Magento Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Field Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magento in April 2017.

Interview

Everyone I interacted with throughout the interview process was culture-oriented, transparent, and committed. Throughout the course of many interviews with a cross-functional and diverse group, I was impressed by how aligned everyone was on Magento's strategic objectives and priorities. The recruiting team was fantastic, always quick to respond and very helpful with scheduling. Overall, one of the best experiences I've had as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• How have you leveraged data to inform your marketing programs in the past?   Answer Question
    • What new ideas or changes were you able to drive in your current role and what were the outcomes?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Magento (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

A talent lead reached out to me on linked and asked if I was interested in chatting.

Scheduled for a 30 min interview - coordinated HR. Hiring manager confirmed date and time. No call and was told she was running late. Waited 30min so I offered to be rescheduled... no response or apology for wasting my time. Week has past and still followup. Simply unprofessional.

Magento Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback, I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. We are always looking for ways to improve candidates experience. Please feel free to reach me... More

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magento.

Interview

First round - Telephonic
    Second round - Technical ( 1 hour ) - virtual
    It has been more than four weeks and no response after following up . Could be more responsive when the candidate spent time on the interview .

Software Development Engineer In Test/Automation QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX).

Interview

Quick heads-up on the interview dynamics at this company:

- encouraged by the positive reviews here on Glassdoor, I said yes to the recruiter and had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was all positive and there were no concerns expressed by this manager. Imagine my surprise when they came back and said I was not good for an SDET role, but would I consider a developer role. Huh?? Doesn't make sense. If you are interviewing someone for a nurse position, and find them not good enough, would you consider them for a physician/doctor position? I said no.

- they come back again a week later saying they have a QA automation role and ask that I complete a test online. I did and did it well. Week after that, a technical phone interview is setup and the interviewer is pleased with my quick answers and we wind up in just under half hour.

- now it is time for the team lead phone interview. Went fantastic and wanted to bring me in.

- Finally, the in-person interview another week later. The team lead, and the team ask pointed questions on how to solve one or more of the problems they are having and extract ideas from you. Looking at my 9+ years experience, they ask how I would solve several specific issues they were having at work and fishing for info from me. This is totally unethical.

The in-person also includes a whiteboard coding session. No one points out anything incorrect and were happy with my answers.

They take 3 more days to get back and tell the recruiter I was not technically competent. Hmm...you find me good enough to be a developer and do not find a single mistake in code, and call me technically lacking? If you cannot give a straight answer, at least be creative. Tells me how competent this group is.

Not sure how it is with other teams/locations at this company, but overall beware. I have been wary of most reviews here and this confirms it.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that lists all files in a directory as well as its sub-directories. Assume you already have a method that
      can list everything in one directory and another method that tells you whether a path is a directory or a file.   Answer Question
    • What's the reason behind bellow given Selenium WebDriver exception and how will you resolve It?
      "Exception in thread "main" org.openqa.selenium.NoSuchElementException: Unable to locate element"   Answer Question
    • A dynamically changing html page contains the following contents, how to locate the input field for the 2nd line item?
       Question 5
      2x
       2x
      <div id=“line-items”>
          <div class="t-forminjector tapestry-forminjector" id="rowInjector_13b87fdd8b6">
              <input id="number_13b87fdd8b6" name="number_13b87fdd8b7" type="text"/>
              <a id="removerowlink_13b87fdd8b6" href="#" name="removerowlink_13b87fdd8b6">remove</a>
          </div>
          <div class="t-forminjector tapestry-forminjector" id="rowInjector_13b87fdda70" style="background-image: none;
      background-color: rgb(255, 255, 251);">
              <input id="number_13b87fdda70" name="number_13b87fdda70" type="text" />
              <a id="removerowlink_13b87fdda70" href="#" name="removerowlink_13b87fdda70">remove</a>
          </div>
      </div>   Answer Question
    • Using a programming language of your choice, write a program to find broken images in a page using Selenium Web Driver.   Answer Question
    • Create 20 test cases for a 2-digit field with a submit button.   Answer Question

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

A negative interview experience.

1. The 1st round started with an interview with two managers, one reporting to the other. The lower level manager was physically absent, and was attending from his local home via Skype. The Skype session kept freezing repeatedly, and was worthless. I had no idea what he was trying to tell me, or ask me. I also don't know why a manager who I would potentially report to would not be physically present at an interview that he himself had requested.

The higher level manger physically present appeared to be generally disgruntled. Not sure if at me or in general, but the tone of his voice and his style of interrupting me while I was talking was unprofessional and irritating, in my view. He would ask me a question, then interrupt my answer to ask me a completely different question. He also asked me confidential information about my current employer, which I did not answer (and never answer) due to the NDA I have in place with my current employer. This response seemed to irritate him more. I knew immediately that this was a red flag - I would not feel comfortable with this sort of middle management. But, I decided to continue with the interview, since I was already there, in my Sunday suit.

