Macy's Assistant Buyer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Assistant Buyer Interview Questions

3.1

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

A combination of quantitative and behavioral based questions. An online aptitude test was required before on the onsite. Onsite consisted of 4 interviews and an in person case study with a presentation. The case study was a high level, open-ended merchandising scenario. A phone interview was the first step in the process.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to collaborate and lead a group to complete a mission.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Months of interviews and of testing for the EDP program. Recruited from college. Three HR Interviews and one business strategy interview. Very competitive process. Previous knowledge of the business helped but was not required.

Interview Questions

• How have you fixed problems in the workforce in the past?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

This was an extremely behavioral interview, with a focus on how you interact with others and how you lead as an individual. There were multiple interviewers, both with identical questions. Each interviewer had a simple chart that they filled out and took notes in as you answered their questions. If anything, the most difficult aspect of the interview was responding to the same questions back-to-back. Interviewer dress code was business-casual with a tendency to chose brighter colors and more daring accessories than would typically be accepted at an interview. It's a personal choice to match their more trend-based dress code, stick to traditional interview options, or to go down a middle path.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had a group effort and something went wrong. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Very detailed and analytical interviewing process

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, but extensive profile and trait testing   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Macy's recruits through my school. Sent in my resume though our universities job portal. If you were qualified Macy's set up interviews on campus--you interview with 2 people. If you get through to the next step in the process they fly you to New York where you go through a superday with about 100 other people

Assistant Buyer Interview

Interview

First it was a standard phone interview with a HR person. Then you'll be invited to a 2 day in office interview process. You'll first learn more about Macy's.com and the different business strategies they have in place. Then you'll go through 2 one on one interviews with current buyers or planners. You'll also take a really easy math assessment test. Lastly, you'll have a group presentation regarding a case that they give you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

interview for edp program. brought large number of college students to new york. two day interview process. first day all informational and just a time to ask questions. second day you had 2 individual interviews with executive. one behavioral the other more personality fit. took a retail math test - not difficult. then we did a group project/presentation to executives. again not difficult, but more of your decision making process and how you work with others. obviously don't be overbearing or aggressive and open to others ideas.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

Applied online and was reached out to by an HR rep. Had a phone call and then in person interview. It was semi formal. You should know about the company and why you would be good for this job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you faced a difficult situation with a co-worker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

First met with the human resources manager. Filled out a 5 page application and signed a background check waiver. VERY basic questions. Such as biggest strength/weakness, biggest accomplishments, etc.

HR manager contacted me the following day to schedule an interview the following week.

Met with a buyer in the women's contemporary department. The interview was very laid back, in her small office. Basically did a comparison of how the buying department worked at Macy's vs. the other company I worked for. Didn't have much to say and the meeting wa s brief.

Went through extensive background check. Copy of college diploma, called all previous employers for salary and date of hire/end dates, checked 4 references.

Interview Questions

Decided to take a position at another company for more money.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Macy's in February 2008.

Interview

Multiple rounds interview process:
    First step is with a Buyer or Planner who comes to campus: Asks a lot of general questions- Why want position, Name a time when you failed, describe a experience you are most proud of, describe an experience when you had to overcome an obstacle.

2nd round: Called to NYC with a group of 20 other applicants. Broken into groups- asked to prepare presentation solving Buyer type problems.
    Also have 2 one on one interviews.
    Receive decision within 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can offer this position that most people can't   1 Answer

Negotiation

Assistant Buyers have base salary. Usually 45K. If you interned at Macys, might be able to get an additional 2K.
    If your male have a better chance of getting a little more.