Macy's Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions

Interviews at Macy's

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I do not live in Houston so I made a 3 and a half hour trip the day before. At 7pm I got a call saying they had to cancel my interview due to a visit from corporate. They rescheduled me for next week. Next week comes and the lady that rescheduled me had no idea who I was or why I was there. Another girl was told she was hired and then told they didn't have any open positions. My advice to Macy's is if you cheat someone out of an interview, at least have to curtesy to not waste their time. Especially an internal employee. A simple phone call would have helped. I live 3 and a half hours away and you don't pay me enough to afford that kind of gas money.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to apply for one of our seasonal positions?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Lithonia, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty basic. I was asked the basic strenghth and weakness questions, tell a time when i was put in a difficult situation, why this company? Then we got into the visual questions: Favorite trends, what inspires me creatively, etc.. Once the interview was over they told me someone will be giving me a call back to let me know if i got the job. A week later i got a call and they offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What is my favorite current trend?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Providence, RI).

Interview

When applying for job the position was said to be full time, only found out after I took a day off of work to interview that it was 18 hours max. The interviewer had no emotion, didn't talk to me at all just asked the questions she told me she didn't want to ask me and sat there like a robot. I was overqualified for the position. The interview process was horrific.

Interview Questions

• When was there a time in your life you saw another employee doing something wrong? What would you want your salary to be? Are you firm on that salary? Maybe the questions wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't tell me she didn't want to ask them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online, they emailed within a few hour to schedule an interview I guess because I was very available.
    Easy interview, pretty much talked about the job. Bring a portfolio if you have one and don`t forget to send a thank you note.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's in May 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant interview. Went through a list of general company questions, basically asking basic experience and skills. Then some detailed questions about this specific position. Was shown an example of some of the setups they are sent for VMs to organize and create in the store. Would be working in conjunction with merchandising team, and would then work with VM team members. There would be times working alone as well. I learned position hours, salary range, benefits and dress policy.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Interview

After submitting my application and resume online, within a few days received an email from their automated scheduling service asking me to schedule an interview. Days before the interview I received a confirmation from the same automated scheduling service with my day and time. The day of my interview I arrive early, and after asking a sales associate to help me track down one of their managers who were all scattered around the store, I finally sit down with someone and she cannot find my file in her computer. Upon her searching, she called another manager inquiring why she did not know of my interview, she's told that the position was filled yesterday and they just forgot to take it offline, forgot to notify me and did not tell the whole staff that the position was filled. Unprofessional and disorganized to say the least.

Interview Questions

• She asked me if I still wanted to interview even though the position was already filled. I declined   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I scheduled an interview for about a week after I was contacted for the job posting. I was worried that I would be interviewed for something else for less hours, but luckily I was interviewed by the visual merchandising manager. The conversation went well, but at the end she said that she was worried that I don't have more retail experience. The next day I was contacted that I didn't get the position. It seemed like a waste of time to call someone in if you are going to just reject them for not have 3+years of retail. I have plenty of installation experience as well as a BFA, which seemed ultimately more relevant to the positions' needs. It also seemed poorly thought out that the interviewer said that it's better to start in a suburb location, when its entirely impossible to do that when one already lives in the city.

Interview Questions

• Personal style, things seen around the store.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Elmhurst, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview was easy and basic. Visual Manager made me feel comfortable. He asked basic questions and took time to get to know me. I was asked about previous experience pertaining to the position I was interviewing for. I was asked why I wanted to work for macys and the position I was interviewing for. I was asked about my future goals and how I would achieve them

Interview Questions

• Did a Macys employee go out of their way to help me and if they did or did not to explain   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was easy. I was told what the pay range was and based on my experience what I would be offered. I was given a number and I asked for more within reason and it was accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Wilkes-Barre, PA) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied for associate job, was pulled in for visual as the job hadn't even been posted yet and they thought I was perfect for it. Interview was extremely quick and basic.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had to keep calling to check on the status of the job, it was a very long and dragged out process and waiting game.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Miami, FL) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview went well. It was pretty much standard questions about my experience and availability. I was a recent graduate with a Fashion Merchandise degree at the time, so the pay was low for the amount of work that it was expected out of me. Needless to say, I ended up taking the position and gaining experience.

Interview Questions

• If I was willing to deal with the amount of physical labor expected for the position?   1 Answer