Magento Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2018

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Field Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magento in April 2017.

Interview

Everyone I interacted with throughout the interview process was culture-oriented, transparent, and committed. Throughout the course of many interviews with a cross-functional and diverse group, I was impressed by how aligned everyone was on Magento's strategic objectives and priorities. The recruiting team was fantastic, always quick to respond and very helpful with scheduling. Overall, one of the best experiences I've had as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• How have you leveraged data to inform your marketing programs in the past?   Answer Question
    • What new ideas or changes were you able to drive in your current role and what were the outcomes?   Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX).

Interview

Initially HR was little confused but after introductory call, telephonic interview and finally in site interview with 5 different members of Magento. Everyone was courteous and answered my questions. But i feel I was little nervous in one of the technical interviews and also there my mismatch in the skill sets which they should have normally figured in the phone interview. Anyway honestly speaking i liked people and office. Good luck to them.

Interview Questions

• They asked me some technical terms which i was not aware off   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Magento in March 2018.

Interview

So it's not a crazy hiring process or anything, only thing that was strange was that more than one title was mentioned between the two recruiters that contacted me. That was settled fairly fast.
    There was a question portion of the interview process followed by an in-person interview.
    The in-person interview had culture questions, whiteboarding, a programming exercise, and a one-on-one interview with the hiring manager.

The process did take an extended period of time. Time between on-site interview and offer was over a month.

Interview Questions

• Given the following development environment write an *insert type of simple input/output application* in x amount of time. Please use as many OOP concepts as possible.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, it wasn't heavy-handed in either direction.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Was invited to the intern day for an onsite interview. All candidates are interviewed on the same date and recruiter told us we could get the decision at the end of that day. However, I waited for several days and no response at all. I asked one recruiter and was told that they had decided not to move forward with me. There is no reimbursement for your hotel or transportation. It looks like they only hire students from UT.

Interview Questions

• Regular behavioral questions, very easy technical questions.   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

Brief. Took two weeks in total. Had a call with the recruiter and the hiring manager and then onsite interviews. Call was mostly about the background and what is the reason for moving to a new company.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you will bypass authentication in a login form?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Magento (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Sourcer sent me one of those mass messages on Linkedin. 30 minute phone call with him where he had a handful of questions that he asks everyone. I then spoke very briefly with the in house recruiter who was very nice and answered my questions but didn't really have any questions for me. Their assistant scheduled the following interview with the Director of Customer Success. Interview was rescheduled twice. When we spoke on the phone he was driving after having just finished a meeting. I got the impression he had not looked at my resume prior to the call and was clearly not looking at my resume since he was driving. He asked me what I know about Magento, explained in fair detail the role they have open and then asked me to explain how my background is relevant to the role they have open. Ultimately, he told me he didn't think I was a good fit as I wasn't "entrepreneurial" and they need someone who can work with very limited resources. Overall, it was not a bad experience but it wasn't a good one. Just as companies expect me to learn about them before the interview, I expect the same courtesy in return. I do like that when I told him I get the impression he doesn't think I'm a good fit he was candid in his response. I can respect that. I think he's just very busy and for whatever reason, isn't allowing his managers to do the initial interviews.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Magento (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

A talent lead reached out to me on linked and asked if I was interested in chatting.

Scheduled for a 30 min interview - coordinated HR. Hiring manager confirmed date and time. No call and was told she was running late. Waited 30min so I offered to be rescheduled... no response or apology for wasting my time. Week has past and still followup. Simply unprofessional.

Magento Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback, I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. We are always looking for ways to improve candidates experience. Please feel free to reach me... More

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magento.

Interview

First round - Telephonic
    Second round - Technical ( 1 hour ) - virtual
    It has been more than four weeks and no response after following up . Could be more responsive when the candidate spent time on the interview .

Software Development Engineer In Test/Automation QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX).

Interview

Quick heads-up on the interview dynamics at this company:

- encouraged by the positive reviews here on Glassdoor, I said yes to the recruiter and had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was all positive and there were no concerns expressed by this manager. Imagine my surprise when they came back and said I was not good for an SDET role, but would I consider a developer role. Huh?? Doesn't make sense. If you are interviewing someone for a nurse position, and find them not good enough, would you consider them for a physician/doctor position? I said no.

- they come back again a week later saying they have a QA automation role and ask that I complete a test online. I did and did it well. Week after that, a technical phone interview is setup and the interviewer is pleased with my quick answers and we wind up in just under half hour.

- now it is time for the team lead phone interview. Went fantastic and wanted to bring me in.

- Finally, the in-person interview another week later. The team lead, and the team ask pointed questions on how to solve one or more of the problems they are having and extract ideas from you. Looking at my 9+ years experience, they ask how I would solve several specific issues they were having at work and fishing for info from me. This is totally unethical.

The in-person also includes a whiteboard coding session. No one points out anything incorrect and were happy with my answers.

They take 3 more days to get back and tell the recruiter I was not technically competent. Hmm...you find me good enough to be a developer and do not find a single mistake in code, and call me technically lacking? If you cannot give a straight answer, at least be creative. Tells me how competent this group is.

