Macy's Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2018

2.4

800 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Massapequa, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Massapequa, NY).

Interview

had a over the phone interview and they offered me the job before i got off the phone. very easy & very simple and they will tell you if you got the job no more waiting for them to call you back

Interview Questions

• to tell a time when i had to use my car as my bed   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY).

Interview

One interview, it takes about 30 mns. I was in a room with floor manager. He was very nice and make the process very easy. The interview went like a regular conversation.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Bridgewater, NJ).

Interview

It was semi formal one on one type of interview in a private space. The interviewer noticed my educational background and recommended I worked in a different department that I will enjoy better.

Interview Questions

• It was questions like how would you handle a angry customer. How would you sell the benefits of opening a Macy's card.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The white elderly interviewer was too cynical. She realized I was going through hard times in my life, yet though so many stories have been told where people going through very tough times showed up for the interview and were even told we will give you a second interview, she did not give me that chance at prestigious Macy's that I have always looked up to, me a fashion fanatic.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

Applied on line. A week later received invitation to interview. Showed up at interview with a copy of my resume which majority of the group did not have. Filled out an application. Called in for a group interview. The two one on one interviews with various managers. Called back to interview with dept. head. Got offer the next day.

Associate Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Equal Opportunity.... unless you are a male.

The interview started with a presentation about Macy's, history, present day, values etc. During the interview it was emphasized several times that they are a equal opportunity employer.... well they are not.

As a male I can tell you that the environment is very anti-male. From the moment I set foot into the office I have not sen a single male and was greeted by a female. Macy's presentation was conducted by a female. Their technical design department, at least what was shown on the screen, is 6 females. I was interviewed by the 2 of them ( from the pictures on the screen).

One of them kept second guessing my experience and did not have any meaningful answers to my questions.

I was one out of 6 candidates interviewed that day. The other 5 candidates were females. As an immigrant and a male I felt like the company was hostile to me. In other words they do not welcome immigrants and especially immigrant males (I am also an ethnic minority but I guess it did not strike them that I might be) .

Needless to say their choice was a female candidate. I have received no sufficient explanation as to why my candidacy was rejected. I had all the qualifications for the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem and how have you resolved it?   Answer Question
    • Something along the lines of what would I do if the person I was working with was "difficult"?   Answer Question

Vice President Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Cold called the SVP for information on the position... while they were forthright in explaining the job, direct reports and responsibilities, they did not encourage a long term and qualified employee to apply... instead said to go thru proper channels / recruiter

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was very quick and straight forward. They know what they're looking for. I was interviewed 3 times (all in different days)- HR Manager, the Buyer and the GMM of the department. Interview process took 2 weeks before extending out the offer.

Interview Questions

• They want to know how motivated you are to be in that position- Why you want to be in that position, What do you want to do in 4-5 years..   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

For someone equipped with extensive corp experience, and retail experience, the conversation could have been more mature rather than the template list of questions geared to inexperienced individuals. They require staff remain completely schedule flexible which is illogical for most people, especially if holding down more than one job.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

The process is pretty long. After applying online I didn't hear back until about a month later. Scheduled a 30 minute phone screening with HR. They ask pretty basic questions. About a month after that they scheduled a 30 minute online Skype interview with a buyer. If you make it past that round then they fly you out all expenses paid to the New York Headquarters. The interview is 2 days. The 1st day you learn more about the company and the culture. They get you comfortable with the brand and then you are told to go to the Herald Square Store to observe for a business case that you will do on the 2nd day. The 2nd day is when the interviews take place. There is an interview with HR, a business case interview, a math test and a group interview where you are put in groups of 4 or 5 to analyze the business. The process is pretty long but they are trying to figure out your strengths and weaknesses as a candidate. You will constantly be interacting with the other candidates which helps you in the business case analysis and helps you build relationships for if you get the job. Keep an open mind throughout the whole process. Heard back after the onsite interview within about 2-3 weeks. Overall it ended up taking about 3-4 months from applying online to hearing back after the interviews.