Macy's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

5,805 Interview Reviews

2.2

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Very easy process. Nothing too major. The interview was staged. In other words, the questions asked were just read off a piece of paper. basic questions. which like why should we hire you? and what's your previous work experience? if any.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southgate, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Southgate, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Recieved an email the next day of an interview offer. Scheduled my own interview online the next day. My interview was a week from when i applied. Very simple, straight to the point interview. Friendly staff.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle day to day pressure of unruly customers?   Answer Question

Administrative Support Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Santa Barbara, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

the HR manager couldn't have made me feel more comfortable. The process was so quick and easy. I checked in at the desk and sat for maybe 5 minutes while waiting for the manager and the interview itself took around 30/40 minutes. The questions were basic, standard, easy to answer

Interview Questions

• How involved are you with technology?   Answer Question
    • (Integrity) Describe a time/setting where you caught a coworker, classmate, peer, etc doing something they shouldn't have been doing. How did you handle the situation   Answer Question
    • Describe a time/setting where you connected with a customer   Answer Question

Women's Shoes Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Flint, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

They emailed me about a week after submitting an online application and had me set up an interview online. I arrived for the interview a few days later and was asked a few extremely simple questions by the store manager. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. After the first interview I received a call from them asking to come in for a second interview, this time with the department manager. She had a list of my answers from the first interview and just asked the exact same questions as last time; I'm guessing she wanted to hear my answers for herself. Two days later they called and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• How well do you perform in an environment where you have to switch back and forth between tasks?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you went out of your way to assist a customer or stranger.   Answer Question
    • What do you believe is the most effective way to work together with a group?   Answer Question

Lancome Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Antonio, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Well, after waiting for an ample amount of time, I was then interviewed. We went over the application, and right after interviewing me she informs me the position is filled. Then asks if Id like to work in another department. To which she will send an email for an interview....

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I am an extremely enthusiastic person. I went on the interview and it was a room with 3-4 HR reps and you were supposed to spend 1/2 hour with 2 of the HR reps. The first person i spoke with was engaged in my interview. We spoke about multiple things both job and non-job related. The second person was looking at her phone the whole time, and looking away. Zero eye contact. She would ask me a question and then check her text messages (absolutely Rude) To top it off i was scheduled for my interview and arrived more than on time and when i walked into the room for my interview the HR Reps had a load of resumes on the table but my resume wasnt there. They were totally unprepared. Then ta few days later they had the nerve to tell me i wasnt offered the job, but in all actuality i was never fully interviewed. Macy's needs to get a grip on their HR Reps Interviewing team. Looking for work is a stressful enough process there is no need for your interviewer to be texting while interviewing you. She also had the nerve to ask me "Oh, the other guys asked you all the other questions right?" (like how am I supposed to know what the questions are , am I interviewing myself) give me a break! If this is a representation of your company. I will take my experience and most of all RESPECT some place else. I walked out from that room feeling completely agitated and wanting to chop my macy's card in two.

Interview Questions

• The other interviewer ask you all of the questions right? (What questions lady!!, how will I know what questions are on your sheet to ask me?)   1 Answer

Retail Selling Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Birmingham, AL) in May 2017.

Interview

I completed the application online. The very next day after I submitted my application, I received an email to schedule an interview day/time. I submitted the application on Tuesday. I got an email on Wednesday (the next day) that I am invited for an interview. I logged into my job application account and followed instructions on the email to schedule a day and time for the interview. They give you up to 2 times to change your interview date/time. I signed up for the earliest available interview date (that Saturday afternoon). The manager was interviewing several candidates one after the other so I was in the waiting room for a bit longer than my scheduled interview time. I interviewed at Brookwood Village Macy's in Birmingham, Alabama, and the manager's name is Zach. He was incredibly informative about the position. It was more of a conversation rather than an interview. I asked him questions about the various positions available and he answered them. He also asked me standard interview questions and I answered them as well. He asked me specific questions about my resume and my retail work experience. I didn't feel nervous or intimidated because he is a 20 something year old young manager and he made me feel very comfortable in his office. I learned a lot about Macy's and what the company represents and the significance of the word, "magic". They use the term "magic" to describe what happens when a customer purchases their product. He was also very encouraging and taught me a lot during the interview. Despite the online negative reviews about working for Macy's, I feel that it all depends on your perspective. Are you willing to look at the positives or the negatives of the company you choose to work for? And if you have a wonderful manager who respects you and is willing to teach you the appropriate skills of training you so that you do the best at your job, then I don't think you have to worry about the bad reviews. And even if you do have a manager you may not get along with easily, life has its challenges and you learn to overcome from those challenges in order to excel in life and move onto the next job. Life is a learning process and there are always ups and downs.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had difficulty working with an employee. How did you resolve the conflict?   1 Answer
    • How do you establish a relationship with your customers so that you can get repeat business?   1 Answer
    • If you are assigned to work in a department (i.e., if you are working in mens everyday, but they have a shortage of staff for the home department, and you are assigned to work in home) how would you approach the department and how would you work there? My response was to ask the person in charge of that department and ask them what specific tasks they need completed for that department.   1 Answer

Fine Jewelry Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vero Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Vero Beach, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

Easy and comfortable. You can talk to the administrators like they're people. They did a second interview on the spot. My position wasn't available at that time due to some sort of site error on their jobs site, so I was reinterviewed by a really nice guy for a Sales Lead position. Things didn't work out for me so well in the second interview, but in spite of that they liked me and offered me a position in women's shoes. I accepted their offer and begin tomorrow. Just letting people know; the key to successful sales is to be your best self. Success lies with your ability to be organic and real. I feel like I made friends through the process. Good luck everyone!

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to lead a team to success, experienced failure, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any room for negotiation, which is pretty normal in such a large entity as Macy's.

Sales Associate/Cashier, Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I went 15 mts early
    Main thing about retail job is your availability weekday evenings and the weekends
    If you are not available that time then you won't get the job for sure
    The online process asks for your availability
    But when we go for the interview they will say they need you in different timings
    They won't interview saying they need u in the weekends
    The lady who interviewed me didn't continue to ask questions since I chose I am not available for weekends
    Then I had to convince her that the online application didn't mention anywhere that weekends is a must
    I thought I will get the job for sure
    But ☹️ No

It's almost a week I didn't get any call back

Waiting!!!

Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and received a an invitation to for a phone interview. They mainly asked about my background, what I did at previous jobs, and what kind of job I was looking for.