Mad Science Instructor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.0

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mad Science (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Generic phone interview, then they schedule you for a "group" interview on site at their office with other applicants. Pretty relaxed process, they let you know if you're hired within a few days.

Interview Questions

• They mostly just ask about prior experiences with teaching and/or working with kids.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Mad Science

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mad Science (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was put in a room with other individuals to fill out forms. The person who was to be our future trainer told us about working there. We all were hired after an audition of sorts to demonstrate that we could teach.

A really laid back interview. No grilling of the candidates, simply telling them about the nature of working there and expectations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mad Science (Pennington, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

More casual and laid-back interview. Jeans are okay. Questions are related specifically to job you will be performing. Not for you if you are shy or don't like working with kids. It is a group interview, but you are not competing with each other, and will not be asked the EXACT same questions. You will also need to give a mini presentation at the end about the rules you will need to tell the kids, do it in a fun and enthusiastic way! The second interview is you doing a fake lesson, so that they can see you have fun doing it. (They don't expect you to be perfect.)

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a crying child?
      What is a fun fact about you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mad Science (Dallas, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Very simple process. Had a phone interview then received a call couple days later to come in for a group interview to showcase myself. After that, you get called in for group training! Super straightforward. Very friendly people. Just be yourself and show that you can work with children or love to and they will take you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach kids? Do you work well with kids? Present something you have taught before or would like to in a manner as if you were actually teaching. Honestly really easy questions. And their friendliness will take away any nervousness.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mad Science (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Was given a topic to present on, on the fly. Basically to give an example of how you would present to kids. This part was actually pretty fun

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions associated with teaching   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mad Science (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

They interviewed six of us together. We watched a short video about Mad Science, and then we each got asked the same 5-6 questions about why we wanted to work there and why we'd be qualified. At the end we all had to demonstrate how we would present Mad Science's "3 Favors" ("No talking, no touching, and have fun") to a group of students.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mad Science (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Went in for a group interview of about ten other applicants. Was a very casual and easy going atmosphere. The interviewer gave us a background about the company and positions available, and then we were asked to tell the group about ourselves and our experience working with children. We were then asked to do a short part of an experiment that was demonstrated earlier to see how enthusiastic and animated we were.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mad Science in January 2011.

Interview

Found the ad online. Emailed them my resume

Got an email to schedule an interview. Interview was standard and included a small demo where they had me recite the rules of the class as if I were actually teaching (personality test). They are basically looking for motivated people who enjoy working with kids.

Interview Questions

• How would you make a child feel involved if they were different from the rest of the group i.e. age, gender?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. The pay was all laid out on paper ahead of time.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Mad Science in December 2009.

Interview

I saw the ad on Craigslist and went to the Mad Science website to apply. I received a phone call pretty quickly and went in for a group interview. It was a group interview and though I dressed a bit classy, there were others who were hired that dressed causal nice. We watched a video about the company and then answered a few generic questions (Why us? Why you? Your good and bad points?) and also everyone was asked a fun question just to see our responses. My was, "If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?" but others included "If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?" and "What superhero ability would you like?" We also were given a worksheet and a Map to answer how we'd get from Point A to Point B. Lastly, there was a mock class, where each applicant had to get up and say the "Three Favors" as though we were teaching. They are looking for FUN, ENTHUSIASTIC people who enjoy (or at the least don't mind) working with children. Also, most of the applicants who attended the interview were hired, however, not many stayed (they are always hiring- turnover is very high). Work is very, very part time and you're expected to drive long distances (I've driven up to 100 round trip for a day). They WILL NOT hire you if you don't have your own car. You will also need to get fingerprinted and LiveScan done- which is partially refunded after a period of time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. I've been working here for two years and haven't received a raise.