2. The 2nd round was an interview with a developer. His focus apparently was to test my software development skills, for the non-development job that I was applying for. In my extensive experience, it is typical for developers to ask development questions when interviewing QA candidates, because that's their background and that's all they know. Developers therefore need to be trained on how to not turn a QA interview into a developer interview. This developer had no such training.

3. The 3rd and last round consisted of a 3-panel team, where each team member represented a different department within the business unit. This interview was probably the oddest interaction I've ever encountered during an interview, anywhere. Odd and obnoxious behavior from a potential peer, who apparently took issue with my professionally written resume, as well as with how the the HR-written job description was written. He was neither a Tech Writer nor an Editor for the company, he worked in development. He was off-topic, untrained, and unfocused on the intent of the interview.

This individual had a highlighted version of my resume and the job description in front of him, and and he verbally walked through about two dozen of what he perceived to be "errors", such as test tools that were written in lower case when he thought they should be in upper case, and when more than more than one space appeared between words - such as when using center justification in Word. He flagged these as "errors", as if this was the intent and purpose of the the interview. No interview questions for this entire interview round, how incredibly odd.

I finally suggested to him that, for the purpose of this interview, we focus on the "content" of my resume, instead of the "formatting" of either my resume or the job description. Too late - that round was over.

4. After the interview ended, all 3 just got up and left, as if it was acceptable to leave me in the conference room alone, knowing that I wasn't meeting with anyone else. They knew that I wasn't meeting with anyone else because we discussed that a moment earlier. There's nothing like a stranger navigating his way out of an office, wearing a security badge that was obtained from the Lobby....

After this negative interview, there was absolutely no way that I would have ever considered working there, but I wanted to receive an offer, just so I could turn it down. No such luck. I received a generic canned email 3 days later, to wit: "We have chosen another candidate".

This company is a joke, the management is unprofessional, and the worker bee employees are strange. Don't ignore the red flags, folks.

Senior Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

This interview stopped at the initial phone screen. The interviewer asked for a brief history of work experience, and launched into the traditional 'write me a function of xyz' questions. The interviewer requested I use no internet resource, and no resources that were already on my computer. This immediately indicated me that their hiring process is unrealistic, as it undermines the essential notion of access to information that we all have as engineers. I tolerated the interviewer through the first exercise, and by the second exercise I stopped him to let him know this probably wouldn't be a good fit if they are just looking for someone who has PHP functions memorized, but it would if they're looking for someone who can translate business requirements to technical specifications, build scalable applications, and strategically think through best-in-practice approaches. The interviewer agreed and we concluded the interview immediately. I was thankful that only took 20 minutes -- I'm definitely not interested in a company who determines an initial technical interview for a senior level position by your ability to memorize PHP functions.

Interview Questions

• Please write a function that does [insert xyz computer science request]...   Answer Question

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magento (Campbell, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I have applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later, followed by a phone screening. After the screening, I was scheduled to speak over the phone with the hiring manager and other key members of the team. This was followed by an in-person interview at their Campbell office. The whole process was a bit slow because it was a busy time for Magento, but I tried to keep in touch over email.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some general questions about why I am interested in working for Magento, what was my previous experience, what ideas can I bring to this role. There were no technical questions, but I brought my portfolio with me to show/prove what I have done in the past.   1 Answer

Incident Response Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job online, immediately contacted by recruiter who had already spoken to the hiring manager. Scheduled a phone screen, immediately followed by on-site. Constant communication throughout the entire process including letting me know of potential delays (there weren't any unreasonable delays) and anticipated milestones.

Very functional process. Much more functional than the average interview process.

Things I liked:
    * constant communication with recruiter
    * interview involved real world problems
    * immediate feedback
    * interview with actual team members

Solutions Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

HR recruiter/s was very disorganized and did not communicate well. Worse interview process in my life. Spent a month and half trying to organize interviews with the company and the recruiters didn't respond in a timely manner to confirm interview dates and times. At one point in the the interviewing process a second recruiter informed me the position was filled and then randomly contacted me back a week and half later asking for more interviews with me. Also, interviewer forgot about a third interview and wasted my time...Recruiters were clueless and disorganized mess.

Interview Questions

• Describe system management and example of how you would handle.   1 Answer

Magento Response

Jun 7, 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

I am so sorry you did not have a positive experience and would welcome an opportunity to learn more please feel free to contact me directly tguyer@magento.com

Head of Global Content Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Magento (Culver City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was thorough and keenly focused on the alignment of the position to my individual career goals. It was a mutually beneficial conversation that enthused and motivated me to join the team.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my experience managing organizational change.   Answer Question