Macy's Visual Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Retail Visual Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

The job I applied for was a retail visual merchandising assistant PT position, but was declined after the 1:1 interview, which I had expected since I come from an IT background and had zero experience with retail and visual merchandising - but I still took a chance! Regardless of the outcome, it was a pleasant and easy interview thanks to the interviewer, who was very friendly, kind, and had put me at ease.

Even though I was not hired for the first position, the interviewer passed along my name to two other merchandising team managers and after two quick 1:1 interviews, I was hired as a merchandising lead (current job). I love my job - yes, I wish it was FT with a better pay, but I can't complain since I'm grateful for getting this opportunity when no other major retailers would give me the light of day.

My only advice for the hiring and interview process is to show ambition, determination, and enthusiasm - they want to see that even if you don't have the experience, you have that desire to show them what you've got and that you have the willingness to learn.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about visual merchandising and do you know how to read diagrams?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation possible. When you first get yourself involved in retail, you have to expect to receive a small pay, but as you gain more experience and recognition, you cross your fingers and pray that you'll get a promotion or apply for a job that you're now qualified for.