Major League Baseball Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Major League Baseball Interview Questions

Interviews at Major League Baseball

2.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

it's quick responding by them after I applied the job online and for set up interview thru email and included details.
    it's very quick and helpful to candidates. I like the process in this company...

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball in September 2017.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn. The recruiter reached out to me. Initially I had a phone screening and then was brought onsite. Recruiter was pretty friendly. Most of them who interviewed me were friendly.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview with online coding (by a Senior Software Engineer):

1. Fizz buzz question
      2. List, Map and Set in detail
      3. Difference between abstract class and interfaces
      4. Final class, final methods and final variables
      5. Online coding again to extend the functionality of a class.

Onsite Interview (5 hour):

1. Implement a contact manager - there are some functions that are stubbed and I had to add the implementation for that. Functions - Add a contact, Add a list of contacts, Search by first name and last name

White boarding questions:

2. Object oriented design for a switch and light problem. Then how will you design for multiple switches to control one light. How will the light handle concurrent requests coming from multiple switches

3. Design an e-commerce store (best 5 things that can be bought) - looking for how we design data models

4. Scalability - pretty much extending on the e-commerce store design. Load balancing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with each member of the team, one-on-one. Each person asked a different range of questions that were applicable to the job. Essentially it came down to: Basic SQL queries, Java OOP design on the white board, static code analysis. Nothing too terribly difficult.
    Met with the manager after meeting with the engineering team. The manager was mostly just confirming that I was normal and could work in a group.

Interview Questions

• Given a snippet of Java code (printed out) what would the output be after the execution of the program ran.   1 Answer

Got a better offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

After a screening phone call, I had two on-site interviews with different groups of engineers. After the first on-site interview, neither side was sure it was a good fit, but they were happy to schedule an extra on-site interview (I believe they usually just do the one on-site). Overall, the interview process was quite a lot nicer than at other companies I've interviewed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, heard back from a recruiter requesting to do a phone screen. Set up a time, and then never heard from them. Emailed the recruiter with no response. Good job.

Interview Questions

• What time are you available?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball.

Interview

Standard interview process. Initial recruiter call, followed by a technical phone screen and culminating with several onsite interviews. You'll meet with other engineers and managers of teams that are interested in hiring you.

The engineers there were are friendly and seemed collaborative.

The negative experience comes from the recruiting team, the recruiter made an effort to emphasize that decisions and responses were made within a business day. However, in actuality, I never got any feedback

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Major League Baseball in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the next day via email to set up a phone interview for later that week. The phone interview was then rescheduled twice before it finally occurred, with a completely different person than the original interview. The first few questions were the basics about my availability, if I had any other offers, and my knowledge of MLB versus MLB Advanced Media. Then came the "tell me about yourself" question, which I was only able to answer in three or so words before I was interrupted by the interviewer who told me that he could "just look at your resume, since it's right in front of me". From there things only went downhill, the next questions were about my knowledge of SAS and R (statistical computing software) and once I informed the interviewer of my favorite R function he immediately became audibly nervous and quickly ended the interview, telling me that I would "know by the end of this week or the beginning of next week" what their decision was as far as my future. I have never heard back from anyone at MLB Advanced Media to this day.

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later got an email from the recruiter inviting me to come in. They are changing up a lot of things internally so any miscommunication/errors/lack of responses are coming from that. They were very responsive with me but its a busy time for them so other reviews that complain about this I don't think this is how they usually are, especially with people they want to move forward with.

I came in and met with 4 total people in separate groups of 2. Interviews were easy enough, I did my research before hand. They all gave me their cards and I followed up with appropriate thank you notes. I was left waiting for a good 25 mins in the interview room after the interview for the recruiter to come, lol! But she was very sweet and apologetic and from there we talked about salary and compensation.

I was invited to come back again for a half day of interviews, was about 4 hours total where I met 7 different people back to back no breaks. Met ad ops, sales, VPs, directors. There I learned how they were changing the department and that the role was originally a junior role they found they needed more senior people to fill due to work loads and other challenges. Everyone I met was very nice and it really does seem like a great place to work.

2 weeks later I got a job offer. Unfortunately, it was way below my asking and even further below what the recruiter had initially led me to believe it would be. They do have some AMAZING benefits though, especially medical. I would have loved to work there if the offer/position had been right but I believe I am a bit too senior for this role and the benefits could not offset this enough. My advice to anyone interviewing is to make sure when you do have the compensation talk to be a bit more pushy for a number. I enjoyed the experience but I wouldn't have wasted their time further if I knew it was to be so low.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for MLB?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball in January 2012.

Interview

Had an in-depth phone interview, followed by in-person interview with my direct boss and a co-worker of his who I ended up working a lot with, too. Direct boss kept me continually updated throughout the process unlike I've ever experienced before. He was just as good as he seemed initially, I wish I could say that for everyone else I met in the company.

Interview Questions

• It shouldn't be unexpected, but there is a baseball knowledge test. Know all award-winners from the prior year and have a pretty good about baseball history in the last decade.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They wouldn't negotiate. In retrospect, if I knew cost of living in New York, I may well have not accepted.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

took about a month but eventually got in an interview. the process had me meet with 4 different people at 4 different times so it proved to be difficult. Once i got the in person interviews went thru one more phone interview and was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been in digital   1 Answer