Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group Interview Questions

Interviews at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group

2.8

Front Desk Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group.

Interview

Applied online. Got a response email with an invite to a phone interview. Once completed I got invited to a personal interview that lasted about 30 mins with 2 people from HR.

Assistant SPA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (Bedford, MA) in May 2019.

Interview

They sent an initial email, and we scheduled a time for a phone interview. It wasn’t so much an interview as it was listening to the director talk about his history with the company, where he’s from, various accolades the spa received. He told me the next step would be a phone interview, which I found odd because I was already on the phone with him.

Assistant Guest Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (Washington, DC) in February 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward. I met the head of HR at a career fair. Interviewed with the Guest Services Manager, the Department Director, and the General Manager.

Interview Questions

• General questions about the brand, why you want to work for the hotel group, and your career plans going forward.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

Uncomfortable, unfriendly, and inhospitable. Between the pseudo lawyer type in HR and The GM ( Director) of bar of which neither could offer up a smile or an ounce of warmth, why would anyone feel like joining a team with no joy or personality? Not me.

Interview Questions

• I like to see what your analytical skills are. A story has a beginning, a middle and an end...   1 Answer

Learning and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

What an absolutely despicable group of people. I interviewed with two people back to back - the HR director, followed by the assistant director. The HR director showed up half an hour late, and warned me that he was under the influence of some type of drug following a medical procedure, and spent the entire time sharing details of his personal life, while attempting to extract details of mine. He then belittled my lack of hospitality experience, despite my many years of teaching and training. Following this, he began to quiz me on the various jobs within a hotel, asking me to define vocabulary words that a 6 year old would know. He offered me no opportunity to discuss my background, and simply walked out of his office to a meeting.

Next, I met with the assistant director of HR, and he couldn't have been nastier. He asked me a series of trivial, generic questions, and repeatedly cut me off and sneered and rolled his eyes at me as I spoke. On the way out, rather than handing me his business card, he told me to pick one up from the pile on the table.

During the course of the interview, I learned that the salary for the position was about 40% below the market value for similar roles, and that it was "not negotiable." They also didn't get back to me for 2 months with their standard rejection letter.

For a company that prides itself on being one of the elite hotel chains (sorry, groups) in the world, they should try to extend as much hospitality to their applicants as they do their guests. Truly a reprehensible experience with utterly vile people. Never again would I consider working there under any circumstances!

Interview Questions

• What is a concierge? What is a room attendant? Yes, seriously.   Answer Question

MIT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (State College, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online and had an interview with two HR on campus for MO at D.C, sent two thank you letter to them and never heard anything back, which is very disappointed at their HR.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for us?   1 Answer

Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (Las Vegas, NV) in December 2017.

Interview

very friendly and formal interview, must arrive in formal clothing and must have knowledge of the company, they were very friendly and it is a very personal interview, 1 on 1

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen, GM, HR, F & B Manager

Called me and asked general questions for the phone screen. GM interview was surprising. HR folks were pleasant, but a little stuffy. Toured me around the Restaurant and Bar, nice facility.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (Miami, FL).

Interview

three interviews: one with direct supervisor/manager, one with the director from the department and one with human resources, then a urinary drug test and background check, after that job offer.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The Interviewer was late for close to an hour for the scheduled interview. However, she was quite friendly and was apologetic about it. Overall, the Interview process went quite smoothly.