Macy's Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.1

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Jose, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Today my interview appointment was scheduled at 3p.m. I came in 2:45, because I like to come earlier. They said me to wait until 3. I didn't mind, but when it was already 3:10 I was very suprised, that person, who should assist me didn't do that. I was patient and was waiting for. They said me, that interviewer on his lunch and I have to wait. When it was 3:24 another girl came in and said, that her interview should be at 3:30, I said that mine at 3. We were sitting and waiting for someone. Finally, they came at 3:40 and invited the girl to come in and said me to wait until they will interview her. I was shocked. I just left. It was the worst interview forever.Come there was just waste of my time. And I will never come to Macy’s, even as a customer.

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews. One on 3/13/17 and one on 3/14/17. They were in Houston, TX. I won't say which location, because I'm trying to be nice. But if she's reading this, she knows who she is. The first interview was with a very welcoming and professional gentleman. He was great and made me feel comfortable and valued as a person. The second interview was with a woman. She wasn't rude, but she wasn't very friendly either. She drilled me on how I would handle different situations in the store. When I say "drilled" that's just what I mean. She barked the questions at me and glared at me like nothing I said was going to be good enough. I answered her questions humbly yet confidently. I refused to let her make me nervous, which irritated her even more. She dismissed me after the drill session and I got a rejection email the next day. I'm not upset. I actually feel sorry for her. The pressure of keeping Macy's afloat is not brining out the best in her. I understand that Macy's is closing 68 store in 2017, so the pressure must be enormous to stay off of the chopping block. When she told me that it's required to get at least 4 people a week to open a charge card, I knew that I had applied at the wrong place. It's not 1995. People don't get off on opening charge cards anymore. I'm more than happy to look elsewhere for employment.

Interview Questions

• Her main concern was whether or not I had the ability to convince people to open a Macy's charge card. Most of the interview was about that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was easy. They asked basic questions regarding past work and your goals. I had a phone interview and then invited to come in for a in person interview. The interviewer was polite. I did not accept the job based on the hours that was offered.

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Winston-Salem, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Very easy going, they are very polite ans just want to know what you can provide for the company. They ask you a list of trival questions off a sheet of paper and want to hear how you have shown examples of what you have provided for customer service and higher sales.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle upset customers?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Interview

I had two interviews. After I applied they set up a call. Then after the call they asked if I could come in. I have had a lot of sales experience so they just asked basic sales questions. After that interview they called me and offered me the job. It was pretty easy.

Sale's Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Orlando, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

He was really expecting a lot from me when it came to have a basic knowledge on sale's. H strictly addressed the dress code. Positive attitude all the time to always impress the clients. Bacherlo's nor associates are required.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Columbus, OH) in November 2015.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks. I applied online. They contacted me by email and set up a phone screen. They called me back for an in person interview. I was offered the job shortly afterward. I declined as I was offered another job at the same time that had better benefits and hours.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Columbus, OH).

Interview

I applied online for receiving position and received an online confirmation. I showed up for interview posted and was told that was a mistake and that position wasn't available but that a sales position was. I accepted the sales associate interview and was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's recruiting system and got chosen to interview within a couple weeks of submitting my application. The night before the interview, we were asked to attend a mandatory information session. At the session, the university recruiter and three store managers were present. The presentation seemed very unplanned and what the Macy's employees did say actually made the internship look unattractive to me. They passed around a large binder that outlined the internship's tasks by the day (would have preferred some flexibility), the store managers seemed unenthusiastic about their jobs, and the recruiter quizzed the attendees (there were ~ 10 of us) about company research topics. It felt awkward and unprofessional compared to other similar info sessions that I had been to.
    The interview was two parts - one 30 minute behavioral interview with one of the store managers, one 30 minute case study interview with the recruiter. During the first part, the store manager had a sheet of paper in front of him with interview questions on it, and he literally went down the list and scribbled down my answers to each one. The questions were very broad and didn't really give me the chance to expand upon the skills listed on my resume. At the end of the interview, I asked the store manager what kind of technology/innovation he had been a part of or seen at Macy's, and his answer was basically that not much had changed since he started working there. He actually said that customers seem to be more on top of technological changes than store associates. Yikes.
    The second part of the interview was a case study where I was asked to pose as a store manager faced with several associates with different issues (some weren't selling many credit accounts, some weren't bringing in big dollar transactions, etc.). I was told to pick one of the associates and fill out a worksheet where I came up with a strategy to help solve whatever problem they were causing, and then present my recommendation to the recruiter. During my 10 minute presentation to the recruiter, she also had a worksheet in front of her, which she frantically scribbled on as a went through my reasoning and recommendations... She didn't look up at me once, no nods of agreement or comments. Afterwards, she asked if I had any questions, and I asked what she would have done with this particular associate. Her response was something along the lines of, "Well there's a Macy's way of doing things, but I'd rather not discuss that with you at this point". So uncomfortable.
    Heard back a few days later that, unsurprisingly, I would not receive an offer. Ended up going with a B2B sales internship at a large tech/communications company.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First,meet the HR manager.After that,I was invited to meet the dept manager.The dept manager called me for a shot talking,then met me for 30 mins.They are very nice!!Let me feel very comfortable to talk with them.