Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2018

2.0

416 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (West Covina, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online on a Thursday, got an email the next day about setting up an interview. I got to pick what time and day I wanted to be interviewed. I chose the upcoming Tuesday and I now have a job at Macy's! The interview was about 15 minutes long and the interviewer was really nice and friendly, she left the room for about a minute to review my answers and came back and offered me the position I applied for. She then told me I would receive a call to set up orientation and training, I received the call the next day! (:

Interview Questions

• Describe the position you applied for, and what you think your duties will be for that position?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I applied online and within a few weeks received an email to schedule an interview. Instructions were included in the confirmation email and I went onsite for an in-person interview. After signing in, I waited with the other candidates. One manager conducted the interview so it wasn't as intimidating and he was very friendly. Interview questions were straight-forward and used to assess level of expertise in this job field.

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

Applied on line. A week later received invitation to interview. Showed up at interview with a copy of my resume which majority of the group did not have. Filled out an application. Called in for a group interview. The two one on one interviews with various managers. Called back to interview with dept. head. Got offer the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (El Paso, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application on Monday and received an email a few hours later with a link to schedule an interview. I selected the earliest time which was Thursday morning. On Wednesday I received an email reminding me of the upcoming interview. I came to the "interview" 20 minutes early and waited until the scheduled time of my interview at which point a lady came up and informed me that all interviews had been canceled since the position was already filled and that I should've received an email stating that the day before. I checked my email upon leaving and didn't have an email canceling my interview. All in all it was a huge waste of time applying here.

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Allentown, PA) in December 2017.

Interview

I went to Macy's for an interview yesterday and got hired right on the spot. ALWAYS be at least 10-15 mins early to any interview). The lady who interviewed me was very friendly. Always greet the interviewer and shake their hand before the interview and after. She sat me down and begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions. She asked me around 9 questions. The questions and my answers are as follows:
    1. Q: Why Macy's?
    A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.
    Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.
    2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.
    A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when they are shopping, so I would be sure to tell them that it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without having to present a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online whenever internet is available. Also, there is no need for a receipt when you return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchase the item.
    Notes: She said this answer was fabulous and explained a little more about the credit card.
    3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?
    Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story)
    4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome?
    Notes: I explained about my team I was a part of in BPA(Business Professionals of America). There were 4 of us and we had to present a Powerpoint Slideshow to 3 judges. If I didn't complete my part of the powerpoint then that would affect all of us. We ended up not passing State and going on to the next step, because our powerpoint speech didn't reach 15 minutes.
    5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?
    Notes: I said yes. Then proceeded to tell her about my previous job at Quiznos in a University. We were always getting new subs for the menu. We had to learn how to make every new sub. Also, I was the cashier there too. The student cards would change, and so would the sandwich prices.
    6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.
    A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. I would ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.
    7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?
    A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, what length (pants, capris, shorts).
    8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
    A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together (interviewer loved that answer). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.
    9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?
    A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". Also, comment on how great that outfit will look on them.
    Notes: Something to flatter them.

Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Modesto, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I went in to my interview and was sat down , my interviewer sat down across the table from me and asked me several questions about my previous work then asked me what would I do in specific scenarios.

Interview Questions

• If you caught a coworker doing something they were not supposed to do how would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Not hard. But 3-4 questions about situation, past experience and availability. I was waiting one week after interview to get a result. Its not comfortable. The interview took 15 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

For someone equipped with extensive corp experience, and retail experience, the conversation could have been more mature rather than the template list of questions geared to inexperienced individuals. They require staff remain completely schedule flexible which is illogical for most people, especially if holding down more than one job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (San Antonio, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a day later, and asked me to schedule an interview. The interview was quick and to the point, they told me they would call me or email me in a few days, they never did.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's in November 2017.

Interview

Interview took less than 20 minutes. I was asked at the beginning of the interview if I was looking for seasonal or permanent part time work. I said that I applied for seasonal but I would be interested in a permanent part time position if one was available. The manager was very pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in my answers. I was asked about my availability as well as my past work experience. At the end of the interview, I was hired.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that I witnessed someone (a co-worker, friend, student, etc.) doing something that they were not supposed to and how did you respond?   Answer Question