Macy's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

5,922 Interview Reviews

2.2

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview set up for a Tuesday at 3:30. They called me at 2:10 p.m. and said manager was busy. They rescheduled for Friday at 1:30 p.m.
    Friday came and nobody ever called or emailed or nothing. Two weeks later, ....still nothing.

Interview Questions

• Did Macy's ever contact you as promised?   1 Answer

Visual Merchandiser Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Boca Raton, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the company website and received an email from the manager around two weeks later asking to set up an interview. I scheduled an interview for the following week and a week later received an email from Macy's telling me that I wasn't being considered any further.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Degrading. The completely automated and very time consuming process culminating in an automated request for an interview was like a slap in the face.
    They didn't even have the decency to make a phone call to schedule an interview - instead the automated process wanted YOU to be available as a computerized time slot was sent.
    To make it more degrading, YOU had to check back through the computer system numerous times for the slot.
    This explains why the sales help at Macy's is the worst posssible and they are closing stores left and right.
    The "face of Macy's" that works directly with customers is lazy and generally illiterate - that is if you can find a salesperson.

EDP Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Literally took 3 Months. I went through 4 interviews. One phone call interview then second round interviews and than a all day event interview. It included group problem solving, group presentation, and two interviews. On from Head of a department and a HR person. It was long and over the top. Not only did I have to take two assessments for the in person interview I also had to take two online assessments.

Beauty Advisor - Lancome Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY).

Interview

I mentioned that I had no previous retail experience, yet all of the interview questions were based on having prior experience. Wasn't surprised that I didn't get an offer. However, the recruiter shouldn't have scheduled an interview with me if they had known I had no experience (I wrote this on my resume AND cover letter).

Retail Cosmetic Sales Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Culver City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had applied a week ago and got an email 4 days later and then I had emailed to schedule myself to an interview. So then I get to the HR department and then I had to wait about 30 minutes. Afterwards I was seen by a lady who wasn't very eye contactive and wasn't very energetic maybe because it was a monday. Long story short once the interview was over the lady said I would get a email back but did not specify when.

Interview Questions

• Do I feel comfortable touching people's faces?   1 Answer

Retail Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Sacramento, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

1st interview, I was supposed to be interviewed by a male interviewerr, but as I was waiting a woman showed up who took me into the lunch room to interview me.different person than others, 2nd and 3rd same interviewer/different branch All interviews differed and I believe my age and gender were a factor.

Interview Questions

• What was my previous jobs, how did I handle things, etc. some asked for my previous supervisor, some did not. !st interviewer grilled me like I was in court and made me feel very uncomfortable. 2nd interviewer (different store) was totally different from the other and didn;t ask me many questions at all. Neither store interviewer wanted to see my document I brought from my previous Macys employer....why not?   1 Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Braintree, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later, received an email asking me to schedule an interview online through a portal. I asked if I could do a phone interview because I am relocating to MA from Philadelphia, but don't live there yet, and was told that interviewing in person is the only option. I decided to schedule an interview for 5:30pm the following week, which was an available time on the online portal, and fly to and from Massachusetts on that same day. I received a confirmation email for the interview, and another reminder email the day before the interview.

When I arrived for the interview, they seemed confused that I was there. I was told that the position was filled, and the person supposed to interview me was not even there - they finish work at 4:00. 5:00 and 5:30 were available interview times on the portal online and they did not seem to even realize that I was coming, regardless of the confirmation emails I received.

I spoke to another person as a stand-in interview, probably to just appease me because I had literally flown to Boston for a few hours for an interview that wasn't going to happen, and was told that the person who was supposed to interview me would absolutely call me the next morning because I have great qualifications for the position. This was also probably to appease me because they didn't call me - I gave them a few days and then emailed them, but still never received a call or an email back. A few days later, I emailed Macy's customer service, looking to be redirected to HR, and still didn't receive a response.

Right now I'm out $390 for the round trip flights and about $100 for cab rides to and from the airport. I was only met with people trying to gently nudge me out of the office, when I had showed up for an interview that I scheduled, and had confirmed, through the Macy's website.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The HR manager had a list and he/she would randomly pick 10 questions to ask . And he/she make sure that your available schedule is what you are available . He the manager was bashing about "integrity" Therefore , I believe that you have to throw in integrity in it to get the job. I went there interview twice and didn't get the job . I bet they have to see you and like you . or else the manager would throw in hard to answer questions . Ask a lot about scenario questions , what if someone steal ? and what experience you have that great candidate for this job

Interview Questions

• If a customer asks if you can help her with using Macy's App what will you do ?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Extremely difficult interview. Personality questions about an instance with teamwork issues and how you solved it. A problem with computers and how you fixed it. Asked about 2 items on my resume. Asked about when and how to sell the Macy's card to customers and what to do if they didn't want it. Asked why Macy's and why this position? Asked what department I would be interested in - I said suits. Asked how I would HOOK a customer onto a sales pitch. After that we went into more detail about the sales position "Let's say I was a customer looking at suits... how would you approach me?" I explained my approach, method, and friendliness to the interviewer.

Interviewer asked the question again "Let's say I was a customer looking at suits, with an unlimited budget... how would you approach me?" I went into a lot of detail about the suit and fabrics and what the customer was looking for in a brand to try to narrow down the line of products. Interviewer wasn't impressed, almost bored. Suddenly he told me that there were no positions available, but that HR would contact me if there was any available within 2 weeks and asked if I had any questions. For those who are unfamiliar with Macy's, this meant that I bombed the interview and got rejected right then and there.

Questions I asked were about the company, about how he joined, benefits, etc. Finally I straight up asked "What would have been a better response to that suits' question you asked earlier?" He avoided the question but finally he told me: "If a customer walks into a store looking for, let's say suits, you need to guide the customer to what he or she is looking for. You're supposed to recommend suits, pants, ties, shoes, cuffs, etc to that customer to not only meet our sales quota, but to exceed it. We don't often get customers looking for a specific product or having an unlimited budget, but if they enter our store, then that means they have an idea of what they are looking for and you need to lead them.

"Therefore, your job is that you just don't make the sale, you make sure that you exceed it and sell the customer the complete package. We want you to push sales at Macy's because that's the job you're applying for. Otherwise, if you can't do that then why would we hire you?...

"Do you have any questions?" I said no thank you, and left.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time where you worked as the leader of a team to achieve a specific goal. How did you solve a difficult problem?   Answer Question
    • How fluent are you with computers? Tell us a time where you had an issue with technology and you found the solution to it.   Answer Question
    • How/when to sell Macy's card? When/where/how do you approach the customer? What do you say/recommend to the customer? What are your department interests/products? How do you approach a sale (Socially? Factual? Positively?) How much are you supposed to explain a product? How do you HOOK a customer onto your sales pitch (BE CREATIVE, not just "Hi, how are you today?") What do you say when a customer doesn't want to apply to the Macy's card because it is sketchy? What Macy's products interest you? Why Macy's and why this position?   Answer Question