Macy's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017
6,020 Interview Reviews

2.2

Retail Support Lead Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I applied for the job, and a couple days later I received an email inviting me to interview.

On the day of the interview, I found my way to the back room, and was not greeted by the ladies (I'm assuming they were receptionists). I had to get their attention in order for them to turn around and notice me, and they seemed annoyed at me for talking to them, directing their statements about me towards each other rather than addressing me personally.

I waited about 5 or 10 minutes after the interview was supposed to start. The interviewer was obviously unsure of himself, and reading his introduction and questions directly from a piece of paper. At the end of the interview, he said, "Well, let's see what we've got for you," and stepped out of the office.

He came back about ten minutes later; all the while I could hear his conversations with other staff right outside the door. They were trying to figure out which positions were actually hiring.

When he came back in, he said, "I have good news and bad news. Right now we don't actually have any sales positions open, but there should be one in the next couple weeks. Are you willing to wait for that?"

I was taken aback, because I had obviously just been interviewed for a supervisor position, and I had applied to be a supervisor in the back room. I asked him if the position I actually applied for was open, and he asked me what that position was specifically. What?! How do you actually go through with an interview with someone and not even know what they applied for?! I was shocked.

Once I explained to him the situation, he had to leave the room again. He came back about ten minutes later and told me that I shouldn't have ever been interviewed by him, because I had applied for a stock position, and he worked on the sales floor. So then, I had to set up a second interview with the right person.

When that interview came around, she literally read the same questions off the SAME piece of paper that had my previous answers written on it, and at the end, she informed me that I would have to go through ANOTHER interview with the supervisor of the job I applied for. I was told that THAT was my second interview; I had thought the second interviewer WAS my possible future supervisor.

I went to the third interview, but at that point I could tell they were so disorganized, and I was offered and accepted another job during the whole complicated process.

It was really a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which a coworker breaks company policy?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

To rounds of networking followed by two back to back interviews. One was behavioral and one was analytical. Both were fairly straightforward as long as you had prepared and done your research.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Mason, OH) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied for Macy's and got an email a few days later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was just a basic overview of the job as well as about five behavior questions.

I was then invited to come on site to do an interview with the operational manager. You first complete an assessment when you get there and then will be taken to a room with the hiring manager. It was a very laid back interview with more situational and behavior questions as well as more details about what the job consist of. I was hired on the spot with a pay increase.

Interview Questions

• Provide a time when you did additional research to help you solve a problem.   Answer Question

Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online, contacted via email from HR. Showed up to interview 20 minutes early and manager saw me and finished interviewing me within 10 or even less. The manager seemed uninterested, kept “mmmhmm”ing me as I spoke and made me felt rushed and unwanted.

Interview Questions

• What made you apply to Macy’s?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to work in a team and had someone difficult. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Integrity is a big thing here. Describe a time you witnessed something whether at school or at work where someone did something they weren’t supposed to do. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Are you able to work by yourself?   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Antonio, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager was very unorganized and failed to follow-up on our phone interview. It got rescheduled three times to advise me she couldn't make it. Then the last time I never got a phone call.

Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's in August 2017.

Interview

Recieved an email of my interview a day after i applied. Walked into the interview and it turns out the lady who was supposed to interview me did not know she was interviewing people that day. She looked flustered and grabbed paper and directed me towards an office. She left me there for about 5 minutes. When she came back she told me that if I was interested in a full time position in hand bags and that there were no positions available in cosmetics. Prior to going I knew from workers there that they still had positions in cosmetics even in fragrance. Overall I did not accept the position.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Secaucus, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied the job through Indeed. Even though it's headline was Seasonal Warehouse Associate job it was really an material handler job dealing with jewelery which I came to know after I went for interview. I had a call from HR before interview telling me to come tomorrow and I went and it was a little difficult to find their office in Secaucus, New Jersey. The interview was at 10:00 AM but it started late at 10:30 AM. The interviewer asked me a bunch of questions but all were questions heard before.

Interview Questions

• What made your interest in Macy's?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a situation at job where you were time bound to do a certain thing and how you accomplished it and whether it was finished?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • How did you manage to do a certain task while you had to do another task at the same time?   Answer Question
    • Have you handled any electronic devices?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Phila, PA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online was prompted to schedule an interview. When I arrived for my interview I was asked basic questions about the job descriptions and duties, how I work under stress and pressure etc. Then I was offered the position on the spot and shown the starting salary rate ask whether I wanted to accept or reject the job.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted the job and why I felt like I was a good fit for Macy's. How I've worked in difficult situations in the past.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Palmdale, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online & was asked for an interview the next day. Interview went very well but I mentioned the possibility of going back to school. I was told a few days later I did not have the availability they were looking for although I was available any day of the week.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable touching people's faces?   1 Answer

Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got an email a day later to schedule an interview. It only took about 20 minutes and it was very relaxed. They read from a packet filled with standard questions and explained what you're going to do. Hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation when you and a coworker didn't get along and how you handled the situation   Answer Question