Mailchimp Data Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

2.0

Data Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was via phone and overall was pleasant. I offered links to supporting websites containing examples of my work so the HR person could refer to them as the interview proceeded. The HR person was polite and although it was not what I would consider to be a technical interview, (well a deep one anyway), we still covered a lot of ground about what the job entailed and required. The interview was positive and from my point of view seemed as if it was going quite well - the HR person described scenarios and I was able to articulate approaches to solving those problems in a general sense. While the experience was positive and the company seemed to be quite interested in proceeding to the next step it all came to a grinding halt when the HR person indicated the salary range for the position which was A LOT lower than the job I currently occupy (doing similar things).

Unless I massively misunderstood the nature of the work (a Data Science job) I think their range was low. I suppose they might be thinking that it was an entry to intermediate position although it wasn't articulated to me that way. It seemed like they wanted someone well versed in languages like R, Python, Excel, SQL and capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously (I'm a researcher - I do all of the above and more) . So - I'm not sure where the disconnect was. Put another way - I've been interviewing with a number of area companies (Atlanta) for Data Science positions and the salaries are much more in line with (if not more than) what I currently make so I'm not sure why they are coming in comparatively low. Again, this assumes that I understood what it was they were wanting. I do think that the company probably does do some interesting things so I would encourage others to look at them as a potential employer. Just consider that if you are an "established" or older worker and make over a certain amount then you might have to make some allowances. From my personal research on the company it does seem that their workforce is young so you should also take this into account.

Interview Questions

• The HR person discussed general job responsibilities and posed questions about my knowledge of things like SQL and various Data Science tools although we didn't get into specific technical depth.   1 Answer