Macy's Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

2.7

44 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2017.

Interview

The HR was very nice and asked me to sit outside for waiting, and it took 30 mins.Even though I did not get the offer at last, it was a really experience for me.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Waited 30 minutes just to be seen. The person who interviewed me was very unprepared, and the questions asked were very simple. I never heard anything back because the location closed down a few months later

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interview process took about 15 mins after waiting for about 40 mins for HR to get a hold of a cosmetics counter manager to interview me. The cosmetics counter managers that interviewed me were nice and said that they loved me and was a great fit and that they would pass my info along to the brand and that the brand would be calling me for a 2nd interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Beavercreek, OH) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online, receive an email within a few days telling me to schedule an interview. Arrived at the interview and had to wait a few minutes before the lady came back, but it wasn't very long. The interviewer was very friendly and made me feel completely at ease. She told me that she really liked me and would forward my information to Clinique. I have to wait for the phone interview with Clinique now.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked in an environment that was constantly changing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flushing, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Flushing, NY).

Interview

Scheduled online, very convenient that way. Interview took place in a back room area. Hiring manager was nice enough. Be ready to demonstrate sales experience and specific instances of skills. Also prepare to answer questions about what cosmetics products you use. Phone screen is required after this. Second interview with the manager of a specific cosmetics counter may also be required.

Interview Questions

• What cosmetics products do you use?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable touching another's face (since you will apply makeup to customers)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Yonkers, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

This interview wasn't that hard because the lady was like extremely nice. The only reason I didn't get the offer was because I go to school out of state and I have to go back after the summer but, I was offered on call position but i denied it. I needed something part time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Sacramento, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview. I got to the interview 15 minutes early and the manager thanked me for that. He apologized for having to write notes while I was answering his questions.

Whatever you do, do not ask if there is a sink to wash your hands before/after touching customers, I did, and he did not like that, his face went dark and he said we use hand sanitizers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Cosmetics?
      Give an example of a time you successfully sold a service or an idea.
      Do you have a problem with touching complete strangers.
      Give an example of a time when you worked on a team.
      How would you keep customers coming back to you at Macy's when they can buy make-up at 100 different places.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Orlando, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule an interview, which I scheduled for a few days away. I was interviewed by someone who said they don't normally do the interviews for the cosmetics department. She was in big hurry and very flustered. She only asked me six pre-written questions from a Macy's "interview worksheet" type of thing. She didn't seem to listen to my answers and did not meet my eye contact. When she was done she quickly rushed me out so that she could get back to work. It was very strange and unprofessional. I waited a week before I followed up with a phone call and was told that they had not yet made a decision and I should hear back by the end of the week. Several days later I got an email telling me basically that I am over qualified for the job. I have almost three years of experience in sales and over five years of experience in cosmetics and makeup artistry, I don't see how that is over qualified. What could they possibly be looking for? I definitely aced the interview as I had studied the questions beforehand and was confident while being interviewed. I dressed business professional and definitely looked the part for the Chanel counter position that I was applying for. I am wondering if I had interviewed with the person that does the cosmetics hiring of that would have changed the outcome. Needless to say I am very disappointed and confused.

Interview Questions

• How would you encourage your customers to buy more?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Beverly Hills, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

My appointment was supposed to be at 1:45. I arrived at 1:30 and they literally didn't start my interview until 2:45. I thought it was some kind of test or joke to see how long I would wait/how much I really wanted the job. When a girl finally came to get me, she apologized and said that there was miscommunication & that she thought someone else was going to do my interview. I was only actually in the interview for 5-10 minutes. She asked some questions, and then told me that she was going to be honest- the position that I was applying for was closed and they had already chosen someone else. A big waste of my time... Not to mention my $5 parking, gas, and 3 hours total in traffic.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Macy's?   1 Answer
    • Name a time that you worked on a team to accomplish something   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you sold something, how did you do it?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stressful situations and environments?   Answer Question
    • Here at Macy's we have constant change of environment. Have you worked somewhere similar in that sense? Be specific.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an automated email the next day to schedule an interview. There was a link to a website where you schedule your own interview time by choosing from the times available. I recommend that you choose a day that's close because they tend to hire quickly (based on my experience at two other macys interviews that were canceled because they had already hired someone before my interview date). My interview was scheduled for 1:45pm and I showed up about 15 minutes early. They told me that the interview lady didn't come in to work until 2:00pm and they told me to go walk around the mall. I came back at 2:00 and the interview lady was still not there. I sat in the waiting room for about 20-25 minutes (I had to be somewhere at 3:00 and due to the interview starting late, I was about 30 min late to that appointment) During the interview the lady explained why she was late but did not apologize. She was very friendly and was writing notes as I answered the questions. She asked me for the best number to call me on and said that she would be calling me on Monday. She did not call.