Mailchimp Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mailchimp.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, phone call (~40 minutes) with a manager of the Site Reliability department, google hangout (~1 hour) with four members of the SRE team. In the last round, each team member had a list of questions they were going through. No coding challenge or looking at code I'd written.

Interview Questions

• Explain what happens when you type 'google.com' into your browser and press enter, in as much detail as you can.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

Referred by another engineer working there to a recruiter. The recruiter messaged me on LinkedIn, contacted back the same day and set up a quick 'get to know you' phone call. Scheduled a phone interview with one of the software engineer managers. After that scheduled an on-site group interview with other engineers: Two software engineer managers, API Engineer, and a Software Engineer who was a former Intern. The recruiter was great about my updating me on the interview process and what would come next and when to be expected to be contacted and also how to prepare for the interview. They will let you know if it will be technical or not.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what MailChimp is or does? Tell us about some of your projects? If your friends can describe you in what word, what word would that be? What do you do outside of school?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fixed rate for Interns so no negotiations.

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in July 2018.

Interview

The process was very quick. The phone interview took about 20 minutes and felt very conversational. After the interview a talent scout emailed me saying that they would like to move forward with an in-person interview. I was walked through the office and then had a 30-minute interview that was a bit more technical than the phone screening. The questions were more in-depth and specific to what I would be doing in the role. Three days later I was contacted to come on board for the fall. The team was very quick in responding to emails and made the interview process very enjoyable!

Interview Questions

• Have you had any experience working with designers/copywriters?   1 Answer

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied online through their website. Was contacted by a recruiter via email then set up a call with the recruiter to talk about MailChimp my background.

After that, a phone screen with a software engineering manager mostly about my background and what I was looking for in a new position.

After following up with the recruiters, two weeks later was scheduled to have a face to face interview and send an example of code that I wrote that made me proud. The itinerary consisted of three one hour panels with engineers of various levels, quality assurance, and senior management. One panel was about the code sample, and the other two panels were lots of behavioral questions and giving concrete examples of various scenarios.

All of the recruiters and people I interviewed with were very pleasant, helpful, friendly, and all genuinely seemed to love working at MailChimp. The interview was not intimidating like these interviews can get, was really laid back, and thought-provoking.

Did not get an offer, but I'll try again at a later date when I have more concrete examples & work experience mentoring younger developers. I believe that is what they are looking for in a Sr. Software Engineer.

I would definitely want to work at MailChimp based on my experience.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about team related scenarios, architectural, approaches to development, mentoring, and system-wide decision making. They really want to know how you think and work with others.   Answer Question

Network Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

I completed a phone interview that lasted about 30 mins. Everything seemed well and was told by the recruiter to expect a face to face interview within the next week. Exactly a week later instead of receiving an email requesting a face to face interview I received a generic rejection letter. Felt really impersonal and misleading.

Interview Questions

Mailchimp Response

Apr 25, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the constructive feedback and it is appreciated as we continue to improve our interview process. We apologize that you had a less-than-excellent experience interviewing with MailChimp... More

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mailchimp in April 2017.

Interview

2nd interview - supposed technical interview. No actual technical questions were asked. Interviewer asked me to walk through my background, and asked why I wanted the position. After the first interview question (2-part), the interview abruptly ended, (15 minutes, scheduled for 1hr), and we were done. I have no idea why I was selected for a 2nd interview, if there was no intention to follow through with an entire interview.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by someone in HR. Spoke to them on the phone about my background, resume, and interest in MailChimp. After, I had an on-site hour interview with three members of the SRE team. Half of the interview was talking about my resume and experience. The second half was a technical problem, coding on a whiteboard.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had an initial call with an internal Recruiter and 4 in-person interviews. Two of the interviews were 1:1 and 2 were group interviews. I met with people that would be in my reporting structure as well as members of cross-functional teams.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background.   1 Answer

UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mailchimp.

Interview

A senior recruiter reached out via email and we setup a phone call for the next day. The call started out with the standard fare, but as we got into my work experience he began to tell me what it is that I like rather than asking me. He proceeded to tell me that this role would be working on a SaaS application and that it was boring design and that I probably wouldn't like it. I rebutted that I did actually like it, that it was what I had been interviewing for and moving my career towards.

What he said next is the best part. He told me that he was 99% sure I wouldn't get the job. Look, I'm all for transparency and cutting through the BS, but that was downright unprofessional and completely uncalled for. I was stunned and literally speechless. We sat there in silence because he had no follow up to that and I certainly couldn't have said what I was thinking.

About a month or so later he sent me an informal email (from some ridiculously long [random_string of_characters]@dropbox.jazz.co) letting me know I hadn't gotten the job. Apparently the "99% sure" comment wasn't clear enough and needed to be reiterated. I guess when you're a company that has highly sought after positions it gives you the right to be disrespectful. Silly me for expecting more.

Interview Questions

Mailchimp Response

Apr 25, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for the feedback and we apologize that you did not have a positive experience when interviewing with us. Every candidate should have a positive experience with MailChimp and... More

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in May 2018.

Interview

I don't think I've encountered a smoother interview process than I experienced at MailChimp. A week or so after applying online, I was contacted for a phone screening. A week later, I was invited into their offices (which are beautiful) for an in person interview.

I met first with a group of managers in the group I was applying for. It became clear that this group either had solid training for conducting interviews or a really cohesive style (or both) that facilitated a structured but non-rigid format for our discussion, which I really enjoyed.

I next met with a team of engineers who I would be working with day to day. This interview was much more technically oriented but mostly consisted of discussion of experience with certain technologies and giving examples of how I approached specific problems with those technologies. At no point was there a "please go to the whiteboard and write psuedo code for inverting a binary tree" type of question, which I appreciated.

A week later I was extended an offer and rather than painful or cagey negotiation tactics, the process consisted of very honest conversations in both directions. During one of the interviews, one of MailChimp's core values was communicated to me as "Listen hard, change fast". In my final conversations with the team, I really saw this exemplified and saw them listen to me and respond in kind.

In the end, due to factors external to MailChimp, I was not able to accept the offer, a difficult choice - but ultimately I hope I have the opportunity down the line to work with the people there.