Not sure how it is with other teams/locations at this company, but overall beware. I have been wary of most reviews here and this confirms it.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that lists all files in a directory as well as its sub-directories. Assume you already have a method that
      can list everything in one directory and another method that tells you whether a path is a directory or a file.   Answer Question
    • What's the reason behind bellow given Selenium WebDriver exception and how will you resolve It?
      "Exception in thread "main" org.openqa.selenium.NoSuchElementException: Unable to locate element"   1 Answer
    • A dynamically changing html page contains the following contents, how to locate the input field for the 2nd line item?
       Question 5
      2x
       2x
      <div id=“line-items”>
          <div class="t-forminjector tapestry-forminjector" id="rowInjector_13b87fdd8b6">
              <input id="number_13b87fdd8b6" name="number_13b87fdd8b7" type="text"/>
              <a id="removerowlink_13b87fdd8b6" href="#" name="removerowlink_13b87fdd8b6">remove</a>
          </div>
          <div class="t-forminjector tapestry-forminjector" id="rowInjector_13b87fdda70" style="background-image: none;
      background-color: rgb(255, 255, 251);">
              <input id="number_13b87fdda70" name="number_13b87fdda70" type="text" />
              <a id="removerowlink_13b87fdda70" href="#" name="removerowlink_13b87fdda70">remove</a>
          </div>
      </div>   1 Answer
    • Using a programming language of your choice, write a program to find broken images in a page using Selenium Web Driver.   Answer Question
    • Create 20 test cases for a 2-digit field with a submit button.   Answer Question

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

A negative interview experience.

1. The 1st round started with an interview with two managers, one reporting to the other. The lower level manager was physically absent, and was attending from his local home via Skype. The Skype session kept freezing repeatedly, and was worthless. I had no idea what he was trying to tell me, or ask me. I also don't know why a manager who I would potentially report to would not be physically present at an interview that he himself had requested.

The higher level manger physically present appeared to be generally disgruntled. Not sure if at me or in general, but the tone of his voice and his style of interrupting me while I was talking was unprofessional and irritating, in my view. He would ask me a question, then interrupt my answer to ask me a completely different question. He also asked me confidential information about my current employer, which I did not answer (and never answer) due to the NDA I have in place with my current employer. This response seemed to irritate him more. I knew immediately that this was a red flag - I would not feel comfortable with this sort of middle management. But, I decided to continue with the interview, since I was already there, in my Sunday suit.

2. The 2nd round was an interview with a developer. His focus apparently was to test my software development skills, for the non-development job that I was applying for. In my extensive experience, it is typical for developers to ask development questions when interviewing QA candidates, because that's their background and that's all they know. Developers therefore need to be trained on how to not turn a QA interview into a developer interview. This developer had no such training.

3. The 3rd and last round consisted of a 3-panel team, where each team member represented a different department within the business unit. This interview was probably the oddest interaction I've ever encountered during an interview, anywhere. Odd and obnoxious behavior from a potential peer, who apparently took issue with my professionally written resume, as well as with how the the HR-written job description was written. He was neither a Tech Writer nor an Editor for the company, he worked in development. He was off-topic, untrained, and unfocused on the intent of the interview.

This individual had a highlighted version of my resume and the job description in front of him, and and he verbally walked through about two dozen of what he perceived to be "errors", such as test tools that were written in lower case when he thought they should be in upper case, and when more than more than one space appeared between words - such as when using center justification in Word. He flagged these as "errors", as if this was the intent and purpose of the the interview. No interview questions for this entire interview round, how incredibly odd.

I finally suggested to him that, for the purpose of this interview, we focus on the "content" of my resume, instead of the "formatting" of either my resume or the job description. Too late - that round was over.

4. After the interview ended, all 3 just got up and left, as if it was acceptable to leave me in the conference room alone, knowing that I wasn't meeting with anyone else. They knew that I wasn't meeting with anyone else because we discussed that a moment earlier. There's nothing like a stranger navigating his way out of an office, wearing a security badge that was obtained from the Lobby....

After this negative interview, there was absolutely no way that I would have ever considered working there, but I wanted to receive an offer, just so I could turn it down. No such luck. I received a generic canned email 3 days later, to wit: "We have chosen another candidate".

This company is a joke, the management is unprofessional, and the worker bee employees are strange. Don't ignore the red flags, folks.

Senior Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Magento (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

This interview stopped at the initial phone screen. The interviewer asked for a brief history of work experience, and launched into the traditional 'write me a function of xyz' questions. The interviewer requested I use no internet resource, and no resources that were already on my computer. This immediately indicated me that their hiring process is unrealistic, as it undermines the essential notion of access to information that we all have as engineers. I tolerated the interviewer through the first exercise, and by the second exercise I stopped him to let him know this probably wouldn't be a good fit if they are just looking for someone who has PHP functions memorized, but it would if they're looking for someone who can translate business requirements to technical specifications, build scalable applications, and strategically think through best-in-practice approaches. The interviewer agreed and we concluded the interview immediately. I was thankful that only took 20 minutes -- I'm definitely not interested in a company who determines an initial technical interview for a senior level position by your ability to memorize PHP functions.

Interview Questions

• Please write a function that does [insert xyz computer science request]...   Answer Question