Magic Leap Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 163 of over 163 interviews

Sales Engineer

180 Comments

Join the conversation on

Magic Leap

Application

I interviewed at Magic Leap

Interview

HR talk, introduce the company, one video screening with technical knowledge and coding question, one online assessment with harderrack, then another video screening talking about machine learning, then onsite

Interview Questions
  • epipolar geometry and machine learning optimization based on resume
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Manchester, NH) in Jan 2019

Interview

The most frustrating, time wasting thing I have ever done. I am a highly experienced and successful game industry executive and engineer with 30 years in the industry in various capacities.. I have led Three startups to ship a total of 5 game products successfully and on time. One of them was the fastest growing game on Facebook. I am also a successful college professor havign taught game development for 5 years, 3 of those full time at Worceser Polytechnic Institute. One of the few nice things about academia is that they give you a lot of lead time if a position is ending. So, back in January I sent in my resume on a dev position they had open. The manager I interviewed with and I got along famously, but I was really much too senior for what he needed. He sent me back to HR with a positive "lets find a place for this guy" report . My initial recruiter was responsive and professional, and told me he'd look internally but I should let him know if I saw anything that clicked on the website. He set me up in an interview with someone in their tool and tech group that went mediocre. We had trouble getting it scheduled and when it finally was the interviewer seemed to me to not be overly interested in interviewing. After that came back, I noticed that they were looking for someone in their developer support group to do tech evangelism type stuff, which I had done previously very successfully at Total Entertainment Network and Sun Microsystems, so I pointed him at that and I got sent by him to the guy who was recruiting for studio and marketing. I had trouble making contact with him but after repeated calls and emails, with a final one copied to the original recruiter, he got back to me and apologized for being slammed running up to GDC. I told him it was no problem, thanked him for connecting, and told him Id leave him alone until after GDC. He in turn promised to contact me the Monday after GDC. The Wed after GDC when I still hadn't heard anything I started pestering him and leving voice mails. I finally got an answer from him that Friday. We briefly talked about my background and that I could fit either in studio or marketing, but agreed to look at the marketing side. Then things went opaque again. I started prodding a few times a week and finally got back that again, they considered me too senior for the positions that they had open. I said "great, then hand me off to someone who does exec level" and received a neutral response. It then went into a period of opacity where I would hear nothing for weeks unless I pestered them and then got pleasantly neutral responses. Finally, about a month ago, after I had given up on them, he calls me and says "We just opened a Director position I've been waiting for. You are the only one on deck for it. We're setting up the VP level interviews now." It goes 2 weeks and I hear nothing. I finally ask "whats he status here" and I get a the answer "Oh they redefined the position and you wouldn't be happy with it." (Which sounds an awful lot like "its not you, its me" in a breakup"). Meanwhile I had been approached by another major technical institute about a faculty position. When that got past campus visit interview level (typically the last stage before an offer) I finally wrote them and said "the school says they will be in touch in 2 weeks, I may be able to stall them 2 weeks past that, but that's it. Here are the 3 positions you currently have open that I could excel at." One of them was that Director of Studio Technology position, the listing of which practically looks like it was written for me. They respond with "oh, they rejected you for that because they want someone with 7 years shipping games." I kinda exploded because there is 25 years shipping games on my resume including leading the development of 4 as CTO and doing coding on games such as Duke Nukem3D and GEX. I wrote my original recruiter and pretty much said straight out, "This guy either doesn't know how to represent me, or is lying to me." He took offense. We agreed to end the process. They wasted 4 months of my time. I now have about 3 weeks to find something or have my income interrupted. All in all it feels like I just got out of a manipulative and abusive relationship. And thats the whole sordid story.

