Macy's Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Interview

Arrived early to the hiring center it's for a store that hasn't yet opened so they were interviewing in like a cubical office space. Interview was short asked situational question what was odd was she asked me if I would taking positioning in other areas in the store which I said yes. Then at the end of the interview she said I would be called for a second interview but that there was no more visual positions open. But I don't understand why I would interviewed for a visual position if they were no longer hiring.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to change direction and start a new project unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied for a visual merchandising position and the next day received an email to schedule an interview. The day before my interview, I received an email that this position has been filled. Usually, a company will interview everyone that is scheduled and decide after.... A week later, this position came up on indeed.com so I reapplied thinking the person didn't work out or they needed another visual merchandiser. Next day, received an email to schedule an interview. When I went in for my interview the guy at the front desk said that this position has already been filled and that "they were suppose to" email people telling them that it has been filled. I explained to him what happened the prior week and he just slightly giggled and said sorry. This was very unprofessional and a waste of time.

Anonymous Employee in McAllen, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (McAllen, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online on a evening and got an email to set up an appointment for the interview. I set up the interview for the next day. The interview was quick. They asked 5 behavioral questions. The hiring mnaher said it was a standard set of questions. I did not get the position I applied for but they offered a different position. After I did the interview I was told to choose the days for my training. They ended up calling me in to do the training the same day I did the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a team member not doing his work and how you approached him/her.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's (McAllen, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

The person was not the hiring manager and felt like the questions where just questions not a conversation to really figure out if I was a fit or not, the lady said my hiring manager will review this and give you a call, it didn't happen and I felt like the manager didn't wanted to interview because I heard someone calling the lady to tell her: can you do this one I've done so many already

Interview Questions

• where and what I did when encountered a dishonest situation at work   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Alpharetta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

I got to to Macy's about 10 minutes early for my appointment. The interviewer was 10-15 minutes late. She didn't have a copy of my resume so, I gave her one. After reading over it she said I was very impressive and she thought this was a sales interview. She then went outside the room, but within ear shot, to ask if the VM manager was available to speak with me. I overheard some one telling her that they didn't have any VM positions and if she had asked if I wanted to interview for anything else. He then ran down a list of sales departments that were hiring part time. She returned and told me what he said and I asked to speak to the VM manager anyway to introduce myself for later consideration. She was very excited to take him my resume for him to review. She said he was working on the floor but was very interested in me and wanted me to email my resume. So, it may not prove to be a complete waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I would love to describe the interview process, but since mine consisted of the hiring manager implying that a job position that I have over 10 years of experience with would be " . . . too difficult and too demanding for [me] . . .", I really can't. I was asked no interview questions other than " . . . do you have a resumé?" . . . and " . . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview?" I arrived 15 minutes early and was told to walk around the store for 45 minutes until one of the hiring managers could be located. When I went back 45 minutes later I over heard the woman at the front desk speaking to the hiring manager who was less than thrilled to have to do yet another interview. She actually told him (while I was within earshot) " . . . well, at least she's the last one for the day . . ." Once the hiring manager walked me back to the interviewing room, I knew he had no intention of actually interviewing me, let alone hiring me. I had originally scheduled this interview for the previous week, but at 11:30 p.m. (less than 8 hours before my scheduled interview time) I received an email from someone in HR informing me that the hiring manager(s) wouldn't be staying that late that day and I needed to reschedule my interview. I rescheduled only to be told the day of my rescheduled interview that the position was filled the week before (yes, when I originally was scheduled for an interview). I feel like my time (and the gas in my vehicle) was unnecessarily wasted because a position that has been filled for a week gave HR more than enough time to have the common decency to make a phone call (or send an email) to inform me (and anyone else whose time was wasted in such a manner) that the position was filled.

Interview Questions

• ". . . are you sure the position was still posted when you scheduled your interview. . ."?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Baltimore, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

It was so welcoming and a very comfortable easy interview. I actually applied for a sales position but the employee referenced me to another position that better sited my career path.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experiences that you can say relates to this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Memphis, TN) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied on line; Email notification they want to meet at the store I applied for the position; Arrived 15minutes early wearing a suit, with hard copy of resume and references in hand. Other candidates were dressed as associates, all black. I was called promptly, the process lasted all of 20 minutes! Very few questions asked. The interviewer was all of 20 something, looked like he didn't review my resume before hand.

Interview Questions

• #1 question, if someone on your team wasn't pulling his/her weight what would you do? #2 question, if your employer asked you to do something unethical how would you handle it? #3 Why do you want to work at Macy's? Thats it!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Braintree, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later, received an email asking me to schedule an interview online through a portal. I asked if I could do a phone interview because I am relocating to MA from Philadelphia, but don't live there yet, and was told that interviewing in person is the only option. I decided to schedule an interview for 5:30pm the following week, which was an available time on the online portal, and fly to and from Massachusetts on that same day. I received a confirmation email for the interview, and another reminder email the day before the interview.

When I arrived for the interview, they seemed confused that I was there. I was told that the position was filled, and the person supposed to interview me was not even there - they finish work at 4:00. 5:00 and 5:30 were available interview times on the portal online and they did not seem to even realize that I was coming, regardless of the confirmation emails I received.

I spoke to another person as a stand-in interview, probably to just appease me because I had literally flown to Boston for a few hours for an interview that wasn't going to happen, and was told that the person who was supposed to interview me would absolutely call me the next morning because I have great qualifications for the position. This was also probably to appease me because they didn't call me - I gave them a few days and then emailed them, but still never received a call or an email back. A few days later, I emailed Macy's customer service, looking to be redirected to HR, and still didn't receive a response.

Right now I'm out $390 for the round trip flights and about $100 for cab rides to and from the airport. I was only met with people trying to gently nudge me out of the office, when I had showed up for an interview that I scheduled, and had confirmed, through the Macy's website.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online, they emailed within a few hour to schedule an interview I guess because I was very available.
    Easy interview, pretty much talked about the job. Bring a portfolio if you have one and don`t forget to send a thank you note.