Macy's Beauty Advisor Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Macy's Beauty Advisor Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jan 15, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Antioch, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Antioch, CA).

Interview

The interview was very easy, as being a beauty Advisor is essentially being a cashier that has detailed product knowledge in all the beauty areas in that specific Macy's. They want to make sure you have basic sales experience or capability so that you can convince people to open a Macy's card, be able to upsale products and collect commission, and be able to

Interview Questions

• They asked about work experience, hypothetical sales situations, and if I were comfortable getting people to get credit cards (a big part of the job)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Newark, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

They interviewed me five days after I applied for the job. The manager at Macy's was super nice and attentive. She asked me questions about the store and why I wanted to work there. She made me feel welcomed and she was very sweet. She talked to me about the benefits in that job and she was. Dry helpful and honest in letting me know what other positions were available if the position I applied for was given to someone else

Interview Questions

• What attracted me the most to Macy's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Newark, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got an email the next day that I was selected for an interview. I came about 40 minutes early but the lady was very nice and let me in early. The process was simple and really quick.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Describe a time you were part of a team?
      Describe a time you sold a product to a customer?
      How would you entice your client into purchasing a macys card?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Leandro, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I did the interview and it went well. They even called me for a second interview. I was super excited... Then I went to my second interview and they told me there were no spots available and they will contact me later. A few months laters I followed with them and they called me for the official second interview just toncall me for a third one just to tell me I did not have the skills. I did a lot of research on the companies and learned them inside out and even looked up how to sell a card. I looked up the interview auestions amd answered them comfortably on spot and I am good with makeup and I have a few months of experience in retail. Not years but that should not really matter. Why even call me in for a fake interview? That was a waste of time and it broke my heart. I will never shop there or work for Macy's. I actually want to sue them.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a macy's card?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

It's a quick and friendly interview. I went through interview with the cosmetic Manager, then counter Manager. The 3rd interview took a little longer because it's more focus on my knowledge of products and customer service.

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (Fremont, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I had to go through 3 separate interviews in order to get an offer. The first interview was with the Cosmetics Department manager. The second was with the brand executive and the third was with the brand manager and executive. They all asked very similar questions such as why they should hire you, what can you bring to the team and they ask many situational questions. It was overall very easy except for the fact that they take weeks to call back.

Interview Questions

• If you gave cream samples to customers and you had to call back and ask them how they liked it, how would you respond to customers who didn't like the product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (Fremont, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied in January and have gone to 4 interviews in the past 4 months. I am supposed to hear back in the next week or so. Each interview was followed by an interview with a higher up employee. Overall the hiring process is taking longer than expected. If you apply online for the Beauty Advisor position, they usually mean they are hiring counter managers but Macy's just hires under the Beauty Advisor title. (At least that's what I was told) Also even after four months I'm not sure if I'm being considered for an on-call, part time, or full time position because each interviewer gave me a different answer.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with applying make up on a customer's face?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I started by getting a job interview and when I showed up, she was not available. I went back and it happened again, but HR found someone to interview me. I had that interview, then a phone interview, then another interview with a district manager. I was interviewed by the cosmetics manager in a hallway. I was then told I would get a phone interview with another manager and I did. I then was called back for another interview and I was interviewed in the mall in chairs next to lots of people and it was loud and hard to hear. I then had to go talk to a floor manager in her office and there were people coming in and out. I thought it was a very long process, for the job I was getting. I would think for a management position it would be fine, but this was a pt position for selling make-up!

I was hired and went I went in, there was confusion about my paperwork. I trained on the cash register, but I did not think there was much training on make-up application. it was jump in and learn! It worked out.

Interview Questions

• It was not a difficult interview, but it took many trips and time to land a $11 an hour job! Be sure to talk about current trends in beauty and where you get your information from-magazines, blogs, vlogs, etc. I was asked typical questions regarding customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I have a Masters in education so I was given the top salary of $11 plus commission. I did not want to work for such little money, but I had to take what I could get at the time.