Magic Leap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Materials Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Miami, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

two google hangout technical interviews after I applied for this position one month ago. Each interview takes half an hour. I got the rejection letter on the same day of the second interview.

Interview Questions

• They talk about their daily work a lot. After that they ask about your background.   1 Answer

HRBP Interview

Interview

After submitting my resume, I received a call about a month later. The person who called wanted to know if I was still available, verified that my resume was current, and asked when I could be available for a telephone screening. I was never contacted after the initial call and consider the HR Department to be poorly run. I am glad not to be a part of such a department because I doubt I would be given the opportunity to improve anything.

Interview Questions

• If I was still available if offered a position.   1 Answer

Senior Interactive Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

30 minute phone screen with the recruiter, followed by three 1:1 interviews with hiring managers and peers. We were cleared for onsite interviews, but the recruiter completely dropped off while we were working out travel details. Ultimately, I'm glad it didn't work out.

At first, things seemed positive. The interviewers were very friendly, professional, and intellectually stimulating. They represented the company well. However, as the process continued, I started to get a sense for how disorganized the company was. In general, my interactions with the recruiters were sub-par at best. I was passed off to a different recruiter twice. Reply times were slow and sporadic; communication was unclear.

When we decided to move forward with onsite interviews, the recruiter requested my details for travel, and after I sent it over, I never heard back from them. I emailed them twice, and after a month went by with no follow-up, I assumed something had changed. I'm not sure if something went wrong with my candidacy or if I fell through the cracks, but either way, this was a big enough red flag for me to never consider Magic Leap as an employer. I understand that they're scaling quickly and I assume that had something to do with this. It doesn't change the fact that they're operating in an unimpressive way.

Beyond this, I was honestly surprised that Magic Leap would conduct onsite interviews before ever attempting to evaluate my skills. The team had only reviewed my portfolio and conducted remote interviews with me where we discussed some of what I had done and what I wanted to do in the future. Those discussions were great, but they did little in terms of measuring my actual abilities. Any time that a company makes hiring decisions without a proper work assessment, they demonstrate a misalignment in priorities and open themselves up to poor hiring decisions (often based on the biases of the hiring manager).

Following this, I accepted a role at Google, and the hiring process couldn't have been more different from that of Magic Leap. I'm glad they dropped off.

Senior Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dania, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Dania, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It went well. Got scheduled for an on site interview right away.
    On site interview: All day, 12 people. Representing many different groups. Got confused on what position I was interviewed for.
    Got a demo of the product. AWESOME!
    Got told that they were interested.
    Still waiting.

Interview Questions

• Questions were similar from one interviewer to the another on generic management skills.
      It would have been better if all 12 people sat in a conference room with me. I felt like I was repeating the same story over and over.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Plantation, FL).

Interview

Couple of hangout screenings (technical and general)
    Recruiter was good and followed up periodically
    About 5 technical interviews on site, mostly on what was on my resume and my background.

Overall neutral experience, very nice people.

It was really hard to get good information about the current state of the project - the reverse pitch (why I should work for magic leap) was non-existent.

Base pay is good for Florida, but there are no new stocks(options or RSUs) given annually - this makes the overall offer not as great as it looks at first sight.

I regularly follow the analysis on different AR/VR tech and related challenges on kguttag.com. Even after signing the NDA they didn't shared(or showed) anything to make me believe in their vision or the product. I pretty badly wanted to see or hear something that would blow my mind(while also convincing me that it is real) and then I wanted to work for them but didn't happen :(

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process started fairly well - I was referred internally and a phone screen was set up over hangout. It went well and I was able to come onsite the following week.

The onsite focused on my previous experiences and cultural fit, and was fairly easy, with few technical questions. The next day I was asked to come onsite for a follow up interview. I accepted politely and came back.

A few days later, the recruiter left me a voicemail that said I passed the interview and an offer letter was being prepared. Three months later and still no offer in hands. Each time I have talked to the recruiter, someone else needed to approve the offer before it could be given to me.

I have lost faith in the company and I am disappointed at how unprofessionally they communicated with me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Miami, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

The process was pretty typical-- a basic phone screen, followed by Google hang-out calls, then an on-site interview day. At least one of those video calls was a "code test" where an engineer sent some code and you had to modify the code and tell what parts did. During that interview two descriptions were sent, a code had to be written to match the requirements. Is was basic string manipulations, so not too hard from a coding perspective, but the interviewer would watch and ask questions as you talked through your process.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths/weaknesses? Tell me about a time you had to work with a team. How would you change this code snippet? Why are you interested in working here?   Answer Question

Decided that relocating didn't make sense for me.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

Bad experience.

2+ months, fraught with poor communication. Recruiter would schedule calls, miss them, then not respond for days or weeks. Hiring manager said, "We can probably decide in a week or two" but that wasn’t the case. I lost other job offers while waiting.

There were video chats. Then a couple weeks and another video chat. No one seemed to know the next step. After two weeks of silence I asked, “Am I still in the running?”

They invited me to Florida for a half-day of onsite interviews with the same people. The technical bar seemed pretty low. I was asked one coding problem on the phone, and none in person.

They screwed up my flight. I was left standing at the airport with no ticket, and unable to get HR on the phone. I had to talk my way onto a plane at the last minute, and then bill Magic Leap.

HR said the interviews went well. The guys I spoke with seemed eager to move forward. The recruiter promised a decision within 48 hours.

After two and half more weeks, HR said, "They really liked you, but the offer would be 50% less than you're making, so we won't proceed. And the stock options aren’t enough to matter. Really, I’m sorry to deliver this message.”

This was a big shock, and a screw-up on their part. There should never be a disconnect that big, after months of interviews, meeting the VP, and discussing relocation packages.

But it was my dream job. I said, “I just need to afford housing. Make it a 25% pay cut and I'll do it.” HR said, "That's great! Thank you for seeing our vision. I think they'll be really excited to get you."

Instead, I got a one-line brush off email.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to explain the architecture of a project I worked on.
      Was asked to explain how rendering works on modern GPUs.   1 Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

The recruiter initiated the communication soon after my online application. First round was a phone interview with the recruiter (check you resume, availability, immigration status). Second round is a 1-hr google hang-out with the team manager (A lot of technical questions related to my resume). Third round is another 1-hr hang-out with the other team manager (some technical questions; gave me a long introduction of the company's culture). After a couple of weeks, I received an on-site interview invitation. The on-site interview had a tight schedule but was pleasant. Non-stop interviews (30 min to 1 hr each) with engineers, managers, team leaders, HRs, and future teammates. You will be exhausted but I did try the demo. So I really enjoyed it.

I think that all the engineers in Magic Leap are very nice. But the entire company seems to be lack of integrity, because I received contradictory information from different groups. I saw a lot of complaints online, so I asked many questions about the company's future strategies and milestones. But the answers were not satisfactory. I also asked the turn-over rate. But the HR tried to hypnotize me and gave me irrelevant answers. Another warning sign was that all the team members in the group was new (6 months or so). The senior members I saw are either from India or China (perhaps stuck with their H1B visa). I talked with a couple of my friends who interviewed there before. They gave me the similar feedback. Several months have passed, the position I applied is still open. They must have a very hard time to find good candidates.

The interview process was smooth and easy. But I don't like the way the company operates. Some believe that it is going to grow big, this is just the pain of growth; others believe that it will fall big and badly. I tend to agree with the latter, so I declined the offer.

Good Luck! Magic Leap! I really wish you the best. I like your technology and hope it will work out fine.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Plantation, FL) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process was seamless and efficient. At every point in the process I was clear on where things stood as well as next steps. The recruiter that I worked with was very responsive and flexible in scheduling.

The recruiting team did an excellent job providing insight into the culture of the company. Which factored very positively into my decision to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Challenging and specific to the responsibilities of the role.   Answer Question