Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Nov 1, 2016

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (El Paso, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I had 2 interviews. The first was rather quickly after I applied online and was with the store manager. He was very nice and asked standard questions. He then said that they would either call me for a second interview the next week or send me an email stating I didn't get the job. 3 weeks went by and I called at which time he said that I had been selected for a second interview and that the administrative supervisor would be giving me a call in the next couple of days to set up the interview. I didn't hear from her for another week. When I went in to the interview she was clearly distracted and didn't want to be there. She just kept talking about the job and not really asking me anything. She even at one point accused me of only working hard to get bonuses and made a point to say I didn't have retail experience. Which made no sense, since it was an office position. At the end she said the position had opened back up and they would have to look at those applications as well. I didn't hear from them for another 3 weeks which was me calling to find out about the position. And of course to no surprise she said they had hired an internal. Which I think is what she wanted to do all along. I guess that's the benefit of having your executive friend work over you: the ladder is a lot easier to climb.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was pretty average, there were 3 other people waiting to interview at the same time, however the had several open spots. The HR manager was very nice and polite, she started by asking me to tell her about myself and moved into reading questions off a sheet of paper. The interview lasted 30minutes total.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Macy's?   1 Answer
    • Integritybus very important to Macy's, tell me about a time you experienced a co worker not displaying this and what did you do?   1 Answer
    • This position requires you to multi-task and tell me about a time you were working in a project and had been interrupted and what did you do?   1 Answer

The Macy's site allows you to select a pay range example: $8-$10, $11-$13, I selected the highest pay range and when I asked the starting pay I was told it depends on experience but ranges between $9.75-$11. This was very far off from my selection when I filled out the application online. I would never have accepted the interview had I know we were so far off pay wise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Went to the Herald square store and went to the 7th floor. Sat in a large waiting area for about 30 minutes. Was called by an interviewer and brought to a side room to start the interview. Interviewer read off of a script the entire time.

I am sure they use a applicant tracking program to screen resume/applications, but clearly no person double checks the job posts or applications, as the position was advertised as full-time when it was actually a holiday position, and despite them asking my current salary and what I wanted to make, they still called me in for an interview for a job paying 10$ per hour. Complete waste of time.

About a week later I got an email saying I wasn't being considered further.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you will be doing in this position? (Yes, that was the FIRST question)   1 Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

The interview was very lay back. They told me that the people were jerks but I thought I could handle it. I was wrong. He was opened and honest. Very friendly and down to earth. As long as you have the background the job is easy. It is the people that are horrible.

Interview Questions

• What is your work experience?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

After reading the negative reviews about the job and company, I decided to push through thinking I might have a different experience and since they are willing to give a full time position. When I was getting interviewed the manager said that there was a sudden change of plans and FT positions are for internal hires only (giving way to seniority), then asked me if I was okay with working PT. I dressed up, drove my way there, and waited, and it would be senseless to say that I would be withdrawing my application given I'm already in front of him. I just went with the flow. The interview lasted for about 10-15 mins. Questions were pretty basic with regard to past experiences with multi-tasking, teamwork, integrity, etc.

Should've listened to reviews that don't expect a FT position with them. I just hope they won't try to bait people into applying by saying they offer a FT position, then say they can only give PT when the applicant is in front of them.

Interview Questions

• Give an example where you see someone was doing something wrong, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    • Give an example where your boss gave you extra tasks and you were able to handle it together with your daily primary work.   Answer Question
    • Give an example where you helped someone within the team and what happened afterwards.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Springfield, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was very quick, less than 10 min. The interviewer was very off topic when explaining the job description. Began to talk about how far other candidates were in the interview process making if confusing to me why I was being interviewed

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in retail?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

They actually reached out to me off the strength of my resume. The first interview went really well, but I began to worry, because it took them a month to get back to me. After landing the second interview I was ecstatic, just like the first the second interview went fairly well. Typical interview questions, flowing conversation and really nice employees.

Interview Questions

• What would you say is a negative quality about yourself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received an email invitation to set up an interview the following week. I went to the interview on a Monday and was told I was the first person interviewed and would hear by the end of the week. I got an email 6 weeks later saying I had not received the position.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer follows a script of basic questions, nothing difficult.... Give us a time when you received excellent customer service....   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview process is a joke. The job only pays $10.45 an hour for hr type work. Insulting. Filling out online application and checking salary ranges you would except like $16.00 or more and still get an interview to be told its $10.45 was a shock and waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions

• How little the job pays. After being told what the job actually pays i was asked if i wanted to continue with the interview, i said no, i havent been paid that low of a wage since i was a teen, and that was many years ago. I will never apply for a job at macys in the future   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Relatively simple interview process. It was easy-going and relaxed. The hiring managers care more about your personality and if you would be a right fit for the team than technical skills. The process is also very quick.

Interview Questions

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview El Paso, TX How do you handle criticism?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Houston, TX Why do you want to work for Macy's?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Houston, TX Integritybus very important to Macy's, tell me about a time you experienced a co worker not displaying this and what did you do?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Houston, TX This position requires you to multi-task and tell me about a time you were working in a project and had been interrupted and what did you do?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview New York, NY What do you think you will be doing in this position? (Yes, that was the FIRST question)
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview New York, NY Q: What was one thing that they asked you?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview What is your work experience?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Give an example where you see someone was doing something wrong, and what did you do about it?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Give an example where your boss gave you extra tasks and you were able to handle it together with your daily primary work.
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Give an example where you helped someone within the team and what happened afterwards.
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Springfield, VA Do you have experience in retail?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview New York, NY What would you say is a negative quality about yourself?
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Pittsburgh, PA The interviewer follows a script of basic questions, nothing difficult.... Give us a time when you received excellent customer service....
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Lynnwood, WA How little the job pays. After being told what the job actually pays i was asked if i wanted to continue with the interview, i said no, i havent been paid that low of a wage since i was a teen, and that was many years ago. I will never apply for a job at macys in the future
Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview New York, NY Tell me about yourself.