Macy's Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

1.8

Retail Support - Visual Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview at HR office, Austin, TX.
    The interview was very relaxed, easy and "standardised". Indeed, the interviewer (she was super kindly and smiling! ) told me: "I'll ask you some questions that we ask to every our candidates, and I 'll report your answer in this paper". It was similar to a questionnaire. They were approximately 15-20 questions, and the flow of the interview was very quick. In some occasion, I tried to give an elaborated answers to her questions, but I understood that it was not so "necessary". The answers that she was looking for were more similar to a "check box" instead of articulated answers. The important thing is to show yourself as a good communicator, keep yourself talking for the all time of interview!
    Very simple and classic questions, like: "why Macy's", "What do you do if you see something strange in the store", "how you convince a customer to open a Macy's credit card", "describe a situation where you was inside a team", "describe a situation where you need to take difficult decision or a risk", "are you flexible" and other similar questions.

Although I applied online for a specific position, the interview was done for the future positions.

Interview Questions

• "why Macy's?",
      "What do you do if you see something strange in the store?",
      "how you convince a customer to open a Macy's credit card?",
      "describe a situation where you was inside a team?",
      "describe a situation where you need to take difficult decision or a risk?",
      "are you flexible?" and other similar questions.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process was over the phone due to last minute hiring for the holiday season. It was great and straight forward w/ questions such as past experience, customer service scenario, and such.

Interview Questions

• What past experience do you happen to have in regards to the retail industry or customer service?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's recruiting system and got chosen to interview within a couple weeks of submitting my application. The night before the interview, we were asked to attend a mandatory information session. At the session, the university recruiter and three store managers were present. The presentation seemed very unplanned and what the Macy's employees did say actually made the internship look unattractive to me. They passed around a large binder that outlined the internship's tasks by the day (would have preferred some flexibility), the store managers seemed unenthusiastic about their jobs, and the recruiter quizzed the attendees (there were ~ 10 of us) about company research topics. It felt awkward and unprofessional compared to other similar info sessions that I had been to.
    The interview was two parts - one 30 minute behavioral interview with one of the store managers, one 30 minute case study interview with the recruiter. During the first part, the store manager had a sheet of paper in front of him with interview questions on it, and he literally went down the list and scribbled down my answers to each one. The questions were very broad and didn't really give me the chance to expand upon the skills listed on my resume. At the end of the interview, I asked the store manager what kind of technology/innovation he had been a part of or seen at Macy's, and his answer was basically that not much had changed since he started working there. He actually said that customers seem to be more on top of technological changes than store associates. Yikes.
    The second part of the interview was a case study where I was asked to pose as a store manager faced with several associates with different issues (some weren't selling many credit accounts, some weren't bringing in big dollar transactions, etc.). I was told to pick one of the associates and fill out a worksheet where I came up with a strategy to help solve whatever problem they were causing, and then present my recommendation to the recruiter. During my 10 minute presentation to the recruiter, she also had a worksheet in front of her, which she frantically scribbled on as a went through my reasoning and recommendations... She didn't look up at me once, no nods of agreement or comments. Afterwards, she asked if I had any questions, and I asked what she would have done with this particular associate. Her response was something along the lines of, "Well there's a Macy's way of doing things, but I'd rather not discuss that with you at this point". So uncomfortable.
    Heard back a few days later that, unsurprisingly, I would not receive an offer. Ended up going with a B2B sales internship at a large tech/communications company.

Store Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I went to a preview night where we learned more about the company and position. They brought in 4 managers and rotated around from group to group. You got a gift card for answering questions/participating. Then I was invited to a private Pre-night for people who received interviews. Then I had two 30 minutes interviews back to back. One behavioral, one coaching.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about us.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an email to schedule an interview. I went in for the interview and it took about 15 minutes. She asked why I wanted to work at Macy's and several situational questions related to customer service and sales. For example, tell me about a time when you helped a co-worker with a problem and what was the solution, and if you just helped a customer find a pair of pants they really liked, how would you encourage them to shop you specifically again?

Interview Questions

She offered me the job, but I declined because of the low pay, $8.55/hour for seasonal, part-time.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I can't remember the exact process we sat down with one of managers and she asked normal questions like past experience, why did i want to work at macys and what was my reason for leaving my past job and etc. normal interview questions

GIFT REGISTRY ADVISOR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

The online application is lengthy. Then you are required to fill out a questionnaire that is a bit of a psychological profile. It's over 50 questions. I was invited to schedule an interivew, which I did. The entire process up to this point was automated. When I arrived for the interview, I was told that the person hiring for the position was off that day, and I would be interviewed by the office manager. It was clear this was a waste of my time. We went through the interview, however, which consisted of a shorter version of the online questionnaire. "What would you do if you saw a fellow employee steal." "Give an example of a time you showed integrity at work." Stuff like that. The next day I received an email telling me I was not being offered the position because of the times I indicated I was available to work. I found this humurous since I had indicated in written and verbal form that I was available days, weekends, night and holidays. When else is there?

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you showed integrity at work.   Answer Question

Store Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied on campus and interviewed on campus as well. I received an offer a couple of weeks later. The entire process was pretty easy and efficient. Definitely go to the info session if that's available to you!

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Cedar Park, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

The hiring process was fast, and easy. I was nervous understandably, but once I realized how easy the questions were going to be. I was asked very few questions in a one on one setting and immediately offered a job. Started training the next day, and was working within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• My duties at my previous job. What had I done there.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

I got an email to schedule my interview online. I scheduled it and when i went in for the interview I talked with the interviewer for about 10 minutes and she hired me on as soon as my interview was over.