Makerbot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Makerbot Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.6

Retail Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

Makerbot gave me quite the run around during the interview process. First they offered me a phone interview in which they asked about my work experience and how much knowledge I had about the 3D printing industry. The phone interview took less than 30 minutes and was fairly painless.

They invited me to come into their office to speak with a few members of the training team. The in-person interview was almost all questions about how much I knew about 3D printing. They pretty much quizzed me.

Once that was over I got an e-mail that same day asking me to do a 15 minute presentation for the team on the basics of 3D printing. I did A LOT of research on Makerbot products, Thingiverse, 3D rendering software, etc. I presented to a room of about 10-15 people and had to answer some of their questions afterwards. An HR person walked me out of the room she told me I did a great job and that she was impressed with my knowledge in 3D printing and how well I presented. At that point I thought I had the job for sure. I was asked to wait in their lobby while HR and the team deliberated. They then asked if I could come back to interview 1:1 with their director of HR because she was on lunch. At that point I was a little annoyed, I didn't want to commute back to Makerbot HQ for a 3rd time. I asked if I could just wait for her to come back. They allowed it. An hour later I met with the HR director. She asked me very basic interview questions like "What are your strengths?".

After I had met with her, a member of the training team took me aside and said the company was making some changes internally and that the Retail Trainer job might not be a thing after the changes. She said they'd keep in touch and let me know if they still want to keep the Retail Trainer role--meaning...they'll let me know if the job will still exist for me...it's been over 3 months since then and I haven't heard anything since. Upon looking at their Careers page I see that the position is no longer there. So either they kept the role but hired someone else or the role was phased out completely. Either way interviewing with them was a total waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your training method. How would you teach a class on 3D printing?   Answer Question

Vice President of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Was a very disjointed process. Never felt very warm - and it was very much a sausage factory, i.e. - they never got to know you. You were led from room to room meeting people. This was pre-acquisition so perhaps they were in between things - but it just felt like a horrible process and not a place I'd want to work at. Their CEO literally dropped in late during my presentation and was completely unfriendly. Not someone I got a good vibe from.

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions regarding selling hardware and the challenges that entails. So this may not be difficult for folks from that background, but for me, was difficult.   Answer Question

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied via indeed and was contacted by hr fairly quickly. We scheduled an on-site interview. I was to meet with the vp of sales. When I arrived, I had to wait a bit, which allowed me to observe the office. It was a very open space. People were having meetings on the sofas out in the open. There were toys displayed on the shelf behind the receptionist, which gave it a fun vibe I suppose. The interview took place on those sofas as well, which were very close to the employees there, and that made me feel uncomfortable. The interview was very short. He mostly focused on who I thought their target audience were, and if I had a certain budget, what would I do with it. The whole thing just felt very rushed.

Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

I had a phone interview regarding a potential design position. The questions were vague and more on how I felt about management more so than specific questions on experience.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever managed someone before. Would I be comfortable with acting as a mentor.   1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter sent a hacker rank test for me to complete which was simple enough. I had made it to the on-site interview where they had a panel of different people talk to me, including a whiteboard interview and tech assessment.

Less than a week later they wanted me to come back for another on-site interview and interview with another team. I did and within the week they told me that they were going to give me an offer. The only problem was that they had to wait for their budget to be cleared, and that I was the only person in that pipeline. They were assuring me that it was only a matter of time until I would get the offer letter, being that I had another standing offer. I waited for their budget to be cleared and eventually gave up after 3 weeks of waiting. Two months after they told me I was going to get an offer, I got an email saying that the position had been filled.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Makerbot in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through online, had a phone screen then had a few interviews with team members in Brooklyn office. After two days I got an offer. A week later, they emailed me that this position was on hold due to their budget issue. Very unprofessional in their hiring process. Wouldn't recommend here.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

After submitting my resume, HR reached out to me to set up a call with the manager I would be reporting to if I got the job. I had a nice phone conversation with her and a few days later I was scheduled for a video conference with more members of the marketing team.

Interview Questions

• How much I knew about the 3D Printing Industry and how MakerBot has been working to distinguish themselves in the market   Answer Question

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Pretty standard process but was asked more general questions than task related. Interview lasted not more than 30 minutes. Overall setting was relaxed and interviewer was pleasant. But interview was conducted in an open space (meaning you could see employees walking around) which could be really distracting or they might be testing applicants focus skills.

PR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for this job through a job listing site. I had 2 phone interviews and then they had me come in for a final interview down to their office in Brooklyn. This was a huge journey for me from upstate New York and I had to miss a few classes but I figured it was worth it. The interview was only about 15 minutes which led me to wonder why we couldn't do this over video chat. They told me they would get back to me with an answer within a week and never ever sent me any kind of response. I even emailed them asking about it. I find that incredibly rude since I took so much time to go all the way down there etc. they couldn't take 5 minutes out of their day to tell me I didn't get the position.

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

The interview consists of the team you are joining walking you through the factory floor followed by a sit-down interview. I dressed in a suit which felt out of place. Parking is impossible and they don't set you up for a spot. Looks like they are looking for younger guys who think that 3D printing is an awesome boost to their resume.