Major League Baseball Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Major League Baseball Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Major League Baseball

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online for the SF office and got an email from recruiter a few days later. I live about 2 hours away so she let me know up front there was no relocation package available. Phone conversation with her went well, she was very pleasant. Scheduled a phone interview with a senior developer, was asked core Java, Oracle questions. About a week later, onsite interview, 3 separate one on ones with developers, short coding exercises in Java on pass by value and recursion. I was asked questions about databases, did some whiteboard coding, asked to create a database connection. A week later, I'm emailed about setting up a time to talk to the hiring manager. In the phone call with him, he said they would be extending an offer and asked how much I wanted. I told him a number and he said he could get me to that and it might be a little less, and names his number. Then he goes on a long explanation about how I shouldn't split hairs over money because this would be a really great opportunity for me. I asked if they would offer any signing bonus since there was no relocation assistance and he responds "well you're not that good". A few days later, another recruiter contacts me out of NY, asks how much I want and goes through standard HR questions. I tell her the same number that I told the hiring manager. Another week later, she calls me up and says we have an offer for you, and it's (less than what hiring manager told me he could get me). I told her I had a conversation with the hiring manager and he had named a number which was higher, her response is "oh he told me this was what you wanted". I reminded her of our conversation and said I had told him the exact same number. The next day they send the official offer letter over, I respond saying I will move forward if they give me what he had previously suggested. At this point she responds almost immediately saying that my offer had been rescinded.

Interview Questions

• Core java, explain interfaces and abstract classes, write a recursive method, explain inner and outer joins, explain RESTful web services.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Major League Baseball

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview which took around 30 to 45 minutes. Then I was invited for an onsite interview which consisted of 4 hour long interviews, each with 2 people from the engineering team. The questions were a mix of technical questions and talking about projects, experience, etc. The people I interviewed with were all pretty friendly.

Interview Questions

• Questions about past experience, projects. Elevator design question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

The first step was a phone screen where I had to write Java and Javascript via Collabedit. The next step was a 5 hour interview, meeting with 2-3 people at a time for 1 hour each. The whiteboarding was generally high-level, and I wasn't asked many highly technical questions (aside from some Javascript syntax problems).

I was told I should receive a response within 48 hours, when in reality, it took more like 5 days. It also took multiple emails and voicemails to get a response. I had offers from other companies on the table, so I did not appreciate being left in the dark.

Interview Questions

• How to design a "contact manager" where contacts are stored in a Java collection (opposed to a SQL database)   Answer Question
    • How to design a SQL database to store contacts   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. After we talked on the phone, I had an on-site in MLBAM's Chelsea office. The interview itself was fine, if a bit disorganized. I met with six people (one-by-one), and it took a little over four hours. The questions were fairly standard: some were design or skill focused (based on my current work, general data structures stuff, etc.), some required actual coding (on a whiteboard or laptop), and some were the general job search things like why I'm looking for a new employer.

Unfortunately, this is the only place I've ever had an on-site interview and then didn't receive any feedback. I was told I'd get feedback within a week, and I never received anything. Very unprofessional

Interview Questions

• Write a program that prints all the ways to make $1 from a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter.   1 Answer
    • How would you rate your Java skill from 1 (beginner) to 10 (expert)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter screen phone call, 45min phone semi-technical from engineering manager, then a 5 hour in person interview day of mostly casual chatting, system design, and mild algo. As of EOY 2015 there was an active hiring drive and I think I was picked up mostly due to business needs for manpower.

Interview Questions

• Mergesort, API design, hash sets. Project management, some javascript.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY).

Interview

They needed to have a fast turnaround for interviewing (maybe just be cause the holidays were coming up) and for offers responses (offer response turnaround was probably industry standard) because they're hiring so fast. Great interviewers and interview process, got time to ask lots of questions and get to know a good breadth of people (met 4).

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

One day, about 3 hours, met with 4-5 people. Each person had their own questions. Wasn't really any code testing, mostly just conversational about my experience and my career goals. Each person was from a different team.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with Node.js?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to by a recruiter for multimedia engineering.

Had a recruiter phone screen where he told me about the role and asked me about my background.

A few days later I was set up for a technical screen. Not to bad, mostly data structures and a coding question or two.

I was brought onsite and the process was fairly seamless.

Application

Interview

Around 1 hour long technical screen sharing interview followed by a 4 hour on site visit to NY. Sounds like an interesting position and a smart, friendly team. However, the interviews were poorly planned and communication afterwards was truly terrible. That kinda ruined an otherwise nice interview experience.

Interview Questions

• I would recommend studying OO design, scaling, databases lite, and to be prepared to discuss your philosophy on testing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Major League Baseball (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

it's quick responding by them after I applied the job online and for set up interview thru email and included details.
    it's very quick and helpful to candidates. I like the process in this company...