Macy's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

5,729 Interview Reviews

2.2

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (City of Industry, CA).

Interview

Sat down in a room and was asked why I wanted to work for Macy's and mostly situational questions, as well as my availability. The interview was about 20 minutes and I received the job on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

It was a 1:1 interview with a Sales Manager. We went over some basic/easy interview questions and she took notes. Most of the interview was conversational and seemed to test how you could create conversation from those questions rather than the questions themselves.

Anonymous Interview

Interview

It was all behavioral (no technical questions about buying/planning) with some questions generally about retail and how Macy's as a company works. It seemed like they wanted to learn about you as a person, as well as see how your skills would be desirable at Macy's.

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Tacoma, WA).

Interview

Had a phone interview then a week later I had a in person interview and was told that Id hear back within a day or 2 because they were looking to fill the position quickly... almost week later, calls me to come in again (another mini interview) then was told that I'd hear back quickly about a phone interview with the regional LP manager, few days pass by and I get an email saying I didn't get the job, next day I get a call saying that I was going to get a call the next day (so I didn't lose the job). Did the interview the next day and was told that I'd hear back the next day if I got the job... almost a week later I got the call and I decided that I didn't want to work for a company who says one thing but does another, first impressions go both ways and while they were interviewing me, I was interviewing them at the same time. Plus pay was bad for the cost of living in the area and competitors, also have a degree and the most I'd make was just above minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Filled out a long test and then got an email back within a week. Was taken into a room with one of the managers and asked me a couple of questions. Got an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the advancement in Macy's technology?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews. One on 3/13/17 and one on 3/14/17. They were in Houston, TX. I won't say which location, because I'm trying to be nice. But if she's reading this, she knows who she is. The first interview was with a very welcoming and professional gentleman. He was great and made me feel comfortable and valued as a person. The second interview was with a woman. She wasn't rude, but she wasn't very friendly either. She drilled me on how I would handle different situations in the store. When I say "drilled" that's just what I mean. She barked the questions at me and glared at me like nothing I said was going to be good enough. I answered her questions humbly yet confidently. I refused to let her make me nervous, which irritated her even more. She dismissed me after the drill session and I got a rejection email the next day. I'm not upset. I actually feel sorry for her. The pressure of keeping Macy's afloat is not brining out the best in her. I understand that Macy's is closing 68 store in 2017, so the pressure must be enormous to stay off of the chopping block. When she told me that it's required to get at least 4 people a week to open a charge card, I knew that I had applied at the wrong place. It's not 1995. People don't get off on opening charge cards anymore. I'm more than happy to look elsewhere for employment.

Interview Questions

• Her main concern was whether or not I had the ability to convince people to open a Macy's charge card. Most of the interview was about that.   Answer Question

District Merchant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Many series of interviews - but very quickly held and relatable. Very honest and open interviews with expectations (with exception of amount of travel). I attended 6 interviews in this process speaking with the recruiter, HR director, my immediate supervisor, meeting one on one with two other directors independently and ultimately the National Vice President of division. Everyone was very forthcoming with expectations and was very open to hearing what I could offer.

Interview Questions

• How will you work to establish relationships quickly to get the job done.   1 Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Naples, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (North Naples, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very easy. I applied to the company's website. After the application was accepted, I was sent an email to schedule a date and time for the interview. It was very convenient.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for the position?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I interviewed at Macy's (Edison, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

After I filled the application I got the email for interview at the same day. I had to follow the link given to choose the interview date and time. It was a simple process.

Fine Jewelry Clerical Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's in March 2017.

Interview

The process was rather fast. I applied online, got an email to schedule my interview time, and I was interviewed the very next day.

I was asked why I wanted to work for Macy's while walking to the interview room. The whole interview took about 15 minutes.

I was emailed the day after the interview that I didn't get the job because I wasn't available for the hours they needed, even though in my application I said I was available everyday of the week for morning, afternoon, and night.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Macy's?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you made a mistake that caused issues for others and how did you solve it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to sell different options to someone.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to quickly change what you are doing.   Answer Question