Mailchimp Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mailchimp

2.8

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in May 2018.

Interview

I don't think I've encountered a smoother interview process than I experienced at MailChimp. A week or so after applying online, I was contacted for a phone screening. A week later, I was invited into their offices (which are beautiful) for an in person interview.

I met first with a group of managers in the group I was applying for. It became clear that this group either had solid training for conducting interviews or a really cohesive style (or both) that facilitated a structured but non-rigid format for our discussion, which I really enjoyed.

I next met with a team of engineers who I would be working with day to day. This interview was much more technically oriented but mostly consisted of discussion of experience with certain technologies and giving examples of how I approached specific problems with those technologies. At no point was there a "please go to the whiteboard and write psuedo code for inverting a binary tree" type of question, which I appreciated.

A week later I was extended an offer and rather than painful or cagey negotiation tactics, the process consisted of very honest conversations in both directions. During one of the interviews, one of MailChimp's core values was communicated to me as "Listen hard, change fast". In my final conversations with the team, I really saw this exemplified and saw them listen to me and respond in kind.

In the end, due to factors external to MailChimp, I was not able to accept the offer, a difficult choice - but ultimately I hope I have the opportunity down the line to work with the people there.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in February 2013.

Interview

Only emails were sent during the whole process, no phone calls. There were two interviews, one with 2 people on separate occasions and the other with one person. During the second interview there was a technical support simulation test that was timed.

Interview Questions

• How to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? A lot of, "what would you do in this situation?"   1 Answer

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough and laid back. I appreciated the conversational style of questions, and that general talking was also incorporated. I got the feeling that interviewers were not just getting answers to their questions, they were also getting a better understanding of you as a person to see if your personality would be a good fit for the position and for the culture at MailChimp.

Technical Support Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and heard back via e-mail that they were interested in moving forward with me. This led to taking a timed test online, wherein quantity wasn't so important, as was quality of the answers. A phone interview followed within a week after that, followed by an in-person by a 3-person panel. The turn-around was amazingly fast, the office is remarkably cool, and the people were genuinely nice.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation wherein a customer, after having something explained to them, still did not understand, and what steps you took from there.   Answer Question

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

I spoke with a very friendly gentleman from Human Resources. He set me up for 1 phone screening. Then after that he scheduled me for 1 face-to-face interview. Two weeks later, I attended a 3 on 1 panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What does it feel like to receive bad customer service?   1 Answer

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very long. I applied via the Mailchimp website and was contacted by a recruiter to set up an initial phone interview. Very simple, chat with the recruiter and learn a bit more about the role. The next phone interview was with the Team lead or Manager and I answered questions about myself as well as my skills. After that I was bought in for a face to face presentation interview with the team lead and one designer. The process was about 3 - 4 weeks due to scheduling I assume. It was a nice experience and I liked that the recruiter was great with communication. I only wish that the job description or what they were looking for was a bit clearer. The offices are great and it seems like a great place for young adults. Unfortunately, I did not get the job, but hope to work with Mailchimp one day! Good luck to all who apply! :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in December 2015.

Interview

Basic phone screening by the recruiter followed by two onsite panel interviews with two teams a SRE group and Systems Engineers.
    The question where basic questions trying to match previous experience with the role which turn into a lot of yes or no questions with out any breadth or depth of knowledge.
    Afterwards their asked I take a online screening through trueabliity.com where there was various tasks to complete covering Linux system tasks like configure a crontab, delete an immutable directory, confine a users login to two simultaneous logins. perform some admin tasks for a mysql and apache server. and write three python scripts.

Interview Questions

• Do you know Puppet?
      Do you know Mysql?
      Have you been a linux system admin before?   Answer Question

Mailchimp Response

Apr 25, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We will share your feedback with the team and apologize that you did not have a positive experience interviewing with us. Thank you for letting us know and we will do our best to continue to improve... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mailchimp (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

Several phone interviews and on-site in Atlanta. I definitely enjoyed the interview process and speaking with members of their technical staff.

There was an issue with the hotel but Mailchimp did reach out to me afterwards and offered to help sort that out.

Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

Multi-round interview, technical and non-technical. Phone screen, followed by a phone interview, and then an/multiple in person interview(s). All pretty conversational, with people who are friendly and want to find more strong coworkers.

Interview Questions

• Questions were about my background, skills, knowledge of technologies, some technical questions, some hypothetical circumstances   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mailchimp.

Interview

First I applied online. This was followed by a non-technical phone interview, and eventually an on-site interview with four of their developers. The on-site interview involved some discussion of technical concepts in a general sense, but they did not ask any actual programming/whiteboard questions. My impression was that it seems like they are seeking a "culture fit" above all else. The interview lasted about an hour.