Macy's Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.2

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied the position online and got replied to set a face interview, I choose the next day of the day i received their email. Very friendly hiring manager. We had very helpful conversation. Unfortunately they had already hired someone else just a bit earlier than my interview, but overall I am appreciated the opportunity. : )

Interview Questions

• All questions are expected because all of them are based on my working experience.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews. One on 3/13/17 and one on 3/14/17. They were in Houston, TX. I won't say which location, because I'm trying to be nice. But if she's reading this, she knows who she is. The first interview was with a very welcoming and professional gentleman. He was great and made me feel comfortable and valued as a person. The second interview was with a woman. She wasn't rude, but she wasn't very friendly either. She drilled me on how I would handle different situations in the store. When I say "drilled" that's just what I mean. She barked the questions at me and glared at me like nothing I said was going to be good enough. I answered her questions humbly yet confidently. I refused to let her make me nervous, which irritated her even more. She dismissed me after the drill session and I got a rejection email the next day. I'm not upset. I actually feel sorry for her. The pressure of keeping Macy's afloat is not brining out the best in her. I understand that Macy's is closing 68 store in 2017, so the pressure must be enormous to stay off of the chopping block. When she told me that it's required to get at least 4 people a week to open a charge card, I knew that I had applied at the wrong place. It's not 1995. People don't get off on opening charge cards anymore. I'm more than happy to look elsewhere for employment.

Interview Questions

• Her main concern was whether or not I had the ability to convince people to open a Macy's charge card. Most of the interview was about that.   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

Apply online, all communication is through email. Emailed me the invite to interview. In-person interview with a manager. They use a structured interview. All-black dress code. They pay weekly, so that's pretty cool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you saw someone do something wrong. What did you do about it?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Waited 30 minutes just to be seen. The person who interviewed me was very unprepared, and the questions asked were very simple. I never heard anything back because the location closed down a few months later

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I would love to describe the interview process, but since mine consisted of the hiring manager implying that a job position that I have over 10 years of experience with would be " . . . too difficult and too demanding for [me] . . .", I really can't. I was asked no interview questions other than " . . . do you have a resumé?" . . . and " . . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview?" I arrived 15 minutes early and was told to walk around the store for 45 minutes until one of the hiring managers could be located. When I went back 45 minutes later I over heard the woman at the front desk speaking to the hiring manager who was less than thrilled to have to do yet another interview. She actually told him (while I was within earshot) " . . . well, at least she's the last one for the day . . ." Once the hiring manager walked me back to the interviewing room, I knew he had no intention of actually interviewing me, let alone hiring me. I had originally scheduled this interview for the previous week, but at 11:30 p.m. (less than 8 hours before my scheduled interview time) I received an email from someone in HR informing me that the hiring manager(s) wouldn't be staying that late that day and I needed to reschedule my interview. I rescheduled only to be told the day of my rescheduled interview that the position was filled the week before (yes, when I originally was scheduled for an interview). I feel like my time (and the gas in my vehicle) was unnecessarily wasted because a position that has been filled for a week gave HR more than enough time to have the common decency to make a phone call (or send an email) to inform me (and anyone else whose time was wasted in such a manner) that the position was filled.

Interview Questions

• ". . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview. . ."?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

The process was in one day and it took about 3 days to get back with me. I waited for them to get back with me and after the 2nd day i called to see if i was hired and they said that they was waiting on my background so the 3rd day i got a call that afternoon and she said my background came back clear so we agreed on a start date and i hung up

Interview Questions

• What negative encounter did i have with a customer on the job   1 Answer

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online about 10 days ago. Received an email that same day with invitation for phone interview.
     Scheduled the interview for the next day. Waited,; no phone call. Received a call 24hrs later with apology and to reschedule for next day. Again. No call until 2hrs later with another request to reschedule. Did that. Received the call but an hour late. I was driving and couldnt talk, rescheduled.....no call.
     Well, long story short. Dont wait around for the phone interview, apperantly they dont pratice what the preach....reliability, punctionality, integrity.

After 3 days of no communication I called Macy's, the result was the same. Scheduled, no call.

UPDATE: the same day I left this review I gave it one more shot. Called HR, explained the situation, asked if the position is still available and that I would really like the opportunity to be interviewed over the phone. She contacted LP manager and I was interviewed right then.
    The interview took about 20min. Typical questions and easy. Good conversation also.
    Got scheduled for an in person interview end of the week.
    Will update afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Can we reschedule, work with a team, work by myself, availability, comfortable with confrontation, what lp does   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Pretty quick, I was lucky enough to get two interviews in one day. And I was hired right then Macy's is always hiring. You get a interview right when you apply online and BAM you got a job just that easy.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and set up an interview 2 days later. I came in for interview 10 minutes early and got called back right on time. The manager who interviewed me was incredibly down to earth and made me feel really comfortable. When he was done asking questions he called back a department head. She asked me questions about my availability and if I was ok with what the job would entail. She offered me a job in jewelry with flex hours. Overall, really wonderful interview experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell the Macy's credit card?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever encountered a situation where a coworker or classmate did something against the rules and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor - Chanel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

About a week after I applied online, I received an email with a link to an online schedule to make my interview appointment. The night before the interview (which was scheduled in the morning) at 9:30pm, I got a call from HR to reschedule the interview. The HR woman offered an explanation, but no apology. So I rescheduled for a day later. Then, AGAIN, around 9pm the night before, HR called to reschedule the interview a few hours later. The actual interview was pleasant enough at first, basic customer service questions. I have a few years of retail experience and they really liked that. After about 20 min, the interview said the position had been filled and the other Cosmetics positions were filled earlier this morning. I explained to her that HR rescheduled several times, and she said she would’ve loved to hire me but she can’t rescind any offers. In that moment, her phone rings. She PICKS UP HER PHONE, and proceeds to have about a minute long conversation that I’m not even sure was work related. She then offered to set me up for an interview with a different department. As the interviewer and I speak to HR, the HR woman says the department I was to interview with will probably be filled up by the time of my interview (a week and a half later), but I’m welcome to try. They were all very pleasant people, and I’m sure they’re good at their jobs, but this location seems to be very disorganized. Having worked in retail, I understand that things come up all the time. However, I would’ve appreciated a little more transparency or a quick apology.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is the most important thing about customer service?   Answer Question