Macy's Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2016

2.6

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I would love to describe the interview process, but since mine consisted of the hiring manager implying that a job position that I have over 10 years of experience with would be " . . . too difficult and too demanding for [me] . . .", I really can't. I was asked no interview questions other than " . . . do you have a resumé?" . . . and " . . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview?" I arrived 15 minutes early and was told to walk around the store for 45 minutes until one of the hiring managers could be located. When I went back 45 minutes later I over heard the woman at the front desk speaking to the hiring manager who was less than thrilled to have to do yet another interview. She actually told him (while I was within earshot) " . . . well, at least she's the last one for the day . . ." Once the hiring manager walked me back to the interviewing room, I knew he had no intention of actually interviewing me, let alone hiring me. I had originally scheduled this interview for the previous week, but at 11:30 p.m. (less than 8 hours before my scheduled interview time) I received an email from someone in HR informing me that the hiring manager(s) wouldn't be staying that late that day and I needed to reschedule my interview. I rescheduled only to be told the day of my rescheduled interview that the position was filled the week before (yes, when I originally was scheduled for an interview). I feel like my time (and the gas in my vehicle) was unnecessarily wasted because a position that has been filled for a week gave HR more than enough time to have the common decency to make a phone call (or send an email) to inform me (and anyone else whose time was wasted in such a manner) that the position was filled.

Interview Questions

• ". . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview. . ."?   1 Answer

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Baytown, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied and quickly got an automated email to schedule an interview time. I chose the next morning. I did my research by reading all of the reviews on here. One thing I saw a lot was people who would apply for a position, get an interview, then have the interviewer pretty much tell them the position isn't even open. That was one red flag but I like to experience things for myself. Another repeating review I kept seeing was from people who did not get the job, got an automated email saying they were not a good fit because they were not available the times they were needed, but in their interview they stated they had open availability. Another red flag, but still wanted to see for myself. I arrived early and was greeted by VERY friendly ladies. I felt welcome and thought automatically I could picture myself working there. I went into my interview and we talked about my last job, a little about me, our kids, etc. Everything was really mellow and she was sweet. I felt like I was talking to someone I have known for years. Some of the conversation started to sound like I had got the job, but she told me she would call me back tomorrow because she had to talk to her manager to "make sure it was ok" to hire for that position and that the job was going to be taken down today and I was the last applicant. That confused me and gave me a vibe that the position wasn't even open because why would she have to see if it is ok to hire for a position that was posted online and holding interviews for, isn't that what we are here for? Anyways she said she would call tomorrow, complimented me on my shoes, and walked me out. I felt everything was great. I stated I could work whenever and that even though my kids got out of school at a certain time, I could find care for them after school. She assure me I probably would be off by that time anyways. I get home and get an automated email saying I wasn't a good fit because I wasn't available the required times. It was so impersonal and honestly it's like they just check mark a silly reason and press send for your rejection letter. I would have liked to hear that I was just not a good fit rather than saying I wasn't available when that was not the truth. But It wasn't meant to be!

Interview Questions

• How do I deal with angry customers who may come back to the office? Availability? If I am only looking for an admin position?   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Sugar Land, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received a call back because there were questions about a conviction that I put on my application from 1993. The lady was really nice and just asked me to explain the situation. About two days later I received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. I did just that and set it for August 23rd at 4:30pm. I received a call on yesterday asking me if I could reschedule because the Loss Prevention Manager would not be available. I rescheduled to August 23rd at 11:00 a.m. While on the phone, I found out that it would be in person, not on the phone. What if I had not asked? Anyway, I will update later.

Interview Questions

• What were the circumstances of your conviction that you listed on your application.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online about 10 days ago. Received an email that same day with invitation for phone interview.
     Scheduled the interview for the next day. Waited,; no phone call. Received a call 24hrs later with apology and to reschedule for next day. Again. No call until 2hrs later with another request to reschedule. Did that. Received the call but an hour late. I was driving and couldnt talk, rescheduled.....no call.
     Well, long story short. Dont wait around for the phone interview, apperantly they dont pratice what the preach....reliability, punctionality, integrity.

After 3 days of no communication I called Macy's, the result was the same. Scheduled, no call.

UPDATE: the same day I left this review I gave it one more shot. Called HR, explained the situation, asked if the position is still available and that I would really like the opportunity to be interviewed over the phone. She contacted LP manager and I was interviewed right then.
    The interview took about 20min. Typical questions and easy. Good conversation also.
    Got scheduled for an in person interview end of the week.
    Will update afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Can we reschedule, work with a team, work by myself, availability, comfortable with confrontation, what lp does   1 Answer

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I met with a college recruiter at a career fair and had a phone interview a couple weeks later. I had another phone interview about a month and a half later. Waited another month and a half and they flew me to an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of panels and multiple interviews.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I do not live in Houston so I made a 3 and a half hour trip the day before. At 7pm I got a call saying they had to cancel my interview due to a visit from corporate. They rescheduled me for next week. Next week comes and the lady that rescheduled me had no idea who I was or why I was there. Another girl was told she was hired and then told they didn't have any open positions. My advice to Macy's is if you cheat someone out of an interview, at least have to curtesy to not waste their time. Especially an internal employee. A simple phone call would have helped. I live 3 and a half hours away and you don't pay me enough to afford that kind of gas money.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to apply for one of our seasonal positions?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got an interview request in a couple days. Got the interview the next week. I was asked all the common questions about customer service. I was relaxed. Got to my interview early. Dressed neatly and well-groomed. I did not get hired on the spot like I see all the other people on here doing. I did, however, witness two other people getting hired on the spot while I was in the waiting room. They came out of the interview offices and sat down to wait. Then was told to fill out the highlighted parts of the forms. I did not even get that far. So I was bummed. Still pissed. I was told I was gonna get a call. I doubt I will. So Good luck with Macy's. I will not shop here for sure.

The salesperson who was there was friendly, although when I was walking out her colleague was not very friendly so I am glad not to work with people like that.

Macys Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was distant and asked scripted questions while she made brief notes on a form. I got the impression she had already made up her mine before she started the interview.

Interview Questions

• Your most challenging assignment.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Jesus, guys, no one on here told me I had to check in at the AST office! I got there 30 min early, sat in the gift registry for 40 min like a little punk before I talked to someone. A metro-looking guy interviewed me, who seemed nice, but no handshake or smile goodbye means no job. They said there were no positions open for my availability, even though it was on my application, so I'm sure it was a nice way of saying, "We're not looking for someone like you."

Interview Questions

• Why Macy's? How would you pitch an idea to someone? How would you sell a Macy's Rewards Card? Have you ever seen a coworker do something unethical and what did you do? How would you first interact with a customer? What's something you'd say to encourage a customer to buy something?   1 Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I had to wait 5 min and he asked me a few questions and said "give me one sec" came back and said "all positions are filled up and to just keep trying " but when you go on Macy's website they have a lot of open positions. so I guess that's how Macy's work being that they are a historic company but whatever