Macy's Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.2

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I do not live in Houston so I made a 3 and a half hour trip the day before. At 7pm I got a call saying they had to cancel my interview due to a visit from corporate. They rescheduled me for next week. Next week comes and the lady that rescheduled me had no idea who I was or why I was there. Another girl was told she was hired and then told they didn't have any open positions. My advice to Macy's is if you cheat someone out of an interview, at least have to curtesy to not waste their time. Especially an internal employee. A simple phone call would have helped. I live 3 and a half hours away and you don't pay me enough to afford that kind of gas money.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to apply for one of our seasonal positions?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Apply online. Schedule your interview via an email link. Had two face to face interviews with two different Sr. Exec. Did not ask the typical interview questions. It felt very intense. A lot of company jargon used in the interview. Thought they were interviewing me for the NASA space program. Interviewers made no notes so not sure what or how they were rating my responses. It was about 24 interview questions altogether with side questions for clarification. Even though I prepped for the interview it felt like I was completely unprepared. It lasted about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• How do you influence or inspire others? How do you handle an employee you like but does not perform well? How do you let stakeholders know that you have the company's best interest in mind?   Answer Question

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through college recruiting. I met a recruiter on my campus and was directed to apply online through my college's career service website. I was then contacted for the initial interview, which consisted of a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute business case. The night before the interview I attended a "pre-night" session. This is crucial! Go to this. The case involved selecting an employee to invest time in coaching to improve overall sales. I then was contacted for an on-site interview. We had a webinar the Monday before the event that had some information on logistics. The on-site interview is a two-day process. The first day consists of an orientation, a tour, and a networking dinner. The second day consists of our interviews: 1 behavioral, 1 based on questions they have about you from the online assessments, an individual business case, and a group exercise.

I met some great people throughout the interview process and learned a lot, but one of my issues was that during the webinar, one of the recruiters told us that there is a job for each of us if we were the right people. This is a little misleading in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to convey something unpleasant to a supervisor.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandising Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I had been wanting to get into visual merchandising for a long time so when I got the call for an interview I was so excited! The day of the interview I couldn't have been more prepared and I drove an hour away to get there. Obviously that's how bad I wanted the job, anyways I drove all that way just to hear them say the position was filled. I never have been so disappointed. I understand they may have had other interviews, but they don't take the time to interview everyone and then decide? And they couldn't have called me ahead of time to let me know? They took the time to call and schedule an interview? They just told me to apply for other positions, but they were positions I wasn't interested in. I did get a second call from a different location and got to interview with them and it went great! Very comfortable and nice people. It was more than one person so it made me nervous at first, but talking with them made me feel right at home.

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (The Woodlands, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

HR person called and then they rescheduled. After rescheduled called and started explaining why the last interview didn't happen. Then HR asked why I didn't check the overnight button? I told the store is closed at 9 pm. HR told me there is some overnight work involved. Sounds like a lie to me. I told him applied for the shifts I could work days and evenings. HR then said your not needed and refused the interview !! That is it...

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online. Did not get what I applied for.(had 2 interviews) I was asked some personal, non job related questions.**see below in interview questions 4 details.

NO communication about hourly rate or hours/schedule.(details you pick up along the way) Not really shown much you have to ask. You must be a quick self taught learner or it will be a difficult and stressful place to work. Many friendly employees.

I like the diversity,culture and want to be a part of Macy's. Training needs a little improvement. The flexibility of most of the employees at macy's is very good.

Interview Questions

• Do you have kids,are you married, Are you going to school.(these put me on the spot and was uncomfortable) Not job related. I believe these questions didn't have anything to do with experience in my opinion. I guess it could go either way depending on who you talk to.   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX).

Interview

You fill out application online and then get email to schedule an interview.

You then go to an interview at the store that you applied for and have an interview in they're executive offices.

After the interview you are either given a job offer, or told that any job offers will be emailed to you at a later date.

If you worked here before , the interviewer will call the manager you used to work for at Macy's and ask them if you should be hired. (i know this because i literally saw the interviewer pick up the phone and call them in the same room after the interview).

I received an email later that day saying that there was no job positions available at the current time.

Interview Questions

• The interviews at Macy's include the same set of questions for everyone which include;

have you ever seen someone steal from the workplace?
      have you ever seen a co worker steal? and what did you do?
      have you ever seen a worker not doing the job they are supposed to do? and what was the outcome?
      These are among the many questions i recall being asked during the interview.
      Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews. One on 3/13/17 and one on 3/14/17. They were in Houston, TX. I won't say which location, because I'm trying to be nice. But if she's reading this, she knows who she is. The first interview was with a very welcoming and professional gentleman. He was great and made me feel comfortable and valued as a person. The second interview was with a woman. She wasn't rude, but she wasn't very friendly either. She drilled me on how I would handle different situations in the store. When I say "drilled" that's just what I mean. She barked the questions at me and glared at me like nothing I said was going to be good enough. I answered her questions humbly yet confidently. I refused to let her make me nervous, which irritated her even more. She dismissed me after the drill session and I got a rejection email the next day. I'm not upset. I actually feel sorry for her. The pressure of keeping Macy's afloat is not brining out the best in her. I understand that Macy's is closing 68 store in 2017, so the pressure must be enormous to stay off of the chopping block. When she told me that it's required to get at least 4 people a week to open a charge card, I knew that I had applied at the wrong place. It's not 1995. People don't get off on opening charge cards anymore. I'm more than happy to look elsewhere for employment.

Interview Questions

• Her main concern was whether or not I had the ability to convince people to open a Macy's charge card. Most of the interview was about that.   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Account executive and Macy's management collectively come together to interview and hire you. The account executive seemed to have more input on who to hire. The process was done via phone only, except with meeting with the account executive. It took a couple of weeks for the whole process. The Macy's manager was the one taking their time, probably to make sure that I was 100% the right candidate. Overall, it was a pretty stress free interview process.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle multiple units? Do you understand business reports?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process was little long and unorganized. The rescheduled my interviews few times and at the end I was interviewed for an other person that wasn't the sales manager.

Interview Questions

• Reactions to different situations with customers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

na