6 people found this interview helpful

Magic Leap

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Magic Leap in Jan 2019

Interview

They can't get their act together so you have to sit through individual Hangouts with an entire team over a number of weeks, if not months. HR low-balls you from the get-go and tries to sell you on their benefits: "We have X amount in mind for this role BUT PLEASE CONSIDER OUR GREAT BENEFITS." As if there aren't startups out there with an eight of their valuation offering better benefits AND base. The individuals I interviewed with made it clear that there is no path for growth at the company and that mostly they hire from outside. Tough pill to swallow if you move out to Plantation FL for a gig at this "unicorn." They also did not answer truthfully when asked if someone had held the role I was interviewing for before (the person who is no longer with the company has not updated their LinkedIn...ah, the magic of the internet). They simply pretended it was a brand new role. Everyone I had a Hangout with looked, at the very least, overworked and unhappy. Unkempt is another adequate descriptor. Only one dude was friendly, which I might venture to guess is because he doesn't have to deal with the rampant sexism at HQ that other reviews and people on the internet have mentioned. The light is literally gone from these people's eyes. Last but not least, the people at the top of the organization with whom I spoke appeared annoyed when I mentioned having career goals and aspirations of any kind. I received a rejection email from a bot with no opportunity for feedback. Overall, this place appears to me to be so far gone from being an exciting start-up, and so far away from being a stellar company to work for, that if you receive an interview request you are better off deleting it from your inbox entirely and focusing on better options. Do not waste your time with a company that won't invest in your growth. A small word to HR/People Operations: Stop conning your poor employees into leaving positive reviews on Glassdoor. They've even called you out on this platform. The discontent is REAL.

Interview Questions
  • Why Magic Leap? What is your experience with AR/XR? What is your working style?
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Sunnyvale, CA) in Jan 2019

Interview

The phone screen ask about past experience and related projects. The manager introduced the company and what they are currently doing. Then there are some questions about case studies about real-time reconstruction and recognition stuff. After a week, the HR quickly responded with an onsite invitation. The onsite is composed of five rounds, first a representation for previous works. Then some coding+research questions, probably 50/50, are asked by different reviewers. Most of them have Ph.D. degree.

Interview Questions
  • The coding questions are quite simple. Research questions are about multi-view geometry, such as fundamental/essential matrix and deep learning basics (resnet, loss function, kernel size, pooling, dropout, batch norm, etc.). Generally the questions are not so difficult.
3 people found this interview helpful

Magic Leap

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap in Jan 2019

Interview

Three phone interviews, then you are invited on site. Right before the on-site I was told the position was frozen, but saw it posted at a lower level a month later. Company was having major issues in moving from a start up r&d environment to a successful commercial operation. They were honest about it though.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Magic Leap

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap in Jan 2019

Interview

Applied online on their site. HR reached out to schedule an interview. First friendly phone call with HR to check what role and team is suitable and technical interview on phone

Interview Questions
  • basic computer vision and machine learning questions. previous work

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Seattle, WA) in Dec 2018

Interview

In general process are smooth and clear. Hang-Out 1-to-1 interview. After that hang-out interview with Florida and Code Assignment. All is clear and non complicated. After that silence and no response. I've sent email to HR, but no response back. So, start interview with Google and Amazon.

5 people found this interview helpful

Magic Leap

Application

I interviewed at Magic Leap

Interview

I had a phone screen followed by 2 phone interviews. I never heard back from the company after my phone interviews. After a couple of weeks I contacted the recruiter for status (good or bad) ... they ignored my email and I never heard back from the company. I will say ... one of the interviews was with someone who would be my peer. Based on their LinkedIn profile, I feel that I have a much stronger background ... so perhaps they feared competition?

Interview Questions
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Miami, FL)

Interview

I’m so sorry that such a great company with talented employees has such an unprofessional HR. I experienced worse HR on the earth. They never get back to you. They never answer the emails and they are worst in scheduling the interviews and transferring correct information to you.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Magic Leap

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap

Interview

Easy but lots of people in the interview process. You have 2 phone interviews and then 5 in-person interviews. Some of the interviewers did not have any clue how to interview.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 51 - 60 of 163 Interviews