Macy's Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Macy's

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Memphis, TN) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online at macys.com. The next day I received an email inviting me to schedule an interview online. I followed the link on the website and it allowed me to choose a date ant time. During the interview, I was informed that the position would require working every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, as well as closing 2 nights a week. Time off must be requested 6 weeks ahead of time. Each month you will get to block out three days that you do not want to work. Pay range is $12 - $15 per hour. I found this distasteful for a management position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was very generic. The interviewer read the questions straight off of the paper. She never inquired about my resume.   2 Answers

I didn't see many benefits to being a manager.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Seattle, WA) in May 2009.

Interview

There will be at least 2 interviews, one in store with a sales manager, and one, most likely by phone, with the vendor possibly a third if the vendor has time and is interested. it takes a bit longer when applying in cosmetics so be patient.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers are looking for specific answers..."tell me about a time when you managed a team and there was conflict?" remember they want a SPECIFIC answer, not "I would ask them to get along, and leave there problems at home"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is ALWAYS room to negotiate, If you have the years of experience and if you feel you are worth more ask for more but be prepared to show it, they will be watching. If you have never worked in this field before, wait one year and if you work hard you will get a raise based on your merit...

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Roseville, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

I came in and met with who would eventually be my immediate manager and the store manager as well. They did a one on one interview with me asking about my experience and telling me that hopes and plans they had for the department.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your work experience and why you want to work for Macy's.   Answer Question
    • What do you think good customer service entails? How do you achieve your sales goal?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate. They offered what they said was top hourly dollar for the position and left it at that.

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I got a 2nd interview after meeting with a cosmetic rep. I was 15 minutes early at HR and followed the instructions on the phone. No one answered the extension. I called 3x and llft a message. It was 5 minutes past my interview appointment and no one came out. I asked a worker that came out of the locked door to let someone know i was there. A man came and interviewed me in a private room. He was very nice. Asked me basic interview questions. "Why do you want to work for Macy's? " He said i did well, but i was not available during the hours they needed full time which was all hours. It would have been nice to get that information before the 2nd interview so that both our times would not have been wasted.

Interview Questions

• How would you get a customer to keep buying from you?   1 Answer

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview

I had an interview at another store and despite open advertisements for Counter Manager positions, they had none available at that store, however I made a good impression at the initial interview and was asked what brands I would like to work for if a position opened up. I got a call a week later stating that there was an opening at another store, whereupon I interviewed with that brand's Executive, then with that store's Cosmetic's Manager, whereupon I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle strife between co-workers or between yourself and one of your subordinates?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told that my offer was high for the area, I responded that it was quite low from my personal research and it did not make me feel desired. I was assured that within a 3 month trial period I could have the rate boosted up substantially and after a one year period with the yearly reviews, I could have it changed to what my original asking rate. This turned out to be false in the end hence my resignation after this turned out to be the case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

It was fine.

Interview Questions

• What kind of makeup would you use in certain situations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Fresno, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied online and was asked to set up an interview appointment. Was interviewed by the department manager on the floor. She was nice and polite. After asking a lot of questions, including my availability and what makeup counter I would prefer to work at, she told me that there was not an opening and that I was going to be "benched".

Interview Questions

• How do you keep a customer coming back to you?   Answer Question
    • If a customer is looking for a specific product, how do you up-sell?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Broomfield, CO).

Interview

Interviewer arrived 15 minutes late, and when I arrived about 5 minutes early they were shocked to see me there that early. First thing interviewer said was I noticed your minimum wage is significantly higher than what we pay. Second thing being that they didn't even have the position I was applying for and she explained that all they had was a non-commissioned on call position and it paid about 50% less my minimum wage to be accepted. They should have never scheduled this interview for me. I also have never been so over dressed for an interview.

Interview Questions

• None, because I stopped her before we really got started.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Research Triangle Park, NC) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied to two local stores in my metro area because they had different jobs available. Macy's has an online system for applying. Using the same resume for each of the two positions, and crafting individual cover letters to point out my skills specific to each position, I was declined for the cosmetics manager position at one store but was called in for a sales associate position at another. The decline came in the form of an email saying that they were not looking for someone with my skills at this time but would keep my application on file. The interview for the cosmetic sales position went extremely well, or so I thought, because the HR manager told me I would make a good fit. On the sales position, the same thing happened. I had a great interview with a floor manager, but received the same email. I later went into the store where the sales associate position was declined to do some shopping and bumped into the manager whom interviewed me. He thought I was there to start work, but when I told him about the email, he said it had to be a mistake. Two weeks later I received a phone call from him asking if I would take a position that was not in sales. Needing the extra income, I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were most successful working in a team environment?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you discovered another associate stealing or helping a customer steal?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for part-time positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Roseville, MN) in June 2012.

Interview

It took a week and half to get an interview after application. Then two hours before I was supposed to be there I was called and told the interviewer was on vacation and to reschedule. So I did, and the HR lady had a bit of an attitude when I did. Then the day before the new rescheduled date I was called and was told the interviewer had a meeting and to reschedule for the next day. At this point I was not hopeful but didnt get another call to cancel so I went. They man I interviewed with was very nice and polite. BUT when I got there he told me the position had been filled and asked if I was open to working a different counter or a different job all together. Luckily, I was open to that. What if someone wasnt though? You still have them come and interview for a job that is no longer available? Shuffle their cookies to Macy's for a job that isnt there anymore? Anyway, I was really nervous about the interview and nervous during the interview. Then after all it took to get the interview and finding out the job was no longer available I was kinda blah. Not "over the job" but left feeling a little icky and tricked a little bit. I would still love to work for Macy's. Have not heard anything since the interview a week ago.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a paticular product? How would you make the sale?   1 Answer
    • You have to get at least 2 credit card signs ups a week, how are you going to get customers to sign up?   1 Answer