Macy's Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 7, 2017

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Daly City, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interview was nerve racking. The person on the phone asked a lot of customer service and work experience questions. They were polite and very nice. They provided good details about the process. I think if i was less nervous it would have been a lot better. But the lady was really nice and polite and i felt like she really wanted a good fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Hayward, CA).

Interview

horrible done by an ignorant who wants to enslave you for sub par wages- it is all about hiring people who will accept their low pay. plus they never tell the reason why they did not pick you , it is subjective like school applications

Interview Questions

• what would you like your hourly pay to be? i said 13-15 and never got a response   1 Answer

Seasonal Retail Sales Part Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Hayward, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process went very quickly. I spoke with the manager of one of the floors and she was very busy but very kind! The questions asked were the common ones that you'll find listed on Glassdoor. "Why Macy's?" etc.
    We went over the responsibilities, the fact that the job would be crazy and required a lot of attentiveness, multitasking, and lots of energy. We also went over my resume, my availability, and my plans for the near future. She wanted to know if I was going to need any days off.
    I then asked about policy on piercings since I have a smiley and septum ring. There is no policy that says no facial piercings, but they're more acceptable in the cosmetics and juniors departments. There is a dress code though, and that is, to dress dark.
    It felt like a good conversation more than "an interview". It seemed like it took around 15 minutes.
    I hope this helps anyone that will be interviewing at Macys!

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a customer if they look like they need help?
      If you could chose your favorite department to work in, which would it be?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for an amount higher than they could offer, and the manager let me know that everyone brought in during the holiday season, starts at base pay. After the holiday season, if there is an opportunity to continue working at Macy's, then that's when one can apply for a permanent position that will pay more.

Seasonal Recovery Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the following day I got an email saying they were interested and to set up an interview date. The HR was really kind. He told me the interview would only be about 4-5 questions since they needed employees and those questions would determine if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Out of other places to work at seasonally why would you like to work at Macy's?   Answer Question
    • What does integrity mean to you? What was a time in which you came across a situation that involved integrity?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability? Would you be able to work holidays and weekends?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online as a seasonal associate first and the the interview process was easy. They asked general situational interview questions. The training process was very informational and you always get paid for being there. After my seasonal position, I got called in for a on-call sales associate which was almost the same as the first interview.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Concord, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was only over the phone; I didn't even have to go into the store to meet in-person. The questions she asked were very simple and were all behavioral. My problem with this process was how unorganized it was! I applied online and received an email two days later that said they were going to interview me on the phone "very soon." I was not able to schedule my own interview time and had no idea when they would call me that day (it turned out to be 2 PM). The interviewer said that she would call me back in a few days for my employment status. I didn't receive a call until a week later. The man on the phone scheduled me for two training days in December. Later that day, another woman called me and asked me to come in on Saturday for a full 8 hour shift. I am so confused.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you saw someone doing something morally irresponsible (like cheating/stealing) and what did you do to confront the person?   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Pleasanton, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I arrived 1 hour early prior to my interview appointment. I wanted to come early just in case I had to fill out any paperwork (I didn't) or maybe could get interviewed sooner. I waited the whole hour until my appointment came and was interviewed 15 minutes after my appointment time. The interview went really smoothly and the person who interviewed me was very casual! He asked me 4 questions and I was really comfortable. I gave him very detailed answers and included a lot of examples when he asked me two questions of "if.... what would you do?" and I felt like the interview went perfectly. I asked two questions at the end, he told me to wait for a while and he came back into the room with paperwork which I filled out, and then concluded the interview process with a "Welcome to the team!" I was interviewed today and told to come back tomorrow for my training day 1. I assume I got the position and was hired on spot!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my starting salary (minimum wage). I applied for a seasonal job so I was told that it's also non-commissional. If you want to work for Macy's, definitely do your research and find out if their pay/hours are convenient or work for you. I didn't get the hours I wanted, however I'm still very satisfied that I got the job.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Walnut Creek, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied for different position, had 2 interviews. 1st was with position supervisor who was new to their position, 2nd was with supervisor but department manager. Was notified within a couple of days that I had received the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle customer objection   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

easy straight forward. The interviewer was very nice, not much preparation was needed. Just be yourself and you should pass it. Not hard at all, anybody could pass the interview to be honest.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Usually I was called back in a couple of days no later than a week. I applied online and i received an email tellign to choose date and time for interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you open credit?   1 Answer