Macy's Sales Supervisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Sales Supervisor Interview Questions

Interviews at Macy's

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Stockton, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Submit an Online application and you will get a call 1-2 weeks. Interviews are mainly taken by the Store Manager and in some cases, you will be called for another round of interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Columbus, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

The process is pretty laid back and focused on explaining the culture of the store and the responsibilities. Then a series of "how would you handle...questions are asked. They asked questions about coaching methods, problem solving and asked about personal goals and ambitions.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to give an example of a time I identified an associate with potential and how I gave that person opportunities for growth and development.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Salisbury, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

The process took about two weeks. I applied online and recieved a call the next day. They performed two one on one interviews starting with the Store manager interview, then District HR. They both seemed very positive through out the process. I caught them both right before their vacations began so the offer was what took the longest. I asked for more than what they normally offered for the position and was given what I asked without an issue.

Interview Questions

• Describe your most troublesome employee.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Macy's (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

My interview took place at the Macy's Downtown location. I arrived at 10am and waited for about an hour to be interviewed. Other candidates, who were applying for sales floor staff positions came and went, since there was a specific person who was supposed to interview me for the supervisor position I had sought. Time finally came for me to interview and I'm walked to a small room with the gentleman I had been waiting for since I was told he was in a meeting. Before the interview, he gave me his personal cell phone number to check with him on the status of the interview. He asked me standard questions regarding my experience in a leadership role and things seemed to have gone just fine. Near the end of the interview he asked me how much I was currently getting paid, I told him and I proceeded to ask him what the salary range for the position I was interviewing for was and he stated that he wasn't sure. You aren't sure about what people at the position you conduct interviews for are getting paid?!! If he did know and didn't want to tell me, that doesn't help matters at all by leaving the candidate in the dark about what the potential pay for the position may be. Why else am I sitting in front of you? If he didn't know, that's just embarrassing, and he should be educated on what information is needed to give potential employees. At the very end of the interview, I asked him how long it would take to know whether I had received the job or not. It was a Thursday and he told me I would know for sure by Monday, and to contact him on his personal phone on Monday to follow up. I contacted him and he said he will get to HR about my application and will let me know. Fast forward to three weeks later, and I have not heard anything from anyone. It's lazy, unorganized, and unprofessional to waste an applicant's time like that. Remember, applicants aren't only potential employees, but potential customers as well.

There should also be multiple people involved in the recruiting process.

Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Lawrenceville, NJ).

Interview

Simple. No in depth questions. Had an inexperienced manager interview me. Than got interviewed by store manager and HR rep. Minimal questions. Was well over qualified for position. My direct supervisor constantly insulted me

Interview Questions

• Are you available to work nights and weekends?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Terrible. They rate of pay is terrible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Dallas, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

Originally sent on-line resume in February 2011. Once I arrived in Dallas, I called (as requested) and the interviewer scheduled a time for us to meet -- March 25. Upon arrival at 10 am - I waited for nearly 30 minutes before she asked me to her office. Very nice person. We talked for nearly an hour.

Interview Questions

• Why Macy's   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to correct an associate. How did you do it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • If your department was behind by $40,000 with two weeks left in the month--how would you motivate your employees?   1 Answer
    • What is one of your weaknesses?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

I was given a call to come in after submitting my application online. After a brief and general interview, I was called back 3 days later with the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the incidence of direct violence on the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered a base salary.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2011.

Interview

I interviewed during the Sales Supervisor/Sales Manager hiring fair. I had previously made contacts within the company and it turned out that one of my interviewers was one of my contacts, thus making the interview more comfortable (though certainly not easier).

The interviewer has a set of questions that they are "required" to ask you, and they go down the list. The key to a successful interview is to use the STAR method (situation, task, action, result). The questions are all behavioral, so the interviewer is looking for examples of your past real-life situations. Do not ramble on in the answer, get to the point.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from everyone else out there?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Fayetteville, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

Originally, I had applied online for an entry level Sales Associate position. Within a couple of days, I received an email asking me to schedule my interview. The initial interview was very relaxed and cordial.

The interviewer read questions from a sheet and took down answers. The questions, for the most part, were behavioral and typical for a retail/customer service environment. The interview lasted approximately 20 minutes. At some point, the interviewer left the office and returned 5 minutes later. Upon his return, he said that I was "over-qualified" for the Sales Associate position and asked if I would be willing to come back the next morning to meet with the Store Manager to discuss a Supervisor position.

I returned the next morning and had a very pleasant experience talking with the VP. He said he was anxious to fill the position and asked me more questions pertaining to leadership and management skills. From there, I was passed on the Human Resources Manager whom I talked with for a few minutes. I was asked if I had time to meet with the store's Merchandising Manager. Having the opportunity to meet the executive team was a great experience! Everyone was extremely pleasant and friendly. After leaving the store, I received a phone call from the Regional VP and she conducted a 10 minute phone interview. I was asked very similar questions that I had already answered earlier. At the end of our conversation, she said everyone had been impressed and they would be calling me back. Within the same day, the store VP called and extended a formal offer for the position. He also said that he would like to "fast track" my career progress to possibly have my own store within a year.

I will be overseeing three departments and 20 sales associates.

I'm convinced this is a great opportunity! Macy's has a proven track record and has shown steady revenue growth for the past three years. From my experience, thus far, they really strive to create a family atmosphere. The Macy's Company is over 150 years old and has a very rich history and is committed to giving back to the community.

Retail may not be for everyone. You need to possess a strong and sincere passion for the industry. It can be a demanding and challenging field but you will know whether or not retail is right for you.

It's important to research your company and know the demands of your potential position. I spent quite a a lot of time researching Macy's history, their ratings, and their annual financial reports. The more you know, the more impressed they will be with you.

Interview Questions

• "As a new supervisor for an experienced group of associates, how would you go about introducing yourself to your team and earning their respect and loyalty?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No need to negotiate--I was offered the salary I asked for during the application process.

Sales Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview

I had to come in for two interviews. They were pretty standard. Asked me questions about previous experience why I wanted the job ect. They wanted specific answers that gave examples of my experiences and not just vauge answers.

Interview Questions

• Give an instance where you had to make a choice that was not popular with everyone even though you knew it was the right one. How did you handle it?   Answer Question