Macy's Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

2.6

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and set up interview on the same day by Macys job site. Scheduled the interview the next day. First, I guess with HR. then with all simple questions as on Glassdoor. Then, the called on the same to schedule the interview with Cosmetic Manager next week. Then, it got postponed to another week. When interviewed with Cosmetic manager, he asked the same questions as the 1st interview. He said I should get a call in 3-4 days to let me know and if the want to continue, I will have an interview with the brand manager.

Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

You fill out application online and then get email to schedule an interview.

You then go to an interview at the store that you applied for and have an interview in they're executive offices.

After the interview you are either given a job offer, or told that any job offers will be emailed to you at a later date.

If you worked here before , the interviewer will call the manager you used to work for at Macy's and ask them if you should be hired. (i know this because i literally saw the interviewer pick up the phone and call them in the same room after the interview).

I received an email later that day saying that there was no job positions available at the current time.

Interview Questions

• The interviews at Macy's include the same set of questions for everyone which include;

have you ever seen someone steal from the workplace?
      have you ever seen a co worker steal? and what did you do?
      have you ever seen a worker not doing the job they are supposed to do? and what was the outcome?
      These are among the many questions i recall being asked during the interview.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied the position online and got replied to set a face interview, I choose the next day of the day i received their email. Very friendly hiring manager. We had very helpful conversation. Unfortunately they had already hired someone else just a bit earlier than my interview, but overall I am appreciated the opportunity. : )

Interview Questions

• All questions are expected because all of them are based on my working experience.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews. One on 3/13/17 and one on 3/14/17. They were in Houston, TX. I won't say which location, because I'm trying to be nice. But if she's reading this, she knows who she is. The first interview was with a very welcoming and professional gentleman. He was great and made me feel comfortable and valued as a person. The second interview was with a woman. She wasn't rude, but she wasn't very friendly either. She drilled me on how I would handle different situations in the store. When I say "drilled" that's just what I mean. She barked the questions at me and glared at me like nothing I said was going to be good enough. I answered her questions humbly yet confidently. I refused to let her make me nervous, which irritated her even more. She dismissed me after the drill session and I got a rejection email the next day. I'm not upset. I actually feel sorry for her. The pressure of keeping Macy's afloat is not brining out the best in her. I understand that Macy's is closing 68 store in 2017, so the pressure must be enormous to stay off of the chopping block. When she told me that it's required to get at least 4 people a week to open a charge card, I knew that I had applied at the wrong place. It's not 1995. People don't get off on opening charge cards anymore. I'm more than happy to look elsewhere for employment.

Interview Questions

• Her main concern was whether or not I had the ability to convince people to open a Macy's charge card. Most of the interview was about that.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Waited 30 minutes just to be seen. The person who interviewed me was very unprepared, and the questions asked were very simple. I never heard anything back because the location closed down a few months later

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I would love to describe the interview process, but since mine consisted of the hiring manager implying that a job position that I have over 10 years of experience with would be " . . . too difficult and too demanding for [me] . . .", I really can't. I was asked no interview questions other than " . . . do you have a resumé?" . . . and " . . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview?" I arrived 15 minutes early and was told to walk around the store for 45 minutes until one of the hiring managers could be located. When I went back 45 minutes later I over heard the woman at the front desk speaking to the hiring manager who was less than thrilled to have to do yet another interview. She actually told him (while I was within earshot) " . . . well, at least she's the last one for the day . . ." Once the hiring manager walked me back to the interviewing room, I knew he had no intention of actually interviewing me, let alone hiring me. I had originally scheduled this interview for the previous week, but at 11:30 p.m. (less than 8 hours before my scheduled interview time) I received an email from someone in HR informing me that the hiring manager(s) wouldn't be staying that late that day and I needed to reschedule my interview. I rescheduled only to be told the day of my rescheduled interview that the position was filled the week before (yes, when I originally was scheduled for an interview). I feel like my time (and the gas in my vehicle) was unnecessarily wasted because a position that has been filled for a week gave HR more than enough time to have the common decency to make a phone call (or send an email) to inform me (and anyone else whose time was wasted in such a manner) that the position was filled.

Interview Questions

• ". . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview. . ."?   1 Answer

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Baytown, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied and quickly got an automated email to schedule an interview time. I chose the next morning. I did my research by reading all of the reviews on here. One thing I saw a lot was people who would apply for a position, get an interview, then have the interviewer pretty much tell them the position isn't even open. That was one red flag but I like to experience things for myself. Another repeating review I kept seeing was from people who did not get the job, got an automated email saying they were not a good fit because they were not available the times they were needed, but in their interview they stated they had open availability. Another red flag, but still wanted to see for myself. I arrived early and was greeted by VERY friendly ladies. I felt welcome and thought automatically I could picture myself working there. I went into my interview and we talked about my last job, a little about me, our kids, etc. Everything was really mellow and she was sweet. I felt like I was talking to someone I have known for years. Some of the conversation started to sound like I had got the job, but she told me she would call me back tomorrow because she had to talk to her manager to "make sure it was ok" to hire for that position and that the job was going to be taken down today and I was the last applicant. That confused me and gave me a vibe that the position wasn't even open because why would she have to see if it is ok to hire for a position that was posted online and holding interviews for, isn't that what we are here for? Anyways she said she would call tomorrow, complimented me on my shoes, and walked me out. I felt everything was great. I stated I could work whenever and that even though my kids got out of school at a certain time, I could find care for them after school. She assure me I probably would be off by that time anyways. I get home and get an automated email saying I wasn't a good fit because I wasn't available the required times. It was so impersonal and honestly it's like they just check mark a silly reason and press send for your rejection letter. I would have liked to hear that I was just not a good fit rather than saying I wasn't available when that was not the truth. But It wasn't meant to be!

Interview Questions

• How do I deal with angry customers who may come back to the office? Availability? If I am only looking for an admin position?   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Sugar Land, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received a call back because there were questions about a conviction that I put on my application from 1993. The lady was really nice and just asked me to explain the situation. About two days later I received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. I did just that and set it for August 23rd at 4:30pm. I received a call on yesterday asking me if I could reschedule because the Loss Prevention Manager would not be available. I rescheduled to August 23rd at 11:00 a.m. While on the phone, I found out that it would be in person, not on the phone. What if I had not asked? Anyway, I will update later.

Interview Questions

• What were the circumstances of your conviction that you listed on your application.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online about 10 days ago. Received an email that same day with invitation for phone interview.
     Scheduled the interview for the next day. Waited,; no phone call. Received a call 24hrs later with apology and to reschedule for next day. Again. No call until 2hrs later with another request to reschedule. Did that. Received the call but an hour late. I was driving and couldnt talk, rescheduled.....no call.
     Well, long story short. Dont wait around for the phone interview, apperantly they dont pratice what the preach....reliability, punctionality, integrity.

After 3 days of no communication I called Macy's, the result was the same. Scheduled, no call.

UPDATE: the same day I left this review I gave it one more shot. Called HR, explained the situation, asked if the position is still available and that I would really like the opportunity to be interviewed over the phone. She contacted LP manager and I was interviewed right then.
    The interview took about 20min. Typical questions and easy. Good conversation also.
    Got scheduled for an in person interview end of the week.
    Will update afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Can we reschedule, work with a team, work by myself, availability, comfortable with confrontation, what lp does   1 Answer

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I met with a college recruiter at a career fair and had a phone interview a couple weeks later. I had another phone interview about a month and a half later. Waited another month and a half and they flew me to an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of panels and multiple interviews.