Macy's Holiday Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Holiday Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process is very uniform. Situation/behavioral based interview questions (STAR method). each interview lasts for about 15 minutes. I was in and out of the store under an hour.

Interview Questions

• describe a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer. how did you handle it, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Daytona Beach, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

Quick easy and professional, lots of laughs and probably the most comfortable interview yet. Applied online, received an email for picking an interview date 2 days after applying. Showed at the interview. Lady at desk was very nice, waited 5 minutes for the manager. He came in and introduced himself and from then on it was a pleasant experience.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a pretty short interview. I explained how I had heard about the position and told him when I was available. I was hired on the spot after we had finished and started training the next day.

Interview Questions

• give me an example of when you went above and beyond for a customer   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

They took me to a room and asked me to fill out some paper work. They made me come to the orientation and fill out some more paper work online, with a group of people for 2 days.

Interview Questions

• What hours are you able to work?   1 Answer

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Applied to Macy's online during the holidays, was called for a phone interview and got hired right on the spot. The lady who interviewed me was very friendly. Always greet the interviewer politely, ask how they are doing before the interview. She begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions. She asked me around 9 questions: 1. Q: Why Macy's?
    A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.
    Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.
    2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.
    A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when they are shopping, so I would be sure to tell them that it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without having to present a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online whenever internet is available. Also, there is no need for a receipt when you return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchase the item.
    Notes: She said this answer was fabulous and explained a little more about the credit card.
    3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?
    Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story)
    4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome?
    5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?
    6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.
    A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. I would ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.
    7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?
    A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, what length (pants, capris, shorts).
    8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
    A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together (interviewer loved that answer). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.
    9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?
    A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". Also, comment on how great that outfit will look on them.
    Notes: Something to flatter them.

Interview Questions

• 2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.(VERY IMPORTANT)
      Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Dundee, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (West Dundee, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Set up a one-on-one interview few days after. If for whatever reason the date and time needed to be changed, do it at least 24 hours beforehand. I then got offered a position on the spot and began training that week.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions like describe a difficult situation at school or work, would you rather be a leader or team player, etc. Also know about its credit card.   Answer Question

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got an email a few days later about picking an interview time. This was actually my second time going through the interview process for the same position. When I went through it before (2 years ago) the questions were very similar to what others have said. They read off a script of questions depending on which position you are being interviewed for. At that time I had applied for a support position but thought I had applied for a sales position because I didn't really know the difference between support and sales. So she read questions off a script for support, but I had prepared for the sales questions. Luckily they were pretty similar and the ones I hadn't prepared for were still pretty easy to answer. However, she said she thought I would be good at sales so she added a few questions from the sales script. This time around however it was pretty different. I don't know if it's because I had worked there before or if they changed their system or because I had someone new interview me. Either way, the questions were not really what I had expected since I was expecting what I had gone through before, but this time the questions were actually much much easier. The interviewers both times were very very friendly and quickly put me at ease. It started out with just some small talk and then telling me to introduce myself a bit. Then they ask the standard why Macy's, etc. The basic thing to keep in mind is they are a company about teamwork, putting the customer first and making them feel special (communications), and integrity. So when they ask you questions try and steer your answers towards addressing one of those ideals.

Interview Questions

• 2 years ago:
      1)Why Macy's?
      2)She showed me a picture of some jeans and asked me how I would go about trying to upsale this item.
      3)How would you sell our store rewards card?
      4)Tell me a time when you needed to get something done but things didn't go according to plan or you ran into some difficulty.
      5)Integrity question. Tell me a time when you saw someone doing something they shouldn't and what did you do? How did it turn out?

Most recent:
      1)Why Macy's?
      2)Tell me a time when you helped out a coworker, family member, or friend with some trouble they were having.
      3)Integrity question. Tell me a time when you saw someone doing something bad or inappropriate.
      4)How is my schedule?
      1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. As a holiday hire you have no room for bargaining.

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Applied online, recieved an email to schedule an appointment for the next week. The woman who interviewed me seemed surprised, like she didn't expect me. It was a very structured interview - she asked the standard customer service questions and wrote everything I said down.

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Lewisville, TX).

Interview

Applied online. Took about a week before they got back to me. I came in and interviewed with a manager. I was hired that day. Had to know about the rewards program and answer basic customer service questions. They asked about situationals and personality and what would you do. It took about twenty minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave me a number and I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Atlanta, GA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online. After a couple days got an email telling me to schedule an interview. The first available interview time was 5 days out. Arrived at store 20 minutes early and was taken back right away. Was guaranteed a minimum of 25 hours weekly.

Interesting fact for others: I have multiple tattoos and facial piercings as well as pink streaks in my hair. None of this was an issue. All I was told was that the dress code is black.

Interview Questions

• Questions were no so much difficult as thought provoking. Many questions about integrity in the workplace and dealing with difficult co-workers and customers. It is also helpful to have a general knowledge of the brands that Macy's sells as well as some general retail knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. The interviewer and I established a rapport from the start and after about 10 minutes, I was hired.