cases where the second round interview happens before the psychometric assessment but for more senior roles, it seems to be the norm that it happens afterwards. During the second round interview, expect to be grilled on any weaknesses that show up in your personality questionnaire (relative to the ideal profile they have in mind) so just go with the flow and answer with confidence and gusto. They will put you on the spot to see how you think, how self-aware you are, and how well you handle pressure so remember to keep breathing deeply, pause as necessary, and always back yourself up.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why Macquarie? What do you think this role involves and why are you suitable?
      Q: What are some tricky stakeholders you've come across and how did you deal with them?
      Q: What are the challenges that this division will face, and what do you think will keep the division head awake at night?
      Q: What are some of your weak/development areas? How did you improve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

1. Telephonic discussion with HR for shortlisting
    2. Face to face interview with a potential peer and manager
    3. Psychometric testing
    4. Face to face interview with the potential manager and manager's manager
    5. Background verification & reference checks

Interview Questions

• Examples of highly demanding situations from my experience and how I handled them   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

Applied through a consultant. To arrange for an interview it took months. Had one interview wit the hiring manager which went exceptionally well. In fact I was able to tell more than their own program and competitors. He was impressed and suggested for a second round and psychometrics test in the interview itself.
    Next was psychometric test where it all went wrong. I couldn't understand the logic for number crunching exam where as my role was not going to be anywhere related to number crunching. It was very tough exam and had every question timed. I was told by the consultant that I flunked and process stopped there.

Interview Questions

• About the past work. All related to the role. Hiring manager was excellent in the interview - looking for what I had done in past which would be key in my role rather than looking for eliminating question.   Answer Question