Magic Leap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Lithographic Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter after submitting resume via a friend that told me about the opening. Proceeded with a Skype screening interview with the group leader and another employee. On-site and Skype interviews with 6 different employees including a VP. Still haven't heard back from them with an offer or being turned down. Pretty poor coordination on that front as it has been a month and a half.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with your academic adviser and how you handled it. Questions about photolithography and advanced semiconductor manufacturing. Some basic optics questions. .   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

I had two rounds of video interviews: one with a software engineer with the team that I applied for and another with the manager of the team. The first interview was a coding interview that lasted about an hour. I was asked a coding question that had to do with data structures. The second interview was more holistic. I was asked about the projects I have done in the past and got to learn more about the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

-Phone screen with the Recruiter
    -A couple skype Interviews with hiring manager and other team members
    -On-site interview with leaders and hiring managers (being notified for this took about 2-3 weeks from my initial interview)
    -It was a very pleasant process...long but I understand bc they were combing through a lot of prospects. The logistics and everything were done very well.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my background
      Mini-case type questions (how would you evaluate xyz?)   Answer Question

Director, Non-technical Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dania, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Dania, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied to a couple of different roles online. It took weeks to hear anything, despite having an internal referral. I met recruiters from Magic Leap at a career fair who were dismissive, even though I had a pretty relevant resume and was a local candidate. About a month later, I got in touch with the hiring manager directly (using my own network). Incidentally, I did get a call from a recruiter for a phone screen for one of the roles I had applied for online a couple of days later, but by that point I had already connected with the hiring manger for a more senior role on a different team, so we agreed it was best to move forward with that for the time being. The recruiter told me I could circle back with him if for any reason that didn't work out. I met with the hiring manager for an informational chat about his upcoming hiring needs. He was awesome - totally candid, accessible, and easy to talk to with complete honesty. The conversation went well on both ends and a formal interview was set up. I was upfront about having competing offers pending, so they fast-tracked the process for me, and I went straight into a single day of onsite interviews with 6-7 people (it still took about 2 weeks to schedule it though, and it had to be rescheduled once due to availability of the staff ). Once I was formally in the interview process, the recruiter working with me (B.J. Bigley) did a really fantastic job of keeping me updated the entire time. The time between my first meeting with the hiring manager and my actual start date was about 4 weeks.

Everyone I interviewed with was professional and the conversations felt natural. No brain teasers or trick questions - it seemed they were trying to get a feel for personality more than anything else. The interviews were a little rushed, meeting space was limited (I had one meeting on a stairway), and it was clear the interviewers were rushing from one meeting to the next, sometimes trying to scarf down their meals during our conversations. Some admitted they hadn't had time to look at my background or resume. But this is to be expected at a startup, and I personally enjoyed the energy. I felt my interviewers were candid and genuinely looking for good talent to round out their skill sets.

There were a couple of other people interviewing both days I went to the office. Worth noting: Magic Leap is a casual tech environment, and you will look stupid if you show up wearing a suit or looking too business-y in general. You're better off wearing something that isn't too flamboyant, but shows off your personality a bit.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about collaborative skills and working with difficult teams with lots of moving pieces. Mostly pretty general questions any good candidate should know to prepare for.   1 Answer

Test Automation Contract Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

They originally found me asking if I would be will to relocate across country, I said no, they then came back weeks later asking about a location near me with the same job description. The process seemed forced, they were in a big hurry to schedule my interview. It was obvious the interviewer did read my resume, he also showed up late to the interview which was a google hangout. The interviewer would start talking and then his voice would get softer then louder then softer. Really hard to understand what he was saying i had to concentrate so hard to hear him, in that way it was probably the hardest interview I have ever had. But the technical part was easy.

Interview Questions

• How would you test google hangouts?   1 Answer

Test Engineer, Developer Tools Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap in June 2018.

Interview

Had 1 out of supposedly 4 online interviews. I thought it went pretty well. Never heard a peep for any of the follow on interviews or a rejection. Questions were not too difficult; they were limited to my resume and the thought-process behind test engineering.

Interview Questions

• Pick an application and describe how you would write a test for it.   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Optical Engineer T&M Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Plantation, FL) in June 2018.

Interview

First contacted by a recruiter. Then video interview with hiring manager, followed by another one with one of their lead engineers. Then invited for onsite interview. Everything went very fast until this point. Onsite interview with about 8 people, one after another. Total time spent there was 8 hours. Recruiter told me they would let me know next day, but then heard nothing. After a week got back to me and said they need more time, but that overall the team had liked me. I followed up after 2 more weeks, where I was told they had chosen to hire somebody else. I didn't get feedback although initially it was offered to me, probably due to legal reasons they maybe did not really mean it. I think one of the reasons though was that I was asking for more money than they had budgeted for for that position. I felt I could see it in the face of the recruiter when we were discussing salary and I gave him my number. But overall had a good time. Don't know if I really wanted to work there though. All the engineers sit there lined up at small desks, one next to the other. There are no walls for privacy let alone any cubicles. Its a very tight "open office layout". Even the managers sit together with everybody else. Also they have a take as much PTO as you want policy, which to me more sounds like take as much PTO as you dare. Still the people I met all left a good impression on me.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Magic Leap.

Interview

The processes began with 2x Google Hangout questions. Fairly simple programming questions, think basic brain teasers and simple games.

After this there was an onsite interview with 4x technical interviews and 1 lunch interview. The technical interviews ran the gamut from basic questions you would find in CtCI, to dynamic programing, to pure math. The difficulty of these questions is going to 100% be dependent upon you interviewer.

After this I got an offer that week. The whole process took maybe a month, but some of that was due to scheduling conflicts.

Senior Manufacturing IT Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Magic Leap (Plantation, FL) in April 2018.

Interview

- It all starts with you applying for the position on their website. Even if you are referenced which is their preferred method to attract talent. Since it's a proven fact, great talent only reference great talent.
    - Once the recruitment team gets an eye on your skills and education, you will receive a call from one of the internal amazing recruiters.. They will do the initial interview with you over the phone and learn more about you and your career experience as well as explain in detail what the job you applied for entitles.
    - The next step will be talking with the hiring Manager or Lead over a Hangout call. You won't get a lot of information since they are not able to disclose a lot yet.
    - If you pass the Google Hangout.. then you are set for the next step which will require you to sign a NDA.. Company is very protective of their IP and it should be, they are building Magic; you don't want posers wanting to copying your stuff around.
    - Once you get invited to the Office, depending on which Country you live you will be greeted on the lobby and you will have to sign another NDA where you will explain you are not allowed to take any kind of pictures or discuss anything from the interview with anyone.
    - The interview will be done with a bunch of experts from different departments, so be prepared to be asked different questions from different skills sets. If you didn't lie on your resume you should be fine. People are very laid back at Magic Leap is a revolutionary and very young company.. so they are very casual and very laidback. This isn't a Suit up Company to impress ; even though I did come in a very nice suit for my interview and I recommend you to do the same.. just keep in mind, you will see people walking around in shorts and with hats and is just part of the daily routine.
    - I receive a verbal offer the same day after I left the interview with over 5 Managers and Engineers. We only take the best of the best and you are one of them, and we want you to join us.. I was told that and I was very happy to hear it till this day.
    - After you receive the verbal offer, then comes the Checkup. They will do a thorough check up of your life, including your education.. so ensure everything you wrote is accurate on your resume or this could be a deal breaker on the long run. If you didn't lie then is going to take more than one week for sure.. Mine took a little bit longer cause I am not originally from the states I was born in Cuba and they even went to Cuba to check on my school. Yes they are very serious about your Education and your Work experience. Did I mentioned they only take the best of the best.
    - Once the background check clears, then comes the formal email with the offer letter.. You will be pleased.. they pay handsomely well base on your job description.. and hopefully you get some of those MAGIC SHARES in your offer.
    - You made it all the way through.. then you get welcome by the Welcome Team which get you ready for day 1.. Day 1 is a big thing for any "Leaper" which is how you will be identified moving forward within the Company. You get all the preparation before you are presented to your team..
    - Company is very protective of their IP as I mentioned so please refrain your excitement and don't take any pictures and I mean any kind of pictures.. they have cameras all over and people all over online protecting their Brand and reputation. You are ok to put your title and job description as it was presented to you on Linkedin, etc.. but that is about all you can disclose.
    - Magic Leap have quality recruiters that will ensure you are well informed all the time during the process. So be patient, things run slower than normal because of the volume they have to deal with and all the pressure with their IP.

Interview Questions

• I am not allowed to discuss this with you, I signed an NDA.. and to be quite honest nobody should have anything on this section that have interviewed with Magic Leap as they also signed an NDA... I am sure our Legal Team have better things to do than be behind someone that is not pleased with the process and its posting things that shouldn't be here.
      You will meet with a bunch of Top Talent depending on your position and you will be asked all sort of questions base on your expertise.. If you didn't lie on your resume and you are truly a top notch professional, you should be fine.. The Company is very laid back and people as well.. So Suit up, but don't expect to see others, people come to work in Jean and t-shirts..   2 Answers

Software Engineer, Deep Learning Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Magic Leap in July 2018.

Interview

One phone interview. The interviewer was well prepared and asked a lot. Asked about my research experience and how I would apply my research to their engineering problems. The whole process was enjoyable as the interviewer was very polite.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my research experience and how I would apply my research to their engineering problems.   Answer Question