Main Street Hub Social Media Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 19, 2017

2.9

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I had a referral from a current employee, so my interview process may have been quicker than most.

Within 48 hours after applying, I received an email invite for a phone interview with a recruiter. The 30 min. phone interview was general personality and work ethic questions, and gave a rundown of the position, compensation, and expectations. At the end of the call I was told I would receive a "work product" via email to complete.

The work product had multiple parts: Yelp reviews to respond to, original social media content to create, an existing social media post to critique, tweets from potential customers to engage with, and a blurb about a brand with good social media to write.

Two days later I received another email saying they'd like to bring me into the office to interview with the recruiter and the head of the content team. I asked for feedback from the work product and received it quickly.

The in-person interview was roughly 90 minutes, and included an office tour. The recruiter was very friendly and playful and made the entire process feel welcoming and casual. She asked more in-depth personality and work ethic questions, again to ensure I'd be a good fit for the company and vice versa. The head of content was also very friendly and easy to connect with. She asked more challenging questions that were focused on specific past examples of stress management, team building, giving and receiving feedback, and handling weaknesses.

Within 48 hours I was asked for a reference list, and within 24 hours of that I was sent an offer letter and breakdown of benefits options.

My entire interview process lasted a week and a half and there was regular communication via email with the recruiter, who was very helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions

• If we spoke with your previous coworkers, what would they say about you?   Answer Question
    • How does Main Street Hub fit in with your long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • How are you currently working to better yourself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied through a referral from an employee. Got an e-mail for a phone interview, and was then asked to complete a work product assignment to get a feel for the type of work I would be doing if I were to get the job. After a week or so I got an invited for an interview on site. I met with my recruiter, and then with the head of the department. I wasn't asked many difficult questions or any of the more odd ones I read on here. Overall the interview process was easy. However, like others have mentioned on here I got a rather impersonal rejection e-mail, which felt odd after going through the whole process and even meeting with employees in person.

Application

Interview

Multiple Calls with the same recruiter, followed by a single call with a supervisor of the department. They kick off the interview process with an assignment which is a breeze if you know what you are doing ( have the skills they list in the job posting).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX).

Interview

Filled out a 'work product' before the interview, very professional interview, multiple stages, in total interview with around 5 different people, took a while. First interview was with the group of people I would be working with, then the hiring manager, then another manager, and then the hiring manager again. The work product is pretty easy, don't overthink it.

Interview Questions

• They kept asking me about grad school, whether or not I wanted to go and how soon.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Fayetteville, AR) in April 2017.

Interview

They send a work assignment after you apply then get in touch with you about a phone interview. Phone interview about half an hour and nothing too in-depth. They ask a lot about what you know about their company and the specific position you are applying for. The girl interviewing me was very nice and didn't ask anything too tricky.

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Main Street Hub.

Interview

I applied online. The position itself entails being the voice behind a customer's social media, so I was required to respond to a fake Yelp! review along with submitting my resume. The recruiter e-mailed me a few days later and sent me a "work product assignment" which was a great opportunity to 1) get a feel for what you would do on the job and 2) show some creativity. I was told I'd move on to the "next step" which was a 30 minute interview through a Skype-like program. It went well and felt very laid-back. The recruiter then sent me a cognitive test that I had to complete online. It was random and felt a little unnecessary, but whatever floats their boat. Then I was on to the next and final step. This time, I went to the actual location (right on Congress, the views were impeccable) and interviewed with three separate employers back to back. Again, it was very casual, but I was still nervous which affected my interview. Looking back, there were some questions I could have answered better, but I let it be known that I was a hard-worker and loved what their company stood for. After completing the whole interview process and getting a tour of the office, I was really hoping to snag the job. I was disappointed that I went through that extensive process to not receive an offer. Regardless, the people seem cool, and I wish them the best.

tl;dr

The steps:

1.) Submit a resume online along with a response to a fake Yelp! review.
    2.) Complete the work product assignment. (If you love writing and social media, it's great.)
    3.) 30 minute Skype-like interview
    4.) A cognitive test
    5.) Three 30-minute back-to-back interviews
    6.) Wait for an offer

I'd still go through the process because of what the company does and stands for.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any type of food, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Before interviewing, I was required to complete a writing exercise, which included both creative writing and responding to reviews, which you would do if hired. Then, I had a video call interview with a recruiter. He was very pleasant and things seemed to go well, but I did not receive an offer. Overall, a great experience!

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Main Street Hub in August 2016.

Interview

Applied via job search website. Received an email the next day giving me a "work product assignment" which contained writing prompts (related to social media posting and creative writing) for them to see your level of creativity and writing ability.

About a week later, I was contacted via email to set up a video interview, as I was applying from out of state (not sure what the process would be otherwise). The video interview felt relatively laid back and was a conversation where my hiring contact read questions off a sheet and took some notes about my answers. Nothing too out of the ordinary, a lot of the same things I read on here.

After the first video interview, I was emailed a link to a cognitive assessment, which I had not read about in other reviews on here. The assessment was something I had done for other companies previously in the hiring process, but felt unrelated to the role as a whole (heavy on math in addition to logic questions). I understand that the score from these can indicate if somebody would be good in a variety a different roles, but it seemed like overkill considering it wasn't the end of the hiring process...

The next step was yet another video interview (1.5 hours long) with 3 more employees, coordinated by the contact from the first interview. These employees represented different rankings of the career lineage that this position follows. All 3 employees had a sheet of paper to read questions and take small notes. Each person had their own 30 minute time slot to speak with me. Similar to the first interview, it felt quite laid back and casual.

I was told I would hear back from them by the end of the week, and within a few days was asked for 2 references they could contact. I am certain that they did contact my references immediately and spoke with them before the week was over.

I received an offer by the end of the week and was given the weekend to think it over.
    I did not accept the offer for many reasons related to how they are reviewed online by previous employees and clients. I had a bad feeling about the company and read far too many negative reviews to think my experience would be any different.

Upon rejecting their offer of employment, I was sent an exit interview style survey, which stressed it's anonymity and made me feel uncomfortable to complete.

Interview Questions

• Asked a lot of questions about my weaknesses, by different people. Felt quite negative.
      What have former managers/coworkers told you that you need to work on?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a boss you really liked - what were their qualities? Tell me about a boss you didn’t like or get along with - what were their qualities?     Answer Question
    • What fictional character do you relate to most?
      What company or entity’s social media do you follow and why?
      How would you rank your writing on a scale of 1 to 5?
      What's your spirit animal?   Answer Question
    • What is people's biggest misconception of you?   Answer Question
    • What is the best part about working with you?     Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via email after applying and was sent a long assignment in order to prove my qualifications for the position. While I've done assignments for positions before, I've never been sent an assignment that was so long or in depth that early on in the process. Not to mention the assignment seemed very subjective. I never even got to a point in the interview where they asked anything about my background or experience. They based whether or not I moved forward on the assignment alone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and was invited to move on in the process shortly after that. The next step was a work-product assignment, which was extensive, but enjoyable. I liked that it gave me an idea of the work, but it bothered me that all the communication until the in-person interview had been over email.

I was then invited for an interview in their office. I interviewed with three people in succession, who all asked me questions from a piece of paper. A lot of the questions in each interview were about managers: dealing with them, what makes a good one, managing disagreements with them. I left the interview feeling like I didn't have a chance to tell them about anything except how I worked to overcome difficulties with managers.

What made this experience so negative, though, was the fact that they took nearly a month to tell me I hadn't gotten the job. I wrote a thank you note, and then gave them space to follow up. I emailed two weeks later to ask, then received a short, impersonal email a little more than a week after that to let me know I wasn't being brought on. In retrospect, it seems they were right: this was a bad fit for me. However, the lack of courtesy in the process left me with a very bad impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• What fictional character do you relate to most? (or something like that)   Answer Question