Magic Leap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Magic Leap

2.9

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Miami, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

The process was pretty typical-- a basic phone screen, followed by Google hang-out calls, then an on-site interview day. At least one of those video calls was a "code test" where an engineer sent some code and you had to modify the code and tell what parts did. During that interview two descriptions were sent, a code had to be written to match the requirements. Is was basic string manipulations, so not too hard from a coding perspective, but the interviewer would watch and ask questions as you talked through your process.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths/weaknesses? Tell me about a time you had to work with a team. How would you change this code snippet? Why are you interested in working here?   Answer Question

Decided that relocating didn't make sense for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Plantation, FL) in November 2018.

Interview

There were two Google hangouts. Both were with Python. I was rejected after the 2nd one saying I need more experience with python. I could get the answers and explained the answers for the questions (got the code for the answer within a short time), so a bit puzzled with that. Also The 2nd interview experience was not great .. too much noise in the background while I was asked to explain or hear the question. Good thing, the interviewers were pretty smart and seems a company with pretty smart people

Interview Questions

• 1st was an Object-oriented sys design. 2nd was a Parsing question   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

Bad experience.

2+ months, fraught with poor communication. Recruiter would schedule calls, miss them, then not respond for days or weeks. Hiring manager said, "We can probably decide in a week or two" but that wasn’t the case. I lost other job offers while waiting.

There were video chats. Then a couple weeks and another video chat. No one seemed to know the next step. After two weeks of silence I asked, “Am I still in the running?”

They invited me to Florida for a half-day of onsite interviews with the same people. The technical bar seemed pretty low. I was asked one coding problem on the phone, and none in person.

They screwed up my flight. I was left standing at the airport with no ticket, and unable to get HR on the phone. I had to talk my way onto a plane at the last minute, and then bill Magic Leap.

HR said the interviews went well. The guys I spoke with seemed eager to move forward. The recruiter promised a decision within 48 hours.

After two and half more weeks, HR said, "They really liked you, but the offer would be 50% less than you're making, so we won't proceed. And the stock options aren’t enough to matter. Really, I’m sorry to deliver this message.”

This was a big shock, and a screw-up on their part. There should never be a disconnect that big, after months of interviews, meeting the VP, and discussing relocation packages.

But it was my dream job. I said, “I just need to afford housing. Make it a 25% pay cut and I'll do it.” HR said, "That's great! Thank you for seeing our vision. I think they'll be really excited to get you."

Instead, I got a one-line brush off email.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to explain the architecture of a project I worked on.
      Was asked to explain how rendering works on modern GPUs.   1 Answer

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Miami, FL).

Interview

I’m so sorry that such a great company with talented employees has such an unprofessional HR. I experienced worse HR on the earth. They never get back to you. They never answer the emails and they are worst in scheduling the interviews and transferring correct information to you.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

The recruiter initiated the communication soon after my online application. First round was a phone interview with the recruiter (check you resume, availability, immigration status). Second round is a 1-hr google hang-out with the team manager (A lot of technical questions related to my resume). Third round is another 1-hr hang-out with the other team manager (some technical questions; gave me a long introduction of the company's culture). After a couple of weeks, I received an on-site interview invitation. The on-site interview had a tight schedule but was pleasant. Non-stop interviews (30 min to 1 hr each) with engineers, managers, team leaders, HRs, and future teammates. You will be exhausted but I did try the demo. So I really enjoyed it.

I think that all the engineers in Magic Leap are very nice. But the entire company seems to be lack of integrity, because I received contradictory information from different groups. I saw a lot of complaints online, so I asked many questions about the company's future strategies and milestones. But the answers were not satisfactory. I also asked the turn-over rate. But the HR tried to hypnotize me and gave me irrelevant answers. Another warning sign was that all the team members in the group was new (6 months or so). The senior members I saw are either from India or China (perhaps stuck with their H1B visa). I talked with a couple of my friends who interviewed there before. They gave me the similar feedback. Several months have passed, the position I applied is still open. They must have a very hard time to find good candidates.

The interview process was smooth and easy. But I don't like the way the company operates. Some believe that it is going to grow big, this is just the pain of growth; others believe that it will fall big and badly. I tend to agree with the latter, so I declined the offer.

Good Luck! Magic Leap! I really wish you the best. I like your technology and hope it will work out fine.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Plantation, FL) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process was seamless and efficient. At every point in the process I was clear on where things stood as well as next steps. The recruiter that I worked with was very responsive and flexible in scheduling.

The recruiting team did an excellent job providing insight into the culture of the company. Which factored very positively into my decision to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Challenging and specific to the responsibilities of the role.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

Easy but lots of people in the interview process. You have 2 phone interviews and then 5 in-person interviews. Some of the interviewers did not have any clue how to interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I had a couple interviews, first was with recruiter, then a phone interview for about an hour with one of their engineer leads. After that interview they sent me a coding problem which I had 3 hours to complete. After that I was flown out onsite to the california office.

Interview Questions

• Write a binary search.   1 Answer
    • Memory optimization for storing an image   1 Answer
    • Syncing keyframes with 10us latency max between two cameras. One running at 100fps one at 60fps.   1 Answer
    • Design a database for a school system.   1 Answer
    • Asked how I would store and aggregate log data from various test as well as validate the data is legit.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dania, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Dania, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Recruiter review, then be ready to deal with the first line of the hiring manager(s) interviewing stage (after signing a NDA before been offered a position!). The first person is key because if it's a miss that's the end of the process for you. Hopefully this person is technically qualified than you and got hired via his/her credentials instead of networking (becoming rare in this industry). If you have gotten this far in the process it's more a personality fit than a technical know how - and most qualified candidates (sadly) lose this battle due to my second to last point, hence good luck!

Interview Questions

• Straight forward questions. Too many to list. But generally past experience, go through your resume bullets, specific scenarios of technical problems to solve (collection and parsing of data, statistical tools used, automation) and future goals etc....   2 Answers

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dania, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Dania, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

With the initial on-site interview I was planning on interviewing for an hour but was there for four hours which was a good sign. I was expecting and preparing for the negative types of personalities you would expect to see in some of the Silicon Valley types of environments but I received the opposite. Everyone I met with was very professional, down to earth and humbled which was a pleasant surprise. Cheryl was very upfront and straight forward about everything which I appreciated. I felt like she would be a great mentor and someone I would enjoy working with. Clark and Anat were polished and very helpful with what to expect in the role. Mauricio is an extremely intellectual and intelligent guy who you tent to naturally gravitate towards. You can tell that he embraces a lot of self-discipline to get where he is. Ultimately I lacked experience in recruiting in the IT vertical and I wasn't the perfect fit. There were no negative experiences on my end and in my professional opinion I would recommend their interview process and working here.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions about past experience and situational questions.   Answer Question