Macy's Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Sales Interview Questions

Interviews at Macy's

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taylor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Taylor, MI) in August 2013.

Interview

Questionairre on line part of the application process onebto one interview

Interview Questions

• Would you rather work alone or with others   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

one interview on the phone, second one face to face with the manager

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's in August 2009.

Interview

I applied online and I received an email within a few days asking me to schedule an interview via the internet. I arrived to the interview a few minutes early and waited as other candidates arrived. The interview was in a group format. There were 4 or 5 of us at the same time and we had to role play out on the sales floor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (San Diego, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

came in and asked where i was suppose to go for my interview. the hr came and asked a few typical questions.. "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" as well as scenarios and how i would handle them. overall i found the interview to be fairly easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

let me just say that the wait was long. i got interviewed by a nice lady and told me to wait afterward. i then got interviewed by another lady... she then sent me home nd told me to wait by the phone

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Paramus, NJ) in October 2011.

Interview

There are about 7basic questions
    Why Macy's?
    Describe a time when you received exceptional customer service?
    Are you available all shifts?
    How do you figure out the next step in a project without direction?
    Have you ever sold before?
    If you saw a coworker bend or break the rules, what would you do about it?
    In a team or group project what were you responsible for and what was the outcome?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is none - cut and dry all associates start at $8/hour

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Questions are simple. Just asking why Macy's and what interests you most. How do you feel about working with a team and so on.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about having to do the same thing over and over again? Or when you spend a long time working on something like folding sweaters and a customer messes it up right in front of you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really was no negotiation. They have everything set.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Interview process was nice and friendly. It was a short 15-20 minute interview.

Got a better offer from another place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's recruiting system and got chosen to interview within a couple weeks of submitting my application. The night before the interview, we were asked to attend a mandatory information session. At the session, the university recruiter and three store managers were present. The presentation seemed very unplanned and what the Macy's employees did say actually made the internship look unattractive to me. They passed around a large binder that outlined the internship's tasks by the day (would have preferred some flexibility), the store managers seemed unenthusiastic about their jobs, and the recruiter quizzed the attendees (there were ~ 10 of us) about company research topics. It felt awkward and unprofessional compared to other similar info sessions that I had been to.
    The interview was two parts - one 30 minute behavioral interview with one of the store managers, one 30 minute case study interview with the recruiter. During the first part, the store manager had a sheet of paper in front of him with interview questions on it, and he literally went down the list and scribbled down my answers to each one. The questions were very broad and didn't really give me the chance to expand upon the skills listed on my resume. At the end of the interview, I asked the store manager what kind of technology/innovation he had been a part of or seen at Macy's, and his answer was basically that not much had changed since he started working there. He actually said that customers seem to be more on top of technological changes than store associates. Yikes.
    The second part of the interview was a case study where I was asked to pose as a store manager faced with several associates with different issues (some weren't selling many credit accounts, some weren't bringing in big dollar transactions, etc.). I was told to pick one of the associates and fill out a worksheet where I came up with a strategy to help solve whatever problem they were causing, and then present my recommendation to the recruiter. During my 10 minute presentation to the recruiter, she also had a worksheet in front of her, which she frantically scribbled on as a went through my reasoning and recommendations... She didn't look up at me once, no nods of agreement or comments. Afterwards, she asked if I had any questions, and I asked what she would have done with this particular associate. Her response was something along the lines of, "Well there's a Macy's way of doing things, but I'd rather not discuss that with you at this point". So uncomfortable.
    Heard back a few days later that, unsurprisingly, I would not receive an offer. Ended up going with a B2B sales internship at a large tech/communications company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Brief phone interview, face to face with store manager. Very laid back. Not difficult. If you have any experience in the field you are interviewing for they will want to know specifics